• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Lions V Rebels, 5 July @ Ellis Park

Status
Not open for further replies.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
i have relented and watched the replay.

same old same old rebels game. yet another game they could have and probably should have won.

consistent if nothing else, botched attacking line outs - check, soft turnovers in the tackle - check, inability to get out of the 22 after re start - check, yellow card to the skipper - check, easily read backline moves 20 m behind gainline - check; counterbalanced with good scrummaging, some great passing interchanges, lots of effort and little reward.

agree faainga's best game for the rebels, pyle played well (as he was before being benched), horie (again), english much more involved. JackD better. kingston lacking confidence (geez i wonder why?).

i agree that in the last 10 they all, but in particular, ah-nau, leafa, jones, and hegarty looked really stuffed. no a 2 day acclimatisation made absolutely no difference.

so afte a pre season and now 15 games, are the repetitive mistakes a playing group or a coaching issue ? mmm ?

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Sounds like they aren't enjoying their day jobs at the moment.

Under Hill we lost too many matches and were turnstiles in defence, but we played with smiles and were a joy to watch.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member

Under Hill we lost too many matches and were turnstiles in defence, but we played with smiles and were a joy to watch.

This is a facet that I've been thinking about in relation to TT and success. On the rebels 15 thread we talk about the re-signing players wanting to work under him because they get the best out of him. Previous role at the Wobs was something of a skills coach. Looks like he key skill was defence and set piece. I think what's lacking is some attacking nouce (that hill had) and some more overall game management / strategy skills. I think we really need these skills in 15. Another one to add to the retrospective list...

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Attacking nouce?
Remember earlier this year his 10 won them a game,and was benched because the style wasn't TT's dumb fuck, truck it up game plan?

Reactions: Tex

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Attacking nouce?
Remember earlier this year his 10 won them a game,and was benched because the style wasn't TT's dumb fuck, truck it up game plan?

Sorry that was meant to read 'TT lacks attacking nouce and overall game management / strategy'. I assume the game you refer to was the force match? Perfect example of a lack of strategy / game management. We were getting flogged and yet we kept doing the same thing.

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
I just watched this game. The rebels promise so much but just fall Short.

I thought jones, Reid, shota, had good games. Hegerty is defiantly getting better. The biggest disappointment is Higgers. The blokes has unfortunately gone backwards. He is playing ok but not at the standard he used to. Woodward showed that he shouldn't of been on the bench and burgess needs to lift his game as well. He was playing so well pre injury (reds game)

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)

Still Turnstiles, currently -124 points difference, last year we where -133 so I don't care about the improvements in defense. We are sitting 15th on the table and have lost a lot of fans because of the boring rugby that has been on show this year.

Hill was sacked when we finished 12th but a coach that has us finishing last gets another year. Complete BS if you ask me.

199madmave

Ward Prentice (10)
Penalty count:

Colby - 3
Higgers - 2 + yellow
Luke - 2
Laurie - 1
Jordy - 1
Bryce - 1
Jason - 1
Hugh - 1

Status