• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Lions Tour 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

kronic

John Solomon (38)
This popped up in the Daily Telegraph today:

Australian provinces to make Super sacrifice to accommodate British and Irish Lions tour

THE length of the British and Irish Lions tour next year is likely to see Australian provinces return to action for just one round of Super Rugby before the 2013 playoffs.

The Super Rugby schedule is currently being drawn up and the unusual challenge of accommodating the Lions' nine-game tour of Australia in June-July is set to see some drastic alterations.

The northern invaders begin their campaign in Perth on against the Western Force on June 5, play tour matches against Queensland, NSW-Qld country, Waratahs and Brumbies before three weeks of Test matches against the Wallabies.

Given the last Test is in Sydney on July 6, it appears Australian teams will detach from the regular Super Rugby for the five-week period.

As with this season, the Kiwi and South African teams will pause their Super Rugby season at the start of June to play Tests against northern sides.

France are touring New Zealand and the Springboks are to play Italy, Scotland and an unnamed tier 2 side.

It is understood the plan for Australian teams, however, is to continue playing for another two rounds into mid-June, with the Force and Queensland getting a bye to play the Lions, and the other matches being Australian derbies.

Australian teams will pause for the Wallabies three-Test series against the British Lions (on June 22, 29 and July 6).

New Zealand and South African teams would re-start their Super Rugby games on June 29, as per normal but Australian teams would only re-enter the competition proper in the final round on July 12-13.

With the playoffs just a week later, this could be a significant hurdle for an Australian team to win a title.

Any Australian sides vying for a wildcard finals spot in the last round will be far rustier than a foreign rival with two extra weeks of match-time under their belt. Even the top Aussie side will only be two weeks back from a lengthy break when they host their final.

It is far from ideal but Australian Rugby will take its lumps.

The British and Irish Lions tour is the biggest and most profitable rugby event in Australia since the 2003 World Cup.

The schedule is not finalised but it appears like South Africa and New Zealand aren't interested in shuffling their plans.

It's understood approaches by the ARU to play one extra Super Rugby round in June - and move their final Tests to June 29 - were knocked back.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/r...irish-lions-tour/story-fn8ouxrc-1226436139936

kronic

John Solomon (38)
So basically, June is one big away trip, hopefully :)

Unfortunately the ARU has sort of engineered it so, it's impossible for an Aus team to win the title.

We Victorians can wait to 2014.

D

daz

As is my wont in these situations, I will be taking holidays with a few mates and following the B&I Lions all the way down the East Coast.

Will there be any GAGR touch games organised and scheduled at each stop?

And there should be a list of GAGR-approved pubs in each location published.

kronic

John Solomon (38)
As is my wont in these situations, I will be taking holidays with a few mates and following the B&I Lions all the way down the East Coast.

Will there be any GAGR touch games organised and scheduled at each stop?

And there should be a list of GAGR-approved pubs in each location published.
Don't know about the touch games.

The Troup will try to organize the latter.

kronic

John Solomon (38)
I'll approach the ARU about an allocation for Wallabies supporters/The Troup. See if we can get some discount for Bronze tickets via a group purchase.

It may or may not involve people registering their details. I'll keep people posted.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Since the ticket price thing won't work, here's the link.

I suggest contacting your bank for a loan before thinking about purchasing tickets to the Tests.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Sounds like a very confusing but necessary approach. Good on them for doing this.

Reading the ladder will get pretty strange at that time of year.

Badger

Bill McLean (32)
Since the ticket price thing won't work, here's the link.

I suggest contacting your bank for a loan before thinking about purchasing tickets to the Tests.

My eyes started to water when I saw the prices for the Tests. At least the tour matches are more reasonable.

If the ticket prices to the Tahs match are anything to go by, prices for the Tahs home games in 2013 will be unchanged.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
There's been a bit of commotion around ticket prices for this series but I think they're justified. It's the biggest rugby event outside a World Cup and the prices are better than RWC final tickets are they not?

The Lions won't be back for 12 years. We won't see a RWC here for at least another 20 years you'd think. The ARU must maximize their earning potential on this one and try to rebuild their reserves.

I hope they do it.

Dai bando

Charlie Fox (21)
after the next 6 nations, we will have a better idea of who you will be facing, The autumn internationals then the 6N takes its toll, but looking forward to it.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
They were advertising the tour early on Sky Sports this morning during the broadcast for the Chiefs v Saders game. Showed a montage from past Lions tours, got me really excited until I remembered there's a whole year to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.