• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Ledesma keen to stay in Oz

Status
Not open for further replies.

pjm

Billy Sheehan (19)
Bajada is a very simple concept that is nothing without technique, the techniques in use today weren't around last century. And Ledesma retired in 2011 so he had plenty of exposure to them.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
The scrum is entirely different these days, though that's not something that the old boys like to admit. I showed my old man scrums from his glory days of the 60's through to the 80's and he was still in denial.

The scrums Stiles packed down in are vastly different to the scrums of today's era. Yet for a season or two, everyone has been singing his praises in how the Reds have developed their scrum.

pjm

Billy Sheehan (19)
The scrums Stiles packed down in are vastly different to the scrums of today's era. Yet for a season or two, everyone has been singing his praises in how the Reds have developed their scrum.

Slipper has slipped from top LH to on the bench. Stiles was a crap player and is a crap coach.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Slipper has slipped from top LH to on the bench. Stiles was a crap player and is a crap coach.

Slipper has been playing injured almost all year and is due for a pair of shoulder recons - Scott Sio is also an exceptional talent.

Reds had the most successful LO in 2015's Super Rugby comp and one of the strongest scrums. Brisbane City won the innaugural NRC.

Pull your head in.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)

Don't know if you've ever propped before but it's pretty tricky without shoulders. I don't care how good a coach Stiles is, he can't coach Slipper's shoulders better.

A mutterer

Chilla Wilson (44)
Slipper has been playing injured almost all year and is due for a pair of shoulder recons - Scott Sio is also an exceptional talent.

Reds had the most successful LO in 2015's Super Rugby comp and one of the strongest scrums. Brisbane City won the innaugural NRC.

Pull your head in.

aptly put since we're talking about scrums

also, slipper has punched well about his weight in carrying the injuries and performing at the level he did all season.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

Surely one of the worst players ever to play 90 odd times for his state and play for the Wallabies let alone be part of the first Wallaby team to beat the Lions for about 80 years?

And how shite are the QLD and Brisbane City scrums?

Pfft, what a dud.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
The Wallabies don't use a Bajada scrum. Their technique looks pretty stock-standard for modern rugby, they're just executing the little things much better than they have in ages.

Even the Argies dont really use the Bajada technique as it was when made famous. There was a documentary piece on it from World Rugby before the RWC. I'll see if I can find it.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)

Did you even watch rugby back then when Stiles was playing? Stiles was a very good prop, perhaps not as mobile as some but very good otherwise.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
We have known for some time that Slipper has been carrying the injuries. That he still manages the level of dominance/effectiveness that he does speaks very well to the quality of player that he is. I certainly hope that he comes back fully from the off-season maintenance that has been scheduled because both he and Sio have long careers ahead in the Wallabies 23.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Even the Argies dont really use the Bajada technique as it was when made famous. There was a documentary piece on it from World Rugby before the RWC. I'll see if I can find it.

Yeah, it's pretty easy to spot whether or not the lock is hugging the ass of his prop or threading the arm through the leg.

Pretty sure our 9 doesn't call the cadence at the scrums, much less the 3-step waltz that defines the Bajada.. (I think the 8 does?) but don't quote me on that because I've been drinking a lot during the Wallabies games so far.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
pjm, we encourage, and applaud, positive, insightful and/or humorous comments on this site. Bits and pieces that add to the knowledge and enjoyment of this great game. Please take note.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Maybe. Or maybe you're a bit wide of the mark in your appraisal of Stiles and Slipper.
Or maybe and probably most likely you've forgotten that this place has a no dickheads policy.

I'm thinking of put this up on my wall

Status
Not open for further replies.