• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nevawaz

Bob McCowan (2)
Sorry mate not meant to be . My view is that there are close to 2 million people living in the west with only 2 clubs of which1 ,despite the best efforts of the good people involved have sides regularly beaten by 100 points. The idea is more about developing and promoting the game rather than bringing down any particular club.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Sorry mate not meant to be . My view is that there are close to 2 million people living in the west with only 2 clubs of which1 ,despite the best efforts of the good people involved have sides regularly beaten by 100 points. The idea is more about developing and promoting the game rather than bringing down any particular club.

I don't think it's a terrible idea. It's a very neglected region even in comparison to others. Especially when you consider the swathes of talent that emerges from here in other sports.

Blackers13

Syd Malcolm (24)
The answer is in resourcing 'the good people' you refer to. We have the profile and infrastructure of volunteers and juniors, we just need the ARU to put some serious effort in promoting the game at junior level. The AFL have 24 development officers in Western Sydney. The Wanderers have a massive support base from scratch and while Panthers, Eels! Bulldogs and Tigers had average seasons, their ability to promote their game is obvious. Don't try to relegate the two clubs who fight an impossible battle for the hearts and minds of the west into some rinky dink second comp, get out here and give us a hand ARU!

SackRobbie

Chris McKivat (8)
For the "well run clubs" as Dave puts it, no such relationship is necessary. There is nothing stopping SS Clubs from entering teams into Subbies. Any player playing for the Manly, for example, are registered to Manly. And can play with whatever team they are selected for, regardless of which competition they are in.

Instead of some horrible decline, it would actually strengthen SS Clubs because guys could join the Club and work their way up.

The good ones would find their lower grades making their way to the top of Div 1 Subbies and the others that are currently struggling would be under no pressure to field so many teams. The Subbies Clubs will benefit from having the quality competition.

Ambitious clubs will succeed, well run social clubs will continue and cultureless clubs will die..just has it has always been The difference is the ridiculous protection being afforded some SS clubs would disappear. If these Clubs are so important to the fabric of Sydney Rugby, let them prove it.

The rules don't need to change. No new competition needs to be invented. And huge sums of money don't need to be spent. The structure already exists.

The issue here is that if a SS team wanted to create a Subbies club then it would need to come through the Divisions. Similar to the way that Shute Shield Board members don't want promotion & relegation I would think that the majority of Clubs in Division 1 & 2 of Subbies would not want a SS team to just waltz into Division 1.

Furthermore I am not sure of the constitution but I would think that the bi-laws prevent a team coming straight into Div 1. Div 2 teams would be up in arms.

And when a SS team did come into Div 1 or Div 2 they would have to provide 5 grades plus 1 Colts team to match the other teams in those Divisions.

That is why it would be difficult for a Club to come straight in and makes more sense for affiliations but I don't see too much benefit for the Subbies team unless they provided cash, admin, coaches & players.

In other words I cant see this happening.

Tah and feathered

Watty Friend (18)
The issue here is that if a SS team wanted to create a Subbies club then it would need to come through the Divisions. Similar to the way that Shute Shield Board members don't want promotion & relegation I would think that the majority of Clubs in Division 1 & 2 of Subbies would not want a SS team to just waltz into Division 1.

Furthermore I am not sure of the constitution but I would think that the bi-laws prevent a team coming straight into Div 1. Div 2 teams would be up in arms.

And when a SS team did come into Div 1 or Div 2 they would have to provide 5 grades plus 1 Colts team to match the other teams in those Divisions.

That is why it would be difficult for a Club to come straight in and makes more sense for affiliations but I don't see too much benefit for the Subbies team unless they provided cash, admin, coaches & players.

The Sydney comp and Subbies are two completely competitions and if a player was to play Subbies he needs a clearance and if he went back to SS he would need a clearance from Subbies
The paperwork would be a nightmare for all concerned

Rugby Central

Charlie Fox (21)

I never suggested they come straight into division 1 or 2. Aboslutely come through the divisions. They could however by virtue of numbers come into Div 5, or even solve the Subbies "Div 4" problem. Interestingly though, if you've seen some Div 3 Subbies Rugby or higher, I think many SS lower grades "Waltzing" into anything would be an assumption.

Separately, one of the quaint little traditions in Subbies is there's a gradings meeting every year where all Clubs get to vote on which division their contempories play in. If the Clubs had no problems they could very easily put a SS side straight in to Div 1 if they wanted to. Don't see it happening though.

