• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

MANLY 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
How good was Maile's steel on Carter in the second half.

I haven't re watched the game yet, 2 tries whilst Jordy was in the bin - ouch.
If Jordy was binned it surely should have been reciprocated with Uni's repeated infringements.

I couldn't help thinking that different rules were being applied to the two teams. Uni conceded a string of penalties early in the match in the red zone but not even a caution from the ref and then twice late in the second half Tilse stood up in the scrum before the ball was out and the ref ignored it. The old story of once the ref believes one side is dominating the scrums every problem looks like the other sides fault. I agree the two tries while Jordy was in the bin were the turning point as Uni didn't look too impressive up to then.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Zander it was Uni that celebrated like it was a grand final, players ran in from the sideline.
Manly - need to;
take note of how to finish off.
play with the same intensity and commitment for the next 3 weeks and each week their game will build.
There was a lot of good stuff to take away and put in the bank, and most punters agree there was concern about the ref.

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Was it my imagination or were Uni players "accidently" falling on the Manly side of the ruck most of the game. In what I saw it was a deliberate attempt to slow down Manly's play as it happened just about every time there was a Manly ruck in that opening period. No penalty was given or warning to the Uni players

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Was it my imagination or were Uni players "accidently" falling on the Manly side of the ruck most of the game. In what I saw it was a deliberate attempt to slow down Manly's play as it happened just about every time there was a Manly ruck in that opening period. No penalty was given or warning to the Uni players

In the last 2 minutes, Maile had an awesome steal, Uni didn't release and allowed players to come around the side to stop it.
Ref was on the other side and the touchy did nothing.
Awarded a penalty to Uni and the rest is history.
Should have been a penalty to us + 3 points and game over.

Please note though this is live, I want to review on the box to confirm.

The Galah

Darby Loudon (17)
Some unacceptable comments there, but Carter sure doesn't do anything to stop the taunts. I noticed while the rest of the Uni team were celebrating the win Tom immediately ran over to the hill to have a go at his knockers. They won't stop until he does!
Yep and as I said on SS thread his antics at the other end in front of stand were an overeach and win him no friends. For such a limite player he should just shut up. Fortunately his captain and other behave with a lot more dignity

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Okay back to a rugby thread, rather than the petty he said she said in the Shute thread.

Great write up on the Manly site, link below.

Important to soak up the feeling, take away the good, and deliver in no uncertain terms next week.

Call that the GF, you need to loose one to win one - keep building the momentum.

http://www.manlyrugby.com.au/news-m...menu-100/813-marlins-gutted-by-late-late-loss

It's been said, Jordy, & Maile sensational, and Sef combined perfectly in the centre's.
Whole team was strong but special mention must also go to Porecki who propped against 2 Super 15 props, and popped them - why no penalty?

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Okay back to a rugby thread, rather than the petty he said she said in the Shute thread.

Great write up on the Manly site, link below.

Important to soak up the feeling, take away the good, and deliver in no uncertain terms next week.

Call that the GF, you need to loose one to win one - keep building the momentum.

http://www.manlyrugby.com.au/news-m...menu-100/813-marlins-gutted-by-late-late-loss

It's been said, Jordy, & Maile sensational, and Sef combined perfectly in the centre's.
Whole team was strong but special mention must also go to Porecki who propped against 2 Super 15 props, and popped them - why no penalty?

IMO refs even at international level only look at the scrum under pressure and the dominant scrum gets away with murder eg McCaw breaking early.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
The relevant section of the Laws is:

20.8 (i) Lifting or forcing an opponent up. A front row player must not lift an opponent in the air, or force an opponent upwards out of the scrum, either when the ball is being thrown in or afterwards. This is dangerous play. Sanction: Penalty kick.
So on the scenario you present, Dave, a penalty should have been awarded, but from a Manly point of view, it's lucky it wasn't.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
The relevant section of the Laws is:

20.8 (i) Lifting or forcing an opponent up. A front row player must not lift an opponent in the air, or force an opponent upwards out of the scrum, either when the ball is being thrown in or afterwards. This is dangerous play. Sanction: Penalty kick.
So on the scenario you present, Dave, a penalty should have been awarded, but from a Manly point of view, it's lucky it wasn't.

Bruce, technically you are correct, but 19 times out of 20 it's the player who stands up who is penalised for not staying bound.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Bruce, technically you are correct, but 19 times out of 20 it's the player who stands up who is penalised for not staying bound.

