• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Long Term Combinations

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Stealing this topic from every Wallabies v Someone thread.

Of course combinations are important, so developing them should be as well. A good front row that knows each other, locks that balance their push because they know how the other is going, a back three that knows when to help out at the breakdown and when to set for the next phase. 9-10 that don't need a call to make a play, centres that interchange beautifully, wingers and fullback that know when to run up and take the ball.

When should we start developing these partnerships if we want them ready for the world cup? Is it worth making new ones or should we just import a partnership from soup level? Should we be telling soup coaches to play two players together to get their combination going?

Biggest one for me right now is centres. To'omua and Kuridrani look to be long term 12-13. Get Link to give Larkham a call and ask him to switch To'omua and Lealiifano around this season.
With the front row, we don't really have a THP who really dominates, so it might be worth just importing the Waratahs or Brumbies front row and working with it. Ask the respective coaches to start a combination and by week 5 know their front row for the rest of the season.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Biggest one for me right now is centres. To'omua and Kuridrani look to be long term 12-13. Get Link to give Larkham a call and ask him to switch To'omua and Lealiifano around this season.
To me this makes the most sense. We could have an almost entire Brumbies backline by the end of 2014 Super Rugby.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
Godwin will be the wallabies 12 by the end of next year a Godwin Kuridrani combo would be a huge headache for a lot of teams.

The lock Combo for me is a big one at the moment we have Horwill, Simmons, Sita and Douglas.

3/4 are Tight head locks who don’t offer a heap at line out time and Simmons still hasn’t reached his potential.

I think one of Sita and Douglas will need to make way for Pyle. Id be looking for a Pyle/Horwill combo only if Horwill pulls his finger out other wise we may see someone like a Carter or Skilton get a shot.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Carter and Pyle might be an option. I think they would balance eachother well.

I haven't lost hope Horwill and Simmons will come good. Simmons was starting to play much better of recent times.

A backrow of Fardy, Pocock and Higgers does get me a little excited.

I have no solutions at scrum time. I'm hopeful Anae has a huge Super season as I think he could be a solution in the 1 jersey.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
I'd say Ruan Smith, but he still has to stick around for another 2 years to qualify and you don't throw him into the pool of death in the world cup to debut. If we could somehow get him earlier he's basically Scott Sio except on the other side of the scrum.

Carter and Pyle would be a good one, so would Skelton and Pyle if Skelton keeps his improvement rate going as it is.

With 9-10 I haven't lost faith in Genia, despite my not liking him, but if Nic White has another killer season for the Brumbies and Lealiifano owns the 10 jersey then I'd give it to him. I really can't displace Cooper right now though.

Speight has to be on one of the wings. I don't care which. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is Mr Reliable and Folau is all class, so the other wing would depend on the game. Mogg is Latham 2.0 and I believe that given another great super season and 10 caps in the G&G he will be better than Latham.

At this rate Pocock is captain.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Carter and Pyle might be an option. I think they would balance each other well.

I have no solutions at scrum time. I'm hopeful Anae has a huge Super season as I think he could be a solution in the 1 jersey.

Carter and Pyle would be a good option, not necessarily the best one but certainly not the worst.

With Robinson and Sio we are not too badly off at LHP and if Anae gets in front of them all the better. But the elephant in the room is Tight Head Prop. Ryan's scrummaging is worse than Kepu's; Palmer went to France because he couldn't get a decent ARU payment; Weekes is not up to it; Alexander has had his time and is clearly the worst scrummaging THP we have ever had and there is absolutely NO ONE coming through. We either get a scrummaging THP or we will not get out of the pool games in the 2015 World Cup.

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Carter and Pyle would be a good option, not necessarily the best one but certainly not the worst.

With Robinson and Sio we are not too badly off at LHP and if Anae gets in front of them all the better. But the elephant in the room is Tight Head Prop. Ryan's scrummaging is worse than Kepu's; Palmer went to France because he couldn't get a decent ARU payment; Weekes is not up to it; Alexander has had his time and is clearly the worst scrummaging THP we have ever had and there is absolutely NO ONE coming through. We either get a scrummaging THP or we will not get out of the pool games in the 2015 World Cup.
Salesi Manu.
Watch him go toe to toe with Cian Healy in the Force v Lions test this year

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Based on?
Front row of either Sio, Moore, Alexander or Robinson, TPN, Kepu.
Skelton and Pyle as locks
Fardy, Pocock and Higgenbotham as backrowers
White-Lealiifano or Genia-Cooper as 9-10
Speight-Folau or Speight-AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) as wingers
To'omua-Kuridrani as centres
Mogg at fullback

Of those, Pocock has the most captaincy experience and is the least likely to lose his place. Consistency for the captaincy in a world cup is best.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I very much doubt Skelton and Pyle will be our lock combination at the 2015 RWC.........

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Pocock is an exceptional player but I've not been very impressed with him as a captain. His decision making was a big factor in the 9-6 defeat to Scotland.

However I do agree that the captain should be an automatic choice and shouldn't just be picked because he's the captain. By next season the Wobs should have a more settled side and Link can decide on his captain. It may well be Pocock by default but if it is I hope he's learned from the mistakes he's made in the past.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Pocock is an exceptional player but I've not been very impressed with him as a captain. His decision making was a big factor in the 9-6 defeat to Scotland.

However I do agree that the captain should be an automatic choice and shouldn't just be picked because he's the captain. By next season the Wobs should have a more settled side and Link can decide on his captain. It may well be Pocock by default but if it is I hope he's learned from the mistakes he's made in the past.

Higgers will come under consideration.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
We are just frustrated at the moment and people are not seeing the bigger picture. Horwill's form slump wont last and we will all be reminded of what he does offer when back to his usual standard. Simmons has been coming good over the last few matches and the timing of his injury was bloody annoying. We have some nice options with potential at the moment. Carter (who should have toured in my view), Pyle and the Tahs locks all look like good options.

Front row is a mine field. Link will have his reasons but why he is playing Slipper at LH after an entire Super Rugby season at TH is just baffling. Benny R is the only consistent prop we have with Slipper in a form slump and Benny A and Kepu often inconsistent. I look forward to how Sio goes in 2014 and hope he backs up on 2013. Anae I think is likely to struggle for a starting gig at the Reds with Holmes and Daley also in the mix. Slipper is likely to play TH again. One LH that is often under rated is Pek Cowen. He is far better than he is given credit for. Hooker looks Ok at the moment. Moore, TPN plus this year Saia Fainga'a has taken his game to a new level. I think he will return to the Reds with the edge over James Hansen in 2014. Tessman and Charles also have looked good throughout their careers.

Back row when all fit looks a treat so no worries there.

Will be interested to see where backs line up for their Super Rugby sides before judging on combinations. I would like players in familiar positions though.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Combinations make good players better, but you're right, there's always a trade off. If the player in that combination isn't performing, don't pick him.

T

Train Without a Station

Combinations don't just suddenly after constantly not performing, start to perform. They are maintained because they do perform. If they're not working and have been given a reasonable chance to do so a couple of times, it's lunacy to expect that will change.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Higgers as a potential captain......the internet will break.

But seriously, that's not a far off call. He'd be one of the first picked in the team fully fit. And as good as Pocock is (or was?) he'd still be battling off Hooper for the starting 7.

T

Train Without a Station

Will likely skipper the Rebels next season too won't he? Pocock will not be captain at the Brumbies. Potentially not even if Mowen didn't play.

Status
Not open for further replies.