• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Proposed Nations Championship

hoggy

Trevor Allan (34)
Wallaby matches in Australia and New Zealand, and at the world cup are on the anti-siphoning list so theoretically those games would be safe

Sounds a bloody good deal theoretically, But if they are on an anti-siphoning deal then what interest would Foxtel then have in them.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
This talk of a division between free to air and paywalls is very old-hat. Pretty much everything will be predominantly streamed soon. I guess there might be some free streaming content, but i doubt much.

hoggy

Trevor Allan (34)
This talk of a division between free to air and paywalls is very old-hat. Pretty much everything will be predominantly streamed soon. I guess there might be some free streaming content, but i doubt much.

Streaming or pay TV, but ultimately isn't the business model the same. If the RA can on sell those rights then they are paying the Wallabies for participation only, which appears a bloody good deal (or to good to be true).

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Sounds a bloody good deal theoretically, But if they are on an anti-siphoning deal then what interest would Foxtel then have in them.
Fox still get huge ratings for Wallaby games that are also on free to air. Plus they get the exclusive rights to all the other test matches which would definately drive some subscriptions.

But as others have said, Foxtel may not be the customer being targetted here

hoggy

Trevor Allan (34)
Fox still get huge ratings for Wallaby games that are also on free to air. Plus they get the exclusive rights to all the other test matches which would definately drive some subscriptions.

But as others have said, Foxtel may not be the customer being targetted here

That could be the trick, if they are getting all the other Test matches as part of the package, but would they be paying that to the RA, is it there content to sell, and as you say exactly who is the customer anymore.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
That could be the trick, if they are getting all the other Test matches as part of the package, but would they be paying that to the RA, is it there content to sell, and as you say exactly who is the customer anymore.
I'd imagine it would be broadcaster -> rights owner -> world rugby -> Rugby Australia

hoggy

Trevor Allan (34)
I'd imagine it would be broadcaster -> rights owner -> world rugby -> Rugby Australia

Yes that sounds logical, but I'm curious what discussions then RA are having with Foxtel. Because if that structure is right, then Super rugby becomes its own product in 2021.

Because the Rights owner now owns the rights to the rugby championship in August, so i can't see how the RA can bundle that in with Super rugby as a package (however they may have more money in the bank from there portion from World rugby).

Its all speculation Right now and everything is pretty fluid, but I just wonder the background discussions or options.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Yes that sounds logical, but I'm curious what discussions then RA are having with Foxtel. Because if that structure is right, then Super rugby becomes its own product in 2021.

Because the Rights owner now owns the rights to the rugby championship in August, so i can't see how the RA can bundle that in with Super rugby as a package (however they may have more money in the bank from there portion from World rugby).

Its all speculation Right now and everything is pretty fluid, but I just wonder the background discussions or options.

RA already doesn't sell the rights directly to Foxtel. They are sold by SANZAAR.

The relationship between RA and Foxtel is still critically important because they are the main broadcaster of the game here and with that, the main promoter. That won't change even if another layer is added between RA and Foxtel (or whoever the broadcaster ends up being).

hoggy

Trevor Allan (34)
RA already doesn't sell the rights directly to Foxtel. They are sold by SANZAAR.

The relationship between RA and Foxtel is still critically important because they are the main broadcaster of the game here and with that, the main promoter. That won't change even if another layer is added between RA and Foxtel (or whoever the broadcaster ends up being).

I agree the relationship between RA and Foxtel is critical, but they have just announced a 416$million loss, that in itself is going to change the relationship.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I agree the relationship between RA and Foxtel is critical, but they have just announced a 416$million loss, that in itself is going to change the relationship.

Sure, but that makes it more important for RA to keep working on the relationship.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Nations League concept scrapped:

"Despite strong progress in collaboration with unions, competition owners and International rugby players, including full engagement on the detailed process of financial due diligence, a lack of consensus on key issues, particularly the timing and format of promotion and relegation, left World Rugby with no alternative but to discontinue the project"

https://m.sport24.co.za/Rugby/world-rugby-scraps-controversial-nations-championship-plans-20190619

WTF do we do now?