I agree completely, tc. As an ex-prop who was very much undersized but with the advantage of being one of the very few in that era addicted to weight training, I can remember the feeling of dominance when you popped your opponent as well as the feeling of helplessness when you were being elevated. I am not sure that it is a particularly dangerous manouevre but I think it is in everyone's interests for scrums not to be disrupted, so I think this clause of the Laws, if enforced, serves a useful purpose.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
I agree completely, tc. As an ex-prop who was very much undersized but with the advantage of being one of the very few in that era addicted to weight training, I can remember the feeling of dominance when you popped your opponent as well as the feeling of helplessness when you were being elevated. I am not sure that it is a particularly dangerous manouevre but I think it is everyone's interests for scrums not to be disrupted, so I think this clause of the Laws, if enforced, serves a useful purpose.

G'day Bruce - my view on the weekend (and I could be wrong) Uni stood up and could have (not should have) been pinged. My front row days as player was popped when they were off their feet.

The weekend I think the scrums were close to fairly judged and they didn't ruin the game.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
G'day Bruce - my view on the weekend (and I could be wrong) Uni stood up and could have (not should have) been pinged. My front row days as player was popped when they were off their feet.

The weekend I think the scrums were close to fairly judged and they didn't ruin the game.

I watched the game from the grandstand corner, Dave, and haven't yet had the chance to look at the game on ABC iView, but I would tend to agree with you. I thought that Manly had fairly clear dominance early on with Uni reversing the situation late in the game as the Manly pack tired.

Without having seen the scrums from side on it appeared to me that the referee did a good job in controlling and adjudicating that section of the game and the packs seemed to be coping fairly well with the new requirements. Contrary to the opinion of many others I think they represent a significant improvement. It appears that a pack that is powerful and well-structured in terms of binding and joint angles so that they are able to deliver force efficiently as a unit will be rewarded, and that is a desirable outcome.

As for the ill-informed opinion of the Foxtel commentators - verging on tautology here - that under the new Laws it will be virtually impossible for the hooker to strike, they are presumably unaware that prior to the charging engagement becoming fashionable hookers had been coping quite adequately for at least a century of rugby history.

And yes, I agree with you. My interpretation of being popped is that it refers to the situation where your feet are no longer in contact with the ground.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
I watched the game from the grandstand corner, Dave, and haven't yet had the chance to look at the game on ABC iView, but I would tend to agree with you. I thought that Manly had fairly clear dominance early on with Uni reversing the situation late in the game as the Manly pack tired.

Without having seen the scrums from side on it appeared to me that the referee did a good job in controlling and adjudicating that section of the game and the packs seemed to be coping fairly well with the new requirements. Contrary to the opinion of many others I think they represent a significant improvement. It appears that a pack that is powerful and well-structured in terms of binding and joint angles so that they are able to deliver force efficiently as a unit will be rewarded, and that is a desirable outcome.

As for the ill-informed opinion of the Foxtel commentators - verging on tautology here - that under the new Laws it will be virtually impossible for the hooker to strike, they are presumably unaware that prior to the charging engagement becoming fashionable hookers had been coping quite adequately for at least a century of rugby history.

And yes, I agree with you. My interpretation of being popped is that it refers to the situation where your feet are no longer in contact with the ground.

Compared to recent times when they haven't had to worry about striking as the half fed the ball into the 2nd row!

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Manly face a strong balanced Easts team this week, both games this year were close, and last year they dusted us when we didn't show up.
They have nothing to loose, and people are writing them off after our game against Uni - so BEWARE, BEWARE.

The game plan, for 90 minutes, and stick to the structure.

This is now sudden death for all grades

Lets show that rowdy, noisy, Manly Supporters travel - get down to Coogee and enjoy the 24 degree day.

Colts are playing a Local Derby Semi on Sunday down at Forshaw, we've taken the points in both games through the season. Finals football is a different intensity, and the Rats have had a strong second half of the season. Rip in and bring home the spoils.

Knock out game vs Easts, 3pm, Sunday 1st Sept, Coogee Oval

The MMMs delivered a massive performance against Uni last Sunday in the narrowest of losses: 23-25. This was (club) rugby at its best! Another fantastic crowd of MMMs supporters turned out for an epic game which was lost after the full 80 mins had ticked over to a drop goal from incumbent Waratahs 5/8th Bernard Foley.