As for the "paperwork", that exists because, currently, you have to change clubs to play between the two competitions. I believe staying in the same club requires no paperwork. As I've mentioned before, I've seen SS Clubs enter teams in lower divisions before as well as U85kgs competitions. I've been a part of moving several players between Clubs and competitions. It's only as hard as people want to make it. Otherwise it takes about 5 minutes when everyone works together.

For those fearful of Clubs stacking their lower divisions, how long do you think that would last. The point of lower division Rugby is fun. You keep screwing those guys over you lose players, members, supporters and (the real biggy) money. As I said, cultureless clubs will die.

Jaghond

Ted Fahey (11)
Without wishing to expose my naiveté, is anyone able to advise how this works in Aerial Ping Pong or 6-tackle…..
If my very regrettably shallow understanding re AFL is concerned, (and using these teams purely as examples….) someone who plays for the Swans can get dropped to say the Drummoyne Power ( I think ?) if they aren’t performing……which I would have thought was akin to shifting between Grade & Subbies ??

(Provided the Grade & Subbies Clubs were "aligned" ??)

I’m not trying to deal with all of the other Machiavellian issues that might pop up ( re stacking of sides etc) – just interested in the actual principle & how it works from a registration, insurance perspective etc.

Thanks
The Hound

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Well, the problem with trying to compare the two scenarios is that rugby's equivalent to the AFL or NRL is Super Rugby, and not club rugby..........

But in regards to the AFL, there are various scenarios.......

The Melbourne teams have feeder clubs which a player might run out for if dropped or coming back from injury........

In the other states players might go back to the clubs they represented pre-AFL, or if they've come from interstate they may be allocated a club via a "mini-draft" or go out as a "guest player".........

Anyways, that's just a simplistic overview.......

I would assume the NRL operates in a similar fashion, but I do know they have feeder clubs that operated in a more convoluted fashion eg. Canberra's feeder club is in Brisbane.........

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Well, the problem with trying to compare the two scenarios is that rugby's equivalent to the AFL or NRL is Super Rugby, and not club rugby....

But in regards to the AFL, there are various scenarios...

The Melbourne teams have feeder clubs which a player might run out for if dropped or coming back from injury....

In the other states players might go back to the clubs they represented pre-AFL, or if they've come from interstate they may be allocated a club via a "mini-draft" or go out as a "guest player"...

Anyways, that's just a simplistic overview...

I would assume the NRL operates in a similar fashion, but I do know they have feeder clubs that operated in a more convoluted fashion eg. Canberra's feeder club is in Brisbane...

Canberra also have Mounties as their feeder club in the NSW Cup. Most if not all of the NSW NRL clubs run teams either under their banner or under subsidary clubs.

Tah and feathered

Watty Friend (18)
Cam Blades has resigned from Southern Districts
He is the forwards coach for the Aust 20s and won't have time to do both roles at the level he wants to
He will be available to help at Souths on an add hoc basis.
Be interesting who will get the role

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
Cam Blades has resigned from Southern Districts
He is the forwards coach for the Aust 20s and won't have time to do both roles at the level he wants to
He will be available to help at Souths on an add hoc basis.
Be interesting who will get the role
Matt Barr was his co coach & is highly rated by many. Souths could do worse than bringing him on in a Head Coach capacity.

jay-c

Ron Walden (29)
has anyone considered a point system for the shute shield whereby if a player changes clubs, comes from another state/ country they are assigned points and clubs are only allowed a certain amount of points per team or are penalised for having over X points in their starting team?
its something which would have to be introduced over a 5 years or so but it would certainly reduce the appeal for clubs to steal players from other teams

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Touch football had a points system, that limited the top 4 from recruiting players.it was quite strict and most top 4 teams did not have room to recruit outside players at all,and were forced to rely on existing players and juniors.

Spieber

Bob Loudon (25)
The SUFC UK touring squad makes for interesting reading. A clique more exclusive than the Australian Club or even ARU HQ. Membership prerequisites are past attendance at a GPS school or Andrews/Johns/Pauls college, or indeed preferably both. Not a glowing advertisement for SUFC.

Gibbo

Ron Walden (29)
Gordon's website has just had a major transformation in preparation for Season 2014.
The new website was made possible through the generosity of one of our supporters who funded the project. We acknowledge their request to remain anonymous and on behalf of all Gordon players, supporters and administrators thank them for their "overwhelming" support.

Gordon Rugby

As with season 2013 - I'll be managing the Site and it's content for 2014, as well as the online presence for the club so feel free to send me any questions or queries in all the usual spots. Gibbo

Status
Not open for further replies.