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Nations League concept scrapped:

"Despite strong progress in collaboration with unions, competition owners and International rugby players, including full engagement on the detailed process of financial due diligence, a lack of consensus on key issues, particularly the timing and format of promotion and relegation, left World Rugby with no alternative but to discontinue the project"

https://m.sport24.co.za/Rugby/world-rugby-scraps-controversial-nations-championship-plans-20190619

WTF do we do now?

We expand the RC to 6 teams and introduce a 2nd Div featuring the next 6 best teams not in Europe. Which would be Tonga, USA, Samoa, Uruguay, Canada and Namibia. Set up promotion and relegation and run it during the current RC window. Link up with the regional bodies of the Americas, Asia and Africa and support integrating them as a 3rd Div featuring 5 teams a piece with the top 2 in the Americas joining the winner of the winner of Asia and Africa in a mini-tournament to determine the winner to be promoted to the 2nd Div. year on year.

It's not the Nations Championship and likely won't be worth near as much but it may have increased value down the line.

VassMan

Darby Loudon (17)
So it pretty much didn't go through cause Scotland and Ireland are scared of being relegated. Why don't they just back themselves to not lose to Georgia in the relegation playoff if they're last of the 6N teams.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^ I think it was only the ten T1 Unions that had to be in unanimous agreement to take it to the next stage, though.

There being no Future Tours program after this year I suppose it opens the way for the SH Unions to demand a fairer share of the revenue they help generate in Europe every November.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Can't see why WR (World Rugby) should have been prepared to die in the ditch on the question of promotion/relegation. Just get the structure implemented and maybe try to change it in a few years time.

Bandar

Bob Loudon (25)
Can't see why WR (World Rugby) should have been prepared to die in the ditch on the question of promotion/relegation. Just get the structure implemented and maybe try to change it in a few years time.

Because their main goal is to grow the game in different markets - how do they do that with out the ability of USA, Brazil, China, Germany or Spain to play at the top level?

Without the promotion/relegation there would be less opportunity than there is now for lower nations to play a match against the 'big 10'

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
start following Japanese club rugby really closely?
Probably closer to the truth than we care to admit.

Look at Soccer man. South America generally produce the most talented and exciting footballers, but also generally lose all their best players to Europe.

I see absolutely no reason why rugby won't go exactly the same way. All of NZ, SA and Aus are about to lose, probably, thousands of test caps from Super rugby to Europe and Japan.

Just the way of the world. People go where the money is. And people in Europe have no sunlight so they watch sport for their serotonin fix.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
We expand the RC to 6 teams and introduce a 2nd Div featuring the next 6 best teams not in Europe. Which would be Tonga, USA, Samoa, Uruguay, Canada and Namibia. Set up promotion and relegation and run it during the current RC window. Link up with the regional bodies of the Americas, Asia and Africa and support integrating them as a 3rd Div featuring 5 teams a piece with the top 2 in the Americas joining the winner of the winner of Asia and Africa in a mini-tournament to determine the winner to be promoted to the 2nd Div. year on year.

It's not the Nations Championship and likely won't be worth near as much but it may have increased value down the line.

I think it's a lot more likely that if SANZAAR still agree to expand the RC to 6 teams that it'll be with Japan and the US and without any promotion / relegation - at least to start with. Without the extra cash the Nations Championship was going to bring I think there's no way SANZAAR chose Fiji over the US. The US are still weaker at this stage but they have the biggest economy in the world and a fledgling professional league that's basically aligned with the SH season. On the other hand all the top Fijian guys play in Europe and will be told by their clubs to make themselves unavailable for the RC window. I don't know how that can be overcome unless someone very wealthy decides to fund Fijian rugby and basically sign their top 25-30 players to contracts.