Many commented that this was top level rugby, equivalent to Super rugby levels, played in an entertaining and sporting way. NSW and Sydney Rugby Unions were delighted with the game and support shown. No other club can boast such a regular and large turn out in the competition and this was the first final series day held at Manly Oval for many years. Long may it continue!

It is important to understand that we are talking about a MMMs team comprising of young men who mostly have to work for a living (trades, retail, banks, whatever) versus a professional group of players dedicated and contracted to their sports pursuit.

“We knew if we stuck to our structure we could win it,” said MMMs 5/8th Marshall Milroy with good dose of belief. “ We made a few errors and let them back in. Unfortunately, I kicked out a ball on the full in the last minutes. The line out went back. We gave a away a penalty and the drive from this gave the drop goal position.”

Marshall had a stonking game against the opposing Super Rugby players Nick Phipps and Foley. “I feel confident in our game plan and players around me to make the decisions,” he said modestly. He worked a lovely try sliding through the 9/10 drift channel rather than off loading inside to a winger. Fooled ya!

“He has a smart football brain,” said MMMs coach Phil Blake about Marshall. “He has been great for us this season and sticks to our structure and game plan.”

“We’ve probably been under estimated as a backline this season but we defend well and know that we can attack from anywhere with speed,” said Marshall.

So to Easts

“Look out!” exclaimed Marshall simply. There is no question that about the team “getting up” for the knock out semi. “We take it each game at a time but know we can give any team a tough time.”

“We have beaten them twice this season but are expecting a different and committed Easts,” said pragmatic as always Phil. “When you play at a higher level, the better teams win on the big moments and that’s difference. We are a lot better prepared than previous years but any ill discipline in the game will be punished.”

Team Sheet

The MMMs run out the same team as against Uni. Prop Tim Fairbrother may be back but awaiting a fitness test.

1 Dave Porecki, 2 Pat Leafa, 3 Eddie Aholelei, 4 Ed Gower (c), 5 Caydern Neville, 6 Dylan Sigg, 7 Jordy Reid, 8 Luke Jones, 9 Matt Lucas, 10 Marshall Milroy, 11 Jacob Woodhouse, 12 Brian Sefanaia, 13 Malietoa Hingano, 14 Richard Hooper, 15 BJ Hartmann

MM MMM

Marshall Milroy moved to the MMMs three years ago after playing for Souths. Previously he played for the Reds off the bench a few times and Waratahs A for a number of games.

“I had issues off the field last year settling in my young family locally and a new job. I couldn’t give footy my full focus. But this year I’ve been given the chance and it has come together under Blakey.”

“I didn’t mind playing seconds last year. I was pleased to be part of a good and supportive club. I advise players to keep going and stick with it. There is no point in over reacting if you get dropped. Play your best and take the opportunity when you get back.”

Marshall has been instrumental in coaching the club’s 7s squad. “Yeah I started training sessions late last year and before we knew it we had over 30 players turning up. To me it is important to have a good bunch of boys who get on well, work for each other and play together.” The MMMs won two pre-season 7s comps. It is a huge help in building club camaraderie and confidence.

Done that

Ron Walden (29)
Manly face a strong balanced Easts team this week, both games this year were close, and last year they dusted us when we didn't show up.
They have nothing to loose, and people are writing them off after our game against Uni - so BEWARE, BEWARE.

The game plan, for 90 minutes, and stick to the structure.

This is now sudden death for all grades

Lets show that rowdy, noisy, Manly Supporters travel - get down to Coogee and enjoy the 24 degree day.

Colts are playing a Local Derby Semi on Sunday down at Forshaw, we've taken the points in both games through the season. Finals football is a different intensity, and the Rats have had a strong second half of the season. Rip in and bring home the spoils.

Knock out game vs Easts, 3pm, Sunday 1st Sept, Coogee Oval

The MMMs delivered a massive performance against Uni last Sunday in the narrowest of losses: 23-25. This was (club) rugby at its best! Another fantastic crowd of MMMs supporters turned out for an epic game which was lost after the full 80 mins had ticked over to a drop goal from incumbent Waratahs 5/8th Bernard Foley.

Many commented that this was top level rugby, equivalent to Super rugby levels, played in an entertaining and sporting way. NSW and Sydney Rugby Unions were delighted with the game and support shown. No other club can boast such a regular and large turn out in the competition and this was the first final series day held at Manly Oval for many years. Long may it continue!

It is important to understand that we are talking about a MMMs team comprising of young men who mostly have to work for a living (trades, retail, banks, whatever) versus a professional group of players dedicated and contracted to their sports pursuit.

