• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Link or White?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
For a bit of Friday fun I am going to put a hypothetical out there;

At the conclusion of Robbie's contract, who would you like to see replace him as Wallabies coach? You can chose between Jake White and Link McKenzie.

On one side you could chose having an Australian back coaching the Wallabies who has transformed the Reds into a rugby powerhouse.

One the other side you have another foreigner, but a foreigner who has already gone the distance with South Africa. He has also done a pretty special job at turning a team of nobodies into Australia's strongest franchise.

Discuss

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
I am leaning toward White. Link, like Deans when we signed him, is untested at national level. I know you have to start somewhere but White has proven he can take a team of champions to the top and that he can take a team of youngsters to the top...

There isn't many coaches out there with that kind of record.

The other thing about Link is that he is young and will almost certainly be the next coach if he doesn't get this gig. White being a Saffa might head home in a few years never to return...

Under the circumstances- Jake White is my pick

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Of the two, I think White is the better candidate, however....

Do you think the Saffers will allow one of their own to coach a Tier 1 National Team, potentially against their the Bokke, and beat them?

Slightly different to have one of theirs coaching a team like Italy which is not likely to seriously threaten the Bokke.

Can the Ponys afford to lose him? Who will backfill him, Australian wandering minstrel of rugby, Richard Graham?

I just want to an assurance that the Lords of Darkness do not offer us up Pat Lam at a cheap rate. Auckland Blues rejects have failed to deliver the U20 Jnr RWC, we do not need another one.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I think White would be great for the Wallabies, but I'd rather have him finish up his contract with the Brumbies and hopefully by the end of that period they will have a successor for him.......

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Interesting call.

If the best rugby brain was not from Australia, do you still want an Aussie coach, or do you just want the best?

I always prefer the Australian. Always. But here we are talking about two possibly equivalent coaches from a skills/performance perspective. One is an Aussie though. So he should be preferred.

Budgie

Chris McKivat (8)
From those two. McKenzie

From all non contracted coaches. Sir Graham Henry - he has coached internationally before with Wales and Lions.

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
Sir Graham Henry - he has coached internationally before with Wales and Lions.

He would never coach us. If Henry was inclined to coach internationally again, he would coach any team that played us regularly!

White has more credentials, but Link would be the man for the job. Link has the innate understanding of how Australians approach rugby, something that is very hard for an foreign coach to pick up on. Currently, the Wallabies suffer because the coach approaches the game in a totally different way to how Australia has always played.

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
He would never coach us. If Henry was inclined to coach internationally again, he would coach any team that played us regularly!

White has more credentials, but Link would be the man for the job. Link has the innate understanding of how Australians approach rugby, something that is very hard for an foreign coach to pick up on. Currently, the Wallabies suffer because the coach approaches the game in a totally different way to how Australia has always played.

White seems to have done pretty well coaching an all Australian team at the Brumbies...

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
White seems to have done pretty well coaching an all Australian team at the Brumbies.

And Link has done well coaching the Reds.

I did actually say that White has credentials, but in the context of Australian rugby, Link is the man. Jake White has taken over a provincial team, we are talking about the national team here.

Status
Not open for further replies.