• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Proposed Nations Championship

Bandar

Bob Loudon (25)
Even if they just stuck with the current 3 year stand down and wiped out the need for an Olympic sevens qualifying tournament to swap it'd make an immediate difference.

I have a feeling the only reason there is the Olympic sevens clause is at the instance of the IOC as on Olympic sport.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
More to the point, why the f*ck are the Scots continuing to hide behind their ma's kilts? It's been so long since they last visited NZ that the Romans were still building their wall and demanding the Picts pay for it.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
TLDR: Japan & Fiji join TRC, 6N unchanged
IMO it doesn't quite say that those two teams join TRC.

Yeah, it might end up that way … but the suggestion seems to be they just join the four TRC teams in the new LoN tournament - where the 12 teams play each other once.

The Times is reporting that the proposed new tournament would see the 12 leading nations play each other once throughout the year, with Fiji and Japan set to join Rugby Championship participants New Zealand, Australia, South Africa and Argentina from the southern hemisphere.

If that happens then a team like Australia, for example, would have a minimum 11 tests within the LoN format.

Just (silently) typing out loud here …
  • If TRC was to be subsumed within LoN – i.e. TRC teams meet only once instead of twice (home and away as it is now) each year – then yes, TRC could be expanded to 6 teams simply enough.
Would SANZAAR want that? Maybe. I dunno.

It would make the fairness factor a bit of a farce - but TRC has turned into a procession anyway. It's not actually a "competitive" comp these days, with only one winner almost every year. Making it unfair, 6 Nations styleee, by adding in the annual luck of the draw could add some much needed interest.
  • I think Aus and NZ would want to add a second Bledisloe test, though, so the ABs and Wobs do at least play home and away. It's not that the Bled is actually competitive … more a case of $$$ due to these these matches being at watchable times for both countries and capable of pulling a +40k crowd.
  • NZ and SA might also want to add in a second "Freedom Cup" test.
  • Do Aus and SA also add a second Mandela Plate game? Maybe, maybe not. On balance I think they probably would because these are mid value $$$ tests
So that could mean there's still a Trinations of sorts.

Each of Aus, NZ, SA in that case would have 13 tests a year (or 14 tests for the team making the LoN final).

IMO it is not worthwhile playing Argentina twice. Nothing against the Argies as they are a decent side … but Aus v Arg games do not draw big ratings or crowds. And the travel is horrendous.

The 6 team SH conference of the LoN could become the new TRC. Or maybe TRC ceases to exist – it's a dumb name and the 4 team version played now is a non-comp. But a 3 team "trinations" might also be a thing once again, a bit like the "triple crown" still nominally exists within the 6N.

Argentina will better off finding extra matches (should they want some) by playing opposition in the Americas … i.e. the likes of Canada and United States … a team on the rise.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
SANZAAR includes Argentina in the JV these days, so not sure how hard it would be to exclude them from any TRC competition.

Think we will see 4 team h&a TRC + 2 additional games against Japan and Fiiji outside of TRC (but maybe during).

I reckon we will still see 3 Bleds too.

Neither NZ or Australia want those gone.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Think we will see 4 team h&a TRC + 2 additional games against Japan and Fiiji outside of TRC (but maybe during).

I reckon we will still see 3 Bleds too.
That's 10 games for us within your post.

Then you add on 6 games against NH opposition = 16 games.

Then you add on 1 game for the SH winner (i.e. NZ) = 17 games.

There is no way NZ will be playing 17 games a year

SANZAAR includes Argentina in the JV these days, so not sure how hard it would be to exclude them from any TRC competition.

The "TRC" ( or really the non-6N part of LoN) will be a singlr round robin.

Extra Oz, NZ, SA (or Arg) would be separate

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
I've always wanted to see the TRC teams start the season with a test against a tier two nation. AUS, SA and NZ could play one test v a Pacific Nation. ARG could play a South American team (say Uruguay, Brazil or Chile). The format would be a rotation where you play one year at home the next year away. That would help boost the coffers of these smaller team. For example Aus would play Fiji in Suva, the next year play Tonga in Brisbane with the following year Samoa in Apia.

