• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Lessons from round 1 (?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Langthorne

Phil Hardcastle (33)
The Waratahs pulled a win out of the air (or somewhere else), but were not really very impressive. There are a couple of things that will have to be very different if they are to defeat more challenging opposition (the Reds were poor - we are only talking them up because they set such low standards last season).

Starting line up (suggested changes):

Horne (if fit) in at outside centre for Tom Carter. Carter didn't really do anything wrong, in fact I like his no nonsense style of play, he is just not quick enough to start at OC

Mowen starting at 6. He was great all of last season. He was great when he came on against QLD.

Mumm and Douglas in the second Row. I was unimpressed with Cam Jowitt (maybe he has more to show?) and Wll Caldwell seems very short of the standards he reached last season. Douglas came on and showed some great power and aggression - I'd like to see more of that and more of him.

Kick offs:

They need to practice these all week.

Forward Tactics:

More aggression in the contact. Faster ball from rucks. A bit more use of the maul. I hate they way they sometimes stand still in a ruck rather than clearing out and moving the ball on. Standing still like that allows for counter rucking, telegraphs their next move and allows the defence to get ready.

General Play:

more attention to accuracy in the basics

They would do well to watch the Crusaders/Highlanders and the Bulls/Cheetahs matches for a few clues on how things should be done (not the defending), and what they will have to contend with.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Langthorne said:
Carter didn't really do anything wrong, in fact I like his no nonsense style of play, he is just not quick enough to start at OC

The prosecution rests, yer honour.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Attack

1 Better structure at the breakdown, cleanout was inadequate
2 Options given to the half quicker, we have two playmakers and numerous forward runners and still struggled to provide decent options; the means the ball-carriers have to get working much harder and give the playmakers options.
3 Clean up restarts

Defence

1 Speed up realignment, just two slow.

Positives,

scrum and lineout were pretty good
Our bench depth sorted things out in the end as that they made good contributions and theirs provide penalties.

Langthorne

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Spook said:
Should retire Waugh as well.

What?! Why?! He is the first name on the team sheet. His leadership (and all round play) dragged the Tahs through that game, and kept them in it.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Langthorne said:
Spook said:

What?! Why?! He is the first name on the team sheet. His leadership (and all round play) dragged the Tahs through that game, and kept them in it.
Spook's just pissed off that Smith retired, and the Brumbies have no-one to replace him until they figure out how to buy Pocock.

S

Spook

cyclopath said:
Langthorne said:
Spook said:

Spook's just pissed off that Smith retired, and the Brumbies have no-one to replace him until they figure out how to buy Pocock.

:lmao: Nice one (heard of C Fainga'a, Salvi?). I don't mind you playing someone who is beyond it.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
i thought burgess may have been one of the key problems. when he left the field the outside backs seemed to get a lot more ball. but still, i thought the waratahs played a very lateral backline game, not much penetrative attack going on.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Spook said:
cyclopath said:
Langthorne said:
Spook said:

:lmao: Nice one (heard of C Fainga'a, Salvi?). I don't mind you playing someone who is beyond it.
Salvi is a bit like Keyser Soze, all these rumours of what he might do...
If the younger Fainga'a is as useless as the older ones, then by all means. Of course, he may be better. Developingment player, is he?
And yes, I am :fishing...'tis a quiet Sunday morning.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Biffo said:
cyclopath said:

Go to a decent bait shop. Waht you're using now won't attract anything. :)
'Cept Spook. You saying Spook aint decent? Besides, too wet to get to the bait shop.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Spook said:
I thought Braid outgunned him last night.
And he did. Braid was magnificent IMO. Seemed to make it his personal mission to mark big Cliffy, and pulled off some great tackles.

Waugh's leadership can't be ignored though. It was a significant factor in getting the Tahs over the line.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
cyclopath said:
Biffo said:
cyclopath said:

Go to a decent bait shop. Waht you're using now won't attract anything. :)
'Cept Spook. You saying Spook aint decent? Besides, too wet to get to the bait shop.

Spook bites on any praise for anyone or anything outside the ACT.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Tahs backs went sideways all night. Every single one of the ran the same outside line.

Except one good backline move about 5 minutes before the end. Don't know why it took so long for them to try it.

Barnes was exceptionally poor.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Yeah can't help but think that the 2001 vintage Waugh @ 95kg or thereabouts would be more help... With the leadership.

In the backline, we've got Tom Carter who is supposed to run onto the ball, and didn't. About half of that was Kurtley releasing the ball too close to the line and about half was Tom thinking he's got to step at OC. Just truck it up son, because you ain't a ferrari.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
NSw have played like that for years. Flat back line. Very league. I reckon, though, with some attacking options at the back, we can develop an effective attacking system.

And what was with not chasing kicks? I reckon not even Carter bothered this time.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Barnes needs to improve about 100%. Things looked more organised when Hangers came on and his kicking game was about 99.99997654% better.

Jowitt was nowhere to be find. Too big a moment? They have options though with Denis and the Boerseun.

Status
Not open for further replies.