“We knew if we stuck to our structure we could win it,” said MMMs 5/8th Marshall Milroy with good dose of belief. “ We made a few errors and let them back in. Unfortunately, I kicked out a ball on the full in the last minutes. The line out went back. We gave a away a penalty and the drive from this gave the drop goal position.”

Marshall had a stonking game against the opposing Super Rugby players Nick Phipps and Foley. “I feel confident in our game plan and players around me to make the decisions,” he said modestly. He worked a lovely try sliding through the 9/10 drift channel rather than off loading inside to a winger. Fooled ya!

“He has a smart football brain,” said MMMs coach Phil Blake about Marshall. “He has been great for us this season and sticks to our structure and game plan.”

“We’ve probably been under estimated as a backline this season but we defend well and know that we can attack from anywhere with speed,” said Marshall.

So to Easts

“Look out!” exclaimed Marshall simply. There is no question that about the team “getting up” for the knock out semi. “We take it each game at a time but know we can give any team a tough time.”

“We have beaten them twice this season but are expecting a different and committed Easts,” said pragmatic as always Phil. “When you play at a higher level, the better teams win on the big moments and that’s difference. We are a lot better prepared than previous years but any ill discipline in the game will be punished.”

Team Sheet

The MMMs run out the same team as against Uni. Prop Tim Fairbrother may be back but awaiting a fitness test.

1 Dave Porecki, 2 Pat Leafa, 3 Eddie Aholelei, 4 Ed Gower (c), 5 Caydern Neville, 6 Dylan Sigg, 7 Jordy Reid, 8 Luke Jones, 9 Matt Lucas, 10 Marshall Milroy, 11 Jacob Woodhouse, 12 Brian Sefanaia, 13 Malietoa Hingano, 14 Richard Hooper, 15 BJ Hartmann

MM MMM

Marshall Milroy moved to the MMMs three years ago after playing for Souths. Previously he played for the Reds off the bench a few times and Waratahs A for a number of games.

“I had issues off the field last year settling in my young family locally and a new job. I couldn’t give footy my full focus. But this year I’ve been given the chance and it has come together under Blakey.”

“I didn’t mind playing seconds last year. I was pleased to be part of a good and supportive club. I advise players to keep going and stick with it. There is no point in over reacting if you get dropped. Play your best and take the opportunity when you get back.”

Marshall has been instrumental in coaching the club’s 7s squad. “Yeah I started training sessions late last year and before we knew it we had over 30 players turning up. To me it is important to have a good bunch of boys who get on well, work for each other and play together.” The MMMs won two pre-season 7s comps. It is a huge help in building club camaraderie and confidence.

Played for West Harbour initially.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Played for West Harbour initially.

And then Randwick.
I believe while he was at the Wicks his family moved back to Brisbane and he was flying to and fro.
Souths then found him a job and a house for his family in Sydney so he jumped ship.
One of those class players who always seems to have so much time to do things -- never panics. He's a calming influence in the MMM backline and what a great kicking game.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
I'm hoping Ref Lees doesn't qualify for finals rugby.

A quick rewind to my post from round one, I'm sure there is video footage of it should any one want to rewind the season;

1s - 4 tries to 2, so we took the 5 points back over the Spit. The ref ruined this game, maybe for both teams. Our forward back continually destroyed them at set peice, and at rucks and malls but our ball was continually slowed down, and spoiled. Ref - players have to roll away, there has to be seperation after the tackle, you must enter through the gate.

This week - I thought it was odd before the game how social the Beasties looked with the ref??? Oddly enough for me after significant time lapsed for me to take a pic - unfortunately the pic did't reflect the social occasions that took place, but it appeared ref Lees was right at home with the Beasties crew

There is nothing wrong with keep communications and understanding open, and I have know idea what was being discussed.
2nd Sep 13 124.jpg

??Then the 12 - 6 penalty count in favour of Easts with 15 minutes to play??

Anyway that's how I read it, and others are free to view it differently.

Re watched the game on the box and even the ABC commentators thought some of the decisions were questionable. Only some.

Any way game time.
3's, 2s, 1s, tight games on all fronts.
Manly suffered a few injuries last week, and also lost a couple of players off shore (Cecil Hilterbrand, and Adam Darcy). The props for the club had to stand up this week, and they did in all grades - well done. The second grade scrum destroyed the Norths scrum on a number