• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Legal fees

Status
Not open for further replies.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
A reply:-

Half brain, half fee

Richard Ackland is on the money with his assessment of legal fees ("Pricey lawyers colonise work that requires just half a brain", April 11). Chief Justice Tom Bathurst undertook a review of the Supreme Court's legal costs assessment scheme in 2011 with no sign of a final report anytime soon.
In the meantime, solicitors with a signed costs agreement charge their clients more than $500 an hour to act as a mailbox for barristers who carry the lion's share of the skill and responsibility involved in legal proceedings. The solicitor can have absolutely no idea what's going on and still get paid full freight for sitting in on conferences, filing documents, delivering briefs and the like. It's a disgrace.
Solicitors who engage the services of a barrister should be mandated to charge at the same rate as a filing clerk or courier service. The current rule of thumb is that a solicitor's fees are double the fees charged by the barrister, but highway robbery aside, the solicitor should be paid no more than half the barrister's fees especially since the work requires only half a brain.
Peter Breen East Sydney

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/comment/smh-letters/bob-carr-and-adrian-edmondson-star-in-a-mad-mad-world-20140411-zqtgz.html#ixzz2yemEf3Yh

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Like most generalisations Breen is partly right.
People would do well to reflect what they pay their accountant (in particular) per hour: if its less than you pay your lawyer can you give me the name of your accountant please?
Accountants undertake quite a number of "half brain" activities (addition, multiplication, subtraction and division [albeit sometimes long division] for example) performed by navvies and charged at full freight.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Paying for expertise (in whatever field) is fine by me. Generally, people have trained, they have specific experience that I do not have. The argument that a lot is half-brain stuff anyone could do implies anyone has the time to spend learning all the ins and outs of the "stuff" that is easy to do, on face value. Sure, many of us could have become lawyers or accountants, but we didn't. A lot of what I do is unbelievably repetitive, and could be taught to someone with reasonable dexterity and common sense. But would they have the extra knowledge to cope with the unexpected, or the experience to get out of trouble?
My main beef is the peripheral stuff which is grossly over-charged. The unit price charged to read emails that are 2 lines long, photocopying costs, brief phone calls. Not to mention the final invoice that is double the initial quote.
I have to quote and fully financially inform patients of costs, and I would never get away with some of the practices I've seen from some other professions.
As @Inside Shoulder says, a lot of stuff done by navvies but charged at full freight.

Status
Not open for further replies.