• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Proposed Nations Championship

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Latest deadline 22 May and we know castle and co was in Europe discussing world league- wonder whether we will get an update

Be interesting to see. I'm hoping the most recent report was more of the same in regards to trying to disrupt the process and not what we will eventually see. It really should be 2 divisions of 12 teams with the 3rd divisions being made up of the existing regional championships with teams being promoted to cover for the teams from those regions that will feature in the 2nd division.

Relegation has been an issue but a simple solution to that in my opinion is to provide the same funding to both divisions. That's if it's really about the money like they are saying.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Also, not directly related to WR (World Rugby) but a sign of the increasing PE interest in Rugby. CVC has had some preliminary discussions with Major League Rugby in the States.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I feel like i'm missing something, but wasn't the major snag for the 6N's just relegation? The fuck would cutting Fiji and Japan do?

The funds being thrown about would easily cover any losses that are set to be made by RA.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I feel like i'm missing something, but wasn't the major snag for the 6N's just relegation? The fuck would cutting Fiji and Japan do?

The funds being thrown about would easily cover any losses that are set to be made by RA.

No idea but according to the articles the cutting of Fiji and Japan has been rejected. So they should feature.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)

$x split 10 ways > split 12 ways?

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Well yeah, i guess i meant they stood to lose a lot more if relegated than they would gain from the world league. Thus relegation being the major issue.

Without relegation i don't see there being a substantial difference between having Japan + Fiji in or not. Sure, without them each nation gets a little extra. But then, what the fuck are they paying for? A RC v 6N winners match?

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^ I was being slightly facetious 'cos AFAIK the SANZAAR partners had no problem with Fiji & Japan being included & it's hard to see YTF any of the 6N would care one way or t'other. So it's gotta be either $ or being difficult for the sake of being difficult.

EDIT: or they're worried about losing to them.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
It’s the same amount of games as teams already play and in some cases less than they already do.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Given the perilous state of rugby finances for many in the world game if world league gets vetoed because Scotland, Italy and Ireland do not sign up for it those countries unions would have a lot to answer for putting their own interests ahead of the broader growth of the world game which is the bigger win win for all.

hoggy

Trevor Allan (34)
Looking for an explanation. The RA have pretty much put all there eggs in this basket, but do we know the status of broadcasting under this agreement. Presumably an investment company is buying the rights to Test Rugby and the World league that comes with it, it will then on sell those rights to individual broadcasters.

So does that mean Wallaby Test matches will then be behind a pay wall (or highest bidder), especially since Castle just came out the other day in regards to Foxtel, stating that foxtel while pretty cool on Super rugby have maintained there interest in broadcasting the Internationals (presumably RA hoping to bundle in Super/NRC in that mix).

But if they sign onto World Rugby, is it RA"s content to sell???

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Looking for an explanation. The RA have pretty much put all there eggs in this basket, but do we know the status of broadcasting under this agreement. Presumably an investment company is buying the rights to Test Rugby and the World league that comes with it, it will then on sell those rights to individual broadcasters.

So then does that mean Wallaby Test matches will then be behind a pay wall.
Wallaby matches in Australia and New Zealand, and at the world cup are on the anti-siphoning list so theoretically those games would be safe