• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Ledesma keen to stay in Oz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
There's a few articles around claiming Mario Ledesma is keen to stay in Australia. For me that's fantastic news. He's obviously got something to teach us and we have plenty to learn.
The only question I have is how do we make best use of him. I'd love to see him working with our Premier and Shute shield coaches on a regular basis.
I don't know how our Super Rugby coaches would react to the Wallabies scrum doctor running a few training sessions for the players and coaches but it should at least be an option for them shouldn't it?
I think we have a great opportunity to fix a long term problem in Australian rugby. We should grab it with both hands and anything else we can hold it with.

http://m.smh.com.au/rugby-union/rug...gby-world-cup-and-beyond-20151005-gk1wqs.html

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Surely the Super Rugby teams would be batshit crazy to turn down his help as a consultant.

Semi regular sessions with each team during the season would be amazing. A session with each team every fortnight would be an excellent investment by the ARU in improving the scrummaging of all our teams.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
This is strange, I thought the whole point of being at the Tahs he was getting groomed for the Argie Super Rugby head coach job. Who got that?

Also not sure this is the best thread but what's the status out our assistant coaches beyond this year?

Larkham and Grey are still contracted to their state teams. They can't keep doing both roles like Cheika did this year.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
In my perfect world, Ledesma is placed in charge of the Aus scrum program, with clear commitment from all the Super rugby sides/club sides/f*ckin everyone accepting the same scrummaging philosophy.

With Ledesma doing the elite coaching with the Wobs and super sides and training the trainers so everyone is on the same page and working together

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Larkham and Grey are still contracted to their state teams. They can't keep doing both roles like Cheika did this year.

Why not? What do they end up doing from July to December otherwise, rewriting plans?

Reactions: dru

MonkeyBoy

Bill Watson (15)
I think more and more of them are getting on the same sheet of music Dan Palmer at the Brumbies is very much about 8 men, 16 feet all driving forward and spoke particularly about driving through and shearing off a prop who is boring in.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
This is strange, I thought the whole point of being at the Tahs was he was getting groomed for the Argie Super Rugby head coach job. Who got that?
Don't think it's been announced yet - might be waiting until after the WC.

He certainly came to the Waratahs as a "coaching observer". That role may have developed over time though, and you'd imagine the ARU/NSWRU pays better than the UAR

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
In my perfect world, Ledesma is placed in charge of the Aus scrum program, with clear commitment from all the Super rugby sides/club sides/f*ckin everyone accepting the same scrummaging philosophy.

With Ledesma doing the elite coaching with the Wobs and super sides and training the trainers so everyone is on the same page and working together

This.
The Aussie of Mike Cron to oversee everything. If we (Aus Rugby) can't see that benefit, we're wilfully stupid.

T

TOCC

Why not? What do they end up doing from July to December otherwise, rewriting plans?
2016 reverts to a Super Rugby season where there is a June break for the incoming tests, its not as straightforward as the 2015 season where super rugby finishes and test rugby starts.
Brumbies play the Reds 6 days after the Australia vs England test at Allianz Stadium.
Waratahs are playing in Tokyo 7 days after the Allianz Stadium test.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
If this is right then it's one of the best things to happen to Aussie rugby in a while. We've seen a marked improvement in the scrummaging of the Tahs and Wallabies this year and I reckon there is plenty more scope for it to be done at underage level too. Lock him in I say.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
I posted this on a popular facebook page.

Ledesma should be put on a full time ARU Coach contract. When not with Wallabies - should be used as a Full time skills coach (Like they do in NZ) tasked with ensuring that the standard of scrumming is raised amongst ALL franchises and all dancing to the same tune. Like a National Curriculum for scrums.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It's a disgrace it took so long for someone outside to be brought in and only Cheika had the vision to do so. I think Topo and Noriega played too long ago and the current scrum is too different from their eras.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
It's a disgrace it took so long for someone outside to be brought in and only Cheika had the vision to do so. I think Topo and Noriega played too long ago and the current scrum is too different from their eras.

Not sure, both those guys were before the hit, so it more like there scrummaging today. But they had their opportunities trying to work a different system than they played under

But, I am never certain that being good at something means you can teach it.

Ledesma appears to get the results

The Snout

Ward Prentice (10)
If Ledesma isn't given the order of Australia, Citizenship and every Tuesday night with the blonde of his choice for what he has done so far we are beyond help.

Totally agree with the above suggestions, he should be ARU full time Scrum Master. Visit the Super Teams, the age teams, set the curriculum for all.

pjm

Billy Sheehan (19)
T

The scrum is entirely different these days, though that's not something that the old boys like to admit. I showed my old man scrums from his glory days of the 60's through to the 80's and he was still in denial.

Status
Not open for further replies.