• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Listening device found in All Black hotel

Status
Not open for further replies.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
https://t.co/05IxCt63DV

A sophisticated listening device was discovered in the All Blacks' team room in their hotel ahead of tonight's test against the Wallabies.

The device - the sort used by law enforcement and spying agencies - had been planted in a chair in the Sydney hotel where the team have been staying since Sunday, the Herald has learned.

It is unclear whether police will be called in but the hotel has launched its own investigation.

Would be huge if the ARU is in any way involved.

Also think it's interesting the All Blacks chose game morning to leak this discovery to the press!

T

TOCC

It's more likely linked to some news agency then the ARU, you would hope at least anyway

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Can't see that a listening device would assist the Wallabies any more than watching as many replays of the ABs as possible.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
You'd hope ARU wouldn't be stupid enough to risk being caught having anything to do with this kind of thing. Illegal gambling would seem more likely, not sure how any info gleaned by these means would help them but then again they've been known to pay cricketers for their assessment of pitch conditions so who really knows?

@TOCC any news agency involved in this should lose their accreditation immediately & forever. The person(s) from said agency responsible should be prosecuted. We just don't need this shit in sport.

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I can imagine facebook if the AB's lose tonight (which they won't):

The wallabies spied on us!!!!!!11!!!!!!!!!1!!!

Wallabies cheated!!!!!1!!!

etc, etc, etc.....

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I love the idea of a betting agency bugging the room... 'guys I've been listening to the tapes all week, and it's a radical idea but I think the All Blacks should be comfortable favourites for this game'.

I doubt bet365 or any of the other legal agencies would bother, for the reason you state. It's more the illegal spot-market types you have to worry about, as cricket among other sports has learned the hard way.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
99.9995% chance it's some fuckwit from a betting company or an "independent" journalist or left by accident by some other party.

If it happened to be an ARU plant, not surprising it would occur under Cheika.

FrankLind

Colin Windon (37)
Were some famous or criminal types using that room b4 the ABs and the listening device was left over?????

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
If it turns out to be a legit betting agency then all Unions should publicly, immediately & permanently cut all ties plus ARU take legal action (on the basis it happened on their watch, so to speak).

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
99.9995% chance it's some fuckwit from a betting company or an "independent" journalist or left by accident by some other party.

If it happened to be an ARU plant, not surprising it would occur under Cheika.

I'm pretty sure it's not really fair to write such a slur about Cheika. He plays hard but I reckon that's a poor thing to say.

Simon.

Bob Loudon (25)
Yeah, either illegal betting or media organisation, but probably betting. Illegal bookie or punting syndicate.

I doubt it would be a legal betting agency as they just cover themselves by shortening the odds enough that in the long run, they don't really care who wins. So there's no real incentive for them to take the risk.

It must be tempting for the ABs when they find a bug to leave it there, and just feed it a long stream of false information so whoever's behind it loses their shirt.

FrankLind

Colin Windon (37)
Spinning out conspiracy theories
- rugby in trouble in OZ,
- some in the ARU stand to lose their jobs have their salaries reduced if it continues,
- ideal boost for the game (job security of ARU) would be to win the Bledisloe

Zack

Frank Row (1)
https://t.co/05IxCt63DV

Would be huge if the ARU is in any way involved.

Also think it's interesting the All Blacks chose game morning to leak this discovery to the press!

Let's see: the device was discovered on Monday after the All Blacks arrived a day earlier, they reported it to the hotel security who investigated, they all sat on the story for 5 days UNTIL someone from the media was clearly leaked the story, asked the NZRU for comment this morning which prompted the NZRU to inform Pulver/ARU of the story about to break and the statement the NZRU were releasing in response to the media query....

..and you conclude that "the All Blacks chose game morning to leak this discovery..."?? You must have got caught up at the bottom of too many rucks to have reached this conclusion!! The fact that the NZRU rushed to notify Pulver/ARU this morning tells me the NZRU were not going to raise it at all but were forced into it when reached for comment by the media - and it also explains why Steve Hansen was not amused earlier in the week!

Status
Not open for further replies.