• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Proposed Nations Championship

sunnyboys

Bob Loudon (25)
did any of you read the full article??

"The early proposal also includes a tier-two version of the competition operating at the same time as the major league, with a promotion/relegation system used to decide who swaps in and out of the bottom two spots each year."

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Yeah i'll believe that when i've read the fine print twice.

Yeah, if they do look to set up some kind of revenue share on the gate I suspect that will be the point where things begin to get a little bit more complicated and much of the enthusiasm will begin to cool. The only way around that is if the TV money on offer is tempting enough to make that look palatable.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)

"The early proposal also includes a tier-two version of the competition operating at the same time as the major league, with a promotion/relegation system used to decide who swaps in and out of the bottom two spots each year."

I've read that in several articles. Still needs to happen though.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

Who reads?

Again, I'm skeptical. It means all the teams (except the All Blacks obviously) risk having a shocker season and getting relegated, and losing all of the money as a result.

sunnyboys

Bob Loudon (25)
so if its a 12 team comp - that's the 6 Nation bunch plus 4 RC + Japan and Fiji perhaps? so we'd run a RC of 6 teams - only play each other once.
everyone plays 11 tests a year (nz v oz would probably throw in an extra bled to keep that at 2 tests min).

Giving a picture like this

NH teams schedule
5 tests in Feb v NH in NH (6 Nations)
3 tests in July v SH in SH
0 tests in Sept
3 tests in Nov v SH in NH
semi's & finals

SH teams schedule
0 tests in Feb
3 tests in July v NH in SH
5 tests in Aug/Sept v SH in SH (considering Japan as an adopted SH team)
3 tests in Nov v NH in NH
semi's & finals

Playing Semi's and Final in NH will be all about maintaining current test windows which all have agreed shouldn't be re-negotiated.

If NZR, who are constantly trying to make more money, think this is a rev boost even without possible home semi's and finals, well I would think it probably is.

sunnyboys

Bob Loudon (25)
Derpus, I reckon the Wallabies could do with kind of accountability right about now.

but in all likelihood, the difference between say even argentina down to italy, japan, fiji is quite a step. Even after this dreadful year the wallabies would still be safe from relegation.

sunnyboys

Bob Loudon (25)
the real problem would be if Italy or one of the 2 extra teams in an expanded RC were relegated - does that mean they are relegated from the 6 Nations/RC as well. 6 nations doesnt do relegation.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Derpus, I reckon the Wallabies could do with kind of accountability right about now.

but in all likelihood, the difference between say even argentina down to italy, japan, fiji is quite a step. Even after this dreadful year the wallabies would still be safe from relegation.
I think if we were suddenly bereft of Rugby Championship money we would go broke near instantly.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
the real problem would be if Italy or one of the 2 extra teams in an expanded RC were relegated - does that mean they are relegated from the 6 Nations/RC as well. 6 nations doesnt do relegation.
How else would it work?

It would have to be a two team promotion/relegation, one each from the RC and the 6N. Can't see how else it would work. For example, what happens if Tonga get promoted and Italy relegated. A 5N?

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Interesting side note on this, is the European league of Nations in football that this looks like is modeled from has been a rousing success in its first year. TV audiences and crowds all improved with the inclusion of the league format. Admittedly football had more of a problem at international level than rugby did, but there is real basis here to engage more people than had been previously

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Another benefit of this rethink is that we won't have to get absolutely fucking flogged by the All Blacks three times a year.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
SH teams schedule
0 tests in Feb
5 tests in Aug/Sept v SH in SH (considering Japan as an adopted SH team)
3 tests in Nov v NH in NH
semi's & finals
More likely scenario...............

0 tests in Feb
6 tests in July/Aug/Sept v TRC
2 tests in September v Others
3 tests in Nov v NH
Final (Wallabies not required)

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Again, I'm skeptical. It means all the teams (except the All Blacks obviously) risk having a shocker season and getting relegated, and losing all of the money as a result.

I suspect the format would change / expand the moment a traditional power of the game looked like being relegated.

I don't think it's very likely in the short term though. Italy could be in danger, and maybe Argentina, but either of those countries being relegated probably wouldn't force any change. I guess it would be possible for a country with less depth like Scotland to have a really bad year and end up in the last 2 though. I think that would probably force a change.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
More likely scenario.....

0 tests in Feb
6 tests in July/Aug/Sept v TRC
2 tests in September v Others
3 tests in Nov v NH
Final (Wallabies not required)

Strewth, I imagine you are contemplating a home and away series for TRC? In that case, what do Japan and Fiji do for their extra 5 games?

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The most workable model IMO is to forget about hemispheres & just have Group A = 6N, Group B = TRC+2 (currently Fiji & Japan, I think). Promotion to/ relegation from Group A via Euro Championship, to/ from Group B second-tier rest of world comp.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
I don't think the world league necessarily needs to include the 6 Nations and Rugby Championship results towards it. It could be entirely separate. You could just have 2 Groups of 6 that only play each team in the other group. Each group winner would be determined by who performs best against the other group, rather than against their own group or a combination of both. This would allow the 6 Nations and Rugby Championship to remain ring fenced.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Strewth, I imagine you are contemplating a home and away series for TRC? In that case, what do Japan and Fiji do for their extra 5 games?
Frankly, that's up to them. I can't see any of the SANZAR members cutting the TRC. They need the broadcast and home games each year against the old rivals.

Only the second round of matches will count for the League of Nations (or something similar)

I also think they'll find a way to keep three Bleds in the calendar. Gate receipts against big nations are key. Games against Japan and Fiji aren't going to cut it

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
3 NH home games, 6 TRC games, 2 other LofN, 3rd Bled, 3 NH away games, one final (if required)

15/16 games in 22 weeks or so
7/8 home games