• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Long-term Injuries

Status
Not open for further replies.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
The recent injuries to Ioane and McMinimum remind me of my impression that Australian professional rugby players suffer far more long-term (let's say meaning three months or more) out of action.

Can we do a little research and test my hypothesis? How about listing the players who suffered such injuries, by country, over the last 5-10 years.

Let's confine the research to international players.

AUSTRALIA

1. Ioane, 2009
2. McMenamin, multiple
3. Shepherd, 2008
4. Horwill, 2008

NEW ZEALAND

1. Carter, 2009

SOUTH AFRICA

1. Jean de Villers, 2007

Please add.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I am reading Andrew Johns's book at the moment.

He talks about Newcastle used to be reknowned for all the injuries they had. One year I think they had twice as many as anyone else. What they put it down to, was that the club was penny pinching and didn't have a full time physio or masseur. Johns was driving to Sydney to get his treatment. Then the club (through sponsorship) appointed a person full time and it really turned things around. Its the reason why when Johns did his knee, he moved to Brisbane to receive daily treatment from the QLD Academy of Sport (at the encouragement of Wayne Bennet).

I'd be fascinated to see what the Reds have in the way of medical staff.

I remember, I think 2 years ago? Perhaps 3, might have been Miller's last year, and Berrick's first year? They talked all through the off season about the treatment they were putting into hydration. Testing, etc. They didn't want to see players cramping up anymore. First game we play NSW (first Dell game for the Tahs) and each of Huxley, Berrick and Flats (I think) all get REPLACED with cramps.

Seems moronic.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
I had a long discussion about this with Spook via pm some months back. We both believed that the Wallabies have more serious injuries than other international teams and came up with some reasons for them. We noted that the only assistant Robbie Deans brought with him was the conditioner (of men, not of for hair of the blouses :) and wondered if there is a relationship between conditioning methods and injuries.

I hadn't thought before of the very good point Noddy makes about "injuries" such as cramps and their caauses.

Can we try to establish first whether the Wallabies have more serious injuries than others, by adding names to the list I gave? If we find that the hypothesis is true, we can then have a lot of interest in speculating on why it is so.

S

Spook

Biff we need a sample of injuries the last 10 years :D

One thing I have noted is that Mortlock hasn't been injured as often since Deans took over.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
AUSTRALIA

1. Ioane, 2009
2. McMenamin, multiple
3. Shepherd, 2008
4. Horwill, 2008
5. Holmes
6. Dunning
7. Kepu
8. Larkham
9. Mortlock

NEW ZEALAND

1. Carter, 2009

SOUTH AFRICA

1. Jean de Villers, 2007

How about adding some names to get a survey, as Spook suggests? I'm not your data boy :).

Status
Not open for further replies.