We would then progress into a Northern Hemisphere inbound tour followed by Home & Away TRC. On route to Europe each Southern Hemisphere team would play another lower nation (say Japan, USA, Canada, Georgia, Romania, Russia or Spain) then finish off with three test v a Northern Hemisphere (clearly not the same one as earlier in the year).

14 tests per season.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I've always wanted to see the TRC teams start the season with a test against a tier two nation. AUS, SA and NZ could play one test v a Pacific Nation. ARG could play a South American team (say Uruguay, Brazil or Chile). The format would be a rotation where you play one year at home the next year away. That would help boost the coffers of these smaller team. For example Aus would play Fiji in Suva, the next year play Tonga in Brisbane with the following year Samoa in Apia.

We would then progress into a Northern Hemisphere inbound tour followed by Home & Away TRC. On route to Europe each Southern Hemisphere team would play another lower nation (say Japan, USA, Canada, Georgia, Romania, Russia or Spain) then finish off with three test v a Northern Hemisphere (clearly not the same one as earlier in the year).

14 tests per season.

Or the USA Eagles/Canada. The Eagles are comfortably the 2nd best team in the Americas and with MLR just kicking off it's second season they are likely to continue to build from a breakthrough year in 2018. Certainly more competitive than either Uruguay or Chile if the Pumas are looking for a tougher test. The Arrows have just launched in MLR and there are more than a dozen other Canadians in the US based MLR sides so they should begin to improve as well.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Or the USA Eagles/Canada. The Eagles are comfortably the 2nd best team in the Americas and with MLR just kicking off it's second season they are likely to continue to build from a breakthrough year in 2018. Certainly more competitive than either Uruguay or Chile if the Pumas are looking for a tougher test. The Arrows have just launched in MLR and there are more than a dozen other Canadians in the US based MLR sides so they should begin to improve as well.

I am really hopeful for MLR and the improvement in the playing standard. My idea above was really about having structure but also mixing up where and who we are playing. I genuinely think that would help with player retention.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I am really hopeful for MLR and the improvement in the playing standard. My idea above was really about having structure but also mixing up where and who we are playing. I genuinely think that would help with player retention.

The Eagles are very likely going to be even better this season if the first round of MLR games are any indication. Significant jump in overall quality of the play. And considering that it's only week 1 of a 17 week season and the play improved markedly over the season last year things are looking very solid.

Personally, if they are going to do this they need to get a little more adventurous. Instead of 12 go to 16 and include the likes of the US and Georgia. Should be fairly easy if they are looking to integrate the traditional structures into this concept. For the SH you could bring Japan, Fiji and the USA. Play them in the July window at smaller venues in Australia then move into the RC for another 6 games before playing them again at the end leading into the Spring tour. Or something along those lines.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
The Eagles are very likely going to be even better this season if the first round of MLR games are any indication. Significant jump in overall quality of the play. And considering that it's only week 1 of a 17 week season and the play improved markedly over the season last year things are looking very solid.

Personally, if they are going to do this they need to get a little more adventurous. Instead of 12 go to 16 and include the likes of the US and Georgia. Should be fairly easy if they are looking to integrate the traditional structures into this concept. For the SH you could bring Japan, Fiji and the USA. Play them in the July window at smaller venues in Australia then move into the RC for another 6 games before playing them again at the end leading into the Spring tour. Or something along those lines.

Yeah agree from a northern aspect id want to see 6N teams to follow a similar path where they would play a smaller team first (Japan, USA, Canada, Georgia, Romania, Russia or Spain). 6N to replace TRC games. Then play a Pacific Islands team on their way South for a series against the TRC teams.

Outside of the 6N and TRC. Id suggest putting a Pacific tournament with Tonga, Samoa, Fiji, USA and Canada.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
That's 10 games within your post.

Then you add on 6 games against NH opposition = 16 games.

Then you add on 1 game for the SH winner (i.e. NZ) = 17 games.

There is no way NZ will be playing 17 games a year

The "TRC" ( or really the non-6N part of LoN) will be a singlr round robin.

Extra Oz, NZ, SA (or Arg) would be separate

Correct, which is why I think Fiji & Japan will join TRC leaving 3 - 4 slots open for additional Bleds etc. I also think NZR etc will be banking on getting enough extra TV & other revenue that they can reduce their schedule, for the elite players at least, and I've heard that NZRUPA are pushing hard for the Test season to be capped at 14 matches & no one player being required to suit up for more than 12.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Correct, which is why I think Fiji & Japan will join TRC leaving 3 - 4 slots open for additional Bleds etc. I also think NZR etc will be banking on getting enough extra TV & other revenue that they can reduce their schedule, for the elite players at least, and I've heard that NZRUPA are pushing hard for the Test season to be capped at 14 matches & no one player being required to suit up for more than 12.
Ditch 'em.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Correct, which is why I think Fiji & Japan will join TRC leaving 3 - 4 slots open for additional Bleds etc.
OK, but that won't really be TRC that we know … other than perhaps in name only.

It can't be a stand-alone property with 6 teams … because a single round-robin would be the upper limit and this means the whole competition comes under the League of Nations banner.

There's nothing for SANZAAR (or perhaps SANZFIJAAR) to do except send the occasional delegate to L.A. or Dublin to chat with the rights holders and then download the schedule from London HQ.

The title of TRC then simply becomes a pennant for the non-6N conference winner on the way to the LoN final. It may as well not exist.

Whereas with 4 teams (or 3 teams), it would still be faintly possible to play home and away and for TRC to remain a distinct tournament and title - with continuing SANZAAR rights deals.

I also think NZR etc will be banking on getting enough extra TV & other revenue that they can reduce their schedule, for the elite players at least, and I've heard that NZRUPA are pushing hard for the Test season to be capped at 14 matches & no one player being required to suit up for more than 12.
It's a fair aspiration.

We've heard about TV windfalls etc., coming to the financial rescue of the Southern Hemisphere plenty of times before, though.

Will this shiny new deal reverse the decades-long trend?

dru

Tim Horan (67)
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-...-very-constructive-talks-20190130-p50uis.html

Seems to be gathering momentum.

The more I read about it, the more comfortable I am with the concept. While I do like the three-test series against NH opposition, the World League would add a bit of interest to games that are becoming stale - the Rugby Championship and the EOYT, for example.

I’m coming around too. If it also means more cash then hard to say no. I’d like to see this sort of cohesiveness in thinking for Super, domestic and Premier club as well.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Ok, I've been trying to get my head around a prospective season (that would flip the next season). The travel for the NH teams in the SH is an issue for a short trip, but check out the attached for those who need to visualize these things.

Australia's test season would begin in July and be (under my proposed schedule)

H v France
H v Scotland
H v Wales

A v Argentina
A v Japan
H v Fiji
H v South Africa
H v New Zealand

(although we'd probably want to rotate the home and away v NZL & SAF each year)

A v Italy
A v England
A v Ireland

11 tests (we played 13 last year)
6 at home (we played 6 last year).

We'd probably slip a test v the All Blacks in there if we could, probably after the "Southern Hemisphere 6 Nations"

Attachments

• DRAFT WORLD RUGBY 2020 SEASON.docx
    15.3 KB · Views: 186

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Kiap, I believe TRC & 6N will effectively be Conferences within the overall WL structure & with SANZAAR running the non-6N Conference, someone (private/ venture capital reading between the lines) running 6N & WR (World Rugby) clipping every ticket plus of course the Final(s): I suspect they'll want SF as well.