• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Proposed Nations Championship

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
This is certainly much better.

If I was to take a cynical approach to the last couple of weeks I'd almost suggest that the NZ Herald article suggesting there would be no promotion/relegation was an intentional leak to show to those countries against relegation (supposedly Italy and Scotland) that the rugby world would absolutely not accept that.

Yep BH, or more likely the Herald made a lot of it up!!

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
I hope it’s only rumors but just read a UK based article stating the French and English clubs are thinking about suing World Rugby about the world league proposal. If true this could be a pivotal point in the balance of power in rugby.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
The investment firm that now owns 27% of EPR now wants to take a 30% stake in 6N, with obvious implications for World League:

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby...-stake-offer-could-impact-on-new-world-league

£100 Mn one-off cash injection would have to be mighty tempting for the 6N Unions over the suggested (best-case?) £14 Mn p.a. from World League.
I did a little reading and supposedly the investment from CVC would precede a move from free-to-air to pay TV for the 6 nations. That would mean to view Pro 14, Super Rugby, Heineken Cup and Internationals (which is something people do, apparently) you would need four separate payTV subscriptions (EPL/Champions League have similar issues). Fans seem to be unanimously against it.

Anecdotally, from what i experienced living there, pay TV is no where near as pervasive as it is here. Most people can't afford it and go to the pub for matches.

Fans seem to be a little more divided on the WR (World Rugby) proposal.

I think we all know money always wins.

CVC certainly did a shite old job with Formula 1.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I'm now seeing it called the Nations Championship rather than World League which will at least prevent any confusion with/ litigation by the folks who own loig :)

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
The investment firm that now owns 27% of EPR now wants to take a 30% stake in 6N, with obvious implications for World League:

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby...-stake-offer-could-impact-on-new-world-league

£100 Mn one-off cash injection would have to be mighty tempting for the 6N Unions over the suggested (best-case?) £14 Mn p.a. from World League.

Will be end of World league or whatever, and will spell the beginning of the end of 6N being such an important tournament, because it on FTA is one of reasons it got so much interest up north I think!

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Anecdotally, from what i experienced living there, pay TV is no where near as pervasive as it is here. Most people can't afford it and go to the pub for matches.
Australia lagged UK on Pay TV take-up since day dot. Even with recent new sources of growth, both countries now would struggle to have a penetratration rate above two-thirds. US is probably closer to 90%.

The euro unions who particularly hate this WR (World Rugby) Nations comp are Ireland and Scotland. CVC's upfront cash will tempt the rest as well.

Could also kill the goose.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Dunno. Is what I've heard. Extra travel, enforced revenue sharing, big clubs threatening to sue … as well as promo/relegation, and their players didn't like it.

I could be wrong.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I get Scotland but why Ireland?
Yes surprised about Ireland and equally bit disappointed with them against promotion / relegation, I personally think World Rugby doing the right thing looking at things like this - as world game big attraction and provides opportunity for next tier to have motivations to be be better with promotion / relegation.

Will be difficult to get NH on board - almost be good if they did a RC at least increased to 6 with promotion / relegation but difficult to see how would work. Stay tuned and watching brief I guess as not looking to start World League till 2022 so don't expect this to be resolved overnight as suspect a few alternative models might be floated.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Will be difficult to get NH on board - almost be good if they did a RC at least increased to 6 with promotion / relegation but difficult to see how would work. Stay tuned and watching brief I guess as not looking to start World League till 2022 so don't expect this to be resolved overnight as suspect a few alternative models might be floated.
Dunno how P/R would work in a 6 team RC but it would be easy to make it 6 teams. Just copy the format of the 6 nations. Would be more interesting as well, imo.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
WR (World Rugby) promising Unions more dosh than CVC:

"The proposed format would be underpinned by a record commercial partnership with leading global sports marketing company Infront, guaranteeing almost £5billion [NZD$9.7b] for investment in the sport over an initial 12-year period (of which more than £1.5b [NZD$2.9b] is guaranteed incremental revenue for the world game)", according to Bill Beaumont.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=12212826

The fact there's a Blatter involved makes me a tad nervous.....

According to the article they've ditched having SF so it's a straight shoot-out, 6N winner v RC winner, thereby shortening thevcomp by a week: I'm not sure that's enough to pacify the Clubs, though.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
WR (World Rugby) promising Unions more dosh than CVC:

"The proposed format would be underpinned by a record commercial partnership with leading global sports marketing company Infront, guaranteeing almost £5billion [NZD$9.7b] for investment in the sport over an initial 12-year period (of which more than £1.5b [NZD$2.9b] is guaranteed incremental revenue for the world game)", according to Bill Beaumont.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=12212826

The fact there's a Blatter involved makes me a tad nervous...

According to the article they've ditched having SF so it's a straight shoot-out, 6N winner v RC winner, thereby shortening thevcomp by a week: I'm not sure that's enough to pacify the Clubs, though.

Yeah, that could be the head turner needed for the Unions to change their minds on the issue. They could give each Union within the structure from division 1 through 3 the highest quoted income of $18m every year, which they won't as I imagine it will be tiered, and still has $100m to spend on development on those outside of the structure. But even half that in div 3 would allow for their national teams to become for all intensive purposes full time professionals. Set up HP units and still have more money then they've ever seen as a Union to develop grassroots Rugby.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Yeah, that could be the head turner needed for the Unions to change their minds on the issue. They could give each Union within the structure from division 1 through 3 the highest quoted income of $18m every year, which they won't as I imagine it will be tiered, and still has $100m to spend on development on those outside of the structure. But even half that in div 3 would allow for their national teams to become for all intensive purposes full time professionals. Set up HP units and still have more money then they've ever seen as a Union to develop grassroots Rugby.
Sounds too good to be true...

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

that'll help!

Gee the money Ireland, Scotland and Wales make for such small unions is commendable/enviable.