• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Lions v Waratahs - Round 16, 30 May 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
This thread is for discussing this match only

The Rules
  1. Do not give scores for any other match from this round until 24 hours after the last game!
  2. Do not discuss other matches in detail.
  3. Good hearted banter is encouraged but trolling is not allowed.
  4. Be respectful to posters, players, coaches and match officials.
  5. Go the Tahs!

Breaches of the rules will be handled by the Mod Team.

So the Tahs are taking the unusual step of giving the players a couple of days off to recover in Sydney and then flying out on Tuesday. That means they'll have a limited preparation in South Africa before this crucial match.

The big news will be the suspensions of Latu and Skelton. Presumably Latu is at greater risk of being suspended and that will mean that Hugh Roach will start and a new bench hooker will need to be found.

If Skelton gets suspended I think we'll definitely see Dean Mumm in the matchday 23 this weekend. We might see him anyway.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Why are we leaving on Tuesday? Because of Skelton/Latu's judiciary? Seems pretty strange, most teams leave for SA on Sunday.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Why are we leaving on Tuesday? Because of Skelton/Latu's judiciary? Seems pretty strange, most teams leave for SA on Sunday.

Apparently it was planned before that from what I've read to try and give the players a break in this long run of consecutive games.

Will mean they really need to be switched on to prepare this week.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
No onward travelling when the team arrives in Jo'burg, I can understand why there was a few days' rest scheduled before this match. This Saffer sojourn is about as easy as it gets for Oz/NZ travellers; yeah, Pretoria's closer than Bloemfontein but the Bulls have been historically stronger than the Cheetahs. IF the Tahs are switched on and play like they did on Saturday night they're a strong chance of taking both matches.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
And no doubt some dill referee assessor will downgrade van der Westhuizen's game score to boot.

Had Latu not lifted, Skelton's tackle would have caused Whitelock to land heavily on the ground, but perfectly legally. Its absolute bollocks. The Latu decision I can accept, though its harsh at four weeks given that the tackled player did not come down on his shoulder or neck. He did not totally upend him as the Force player who got five weeks did.

Just another lottery performance from the SANZAR judiciary.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I doubt it. TPN that is.

I have heard that they're considering him playing sooner. Not sure if he'll be on the plane for next weekend though. I'd guess he'll travel over for the second game of the tour.

My guess is Dave Porecki will travel to South Africa for at least the first game.

You'd think Dean Mumm will be playing this weekend.

Skelton's suspension is fairly ridiculous in my opinion but I also think the Tahs were foolish in not pleading guilty for a reduced suspension. You'd have to think that it would have been two games and one game with a guilty plea.

This has the potential of seriously derailing the season.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
And no doubt some dill referee assessor will downgrade van der Westhuizen's game score to boot.

Had Latu not lifted, Skelton's tackle would have caused Whitelock to land heavily on the ground, but perfectly legally. Its absolute bollocks. The Latu decision I can accept, though its harsh at four weeks given that the tackled player did not come down on his shoulder or neck. He did not totally upend him as the Force player who got five weeks did.

Just another lottery performance from the SANZAR judiciary.

As I said in the game thread, to me Skelton's throw was identical to the "tackle" on Richard Hibbard by Kepu in the Wales test a couple of years ago. Hibbard was literally thrown to the turf, if Skelton was cited then Kepu should have been as well, and that didn't generate a penalty, just a turnover of possession.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Guessing the Tahs pack for this weekend will be something like:

Robbo, Roach, Kepu
Dennis, Chapman/Mumm
Hoiles/Potgieter, Palu, Hooper

Porecki
Tilse
Ryan
Potgieter/Hoiles
Mumm/Chapman
Dempsey/McCutcheon

Will be interesting to see if Cheika puts Mumm straight into the starting XV.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Actually, I'm thinking we'll go 6-2 split for beef against the Lions, but also retain our speed to try and run them around. This is on the assumption that Skelton can't play this week:

1 Robinson
2 Roach
3 Kepu
4 Potgeiter
5 Dennis
6 Hoiles
7 Hooper
8 Palu

16 Porecki
17 Tiles
18 Ryan
19 Mumm
20 Chapman
21 Dempsey/McCutcheon

We only have to win three games to stay atop the conference (equal points = we beat the Ponies on number of wins), but a bonus point or two would be handy.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Holloway is definitely injured. Not sure when he is due back but it isn't during Super Rugby.

Gray seems injured again as well. He didn't play for Easts last weekend.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
^^^ Did you watch the game @Braveheart? Rugby Link records Talalelei GRAY playing for the Beasties against the M2B on the weekend as #6 BSF.

It was his first game for the Beasties since 2 May (round 7) against the Woodies.

He may have missed rounds 8 and 9 due to minor injury.

Jed HOLLOWAY played for the Hobbits against Randi-Wix in Round 9 on 16 May. He didn't play round 10, or rounds 6-8.

Status
Not open for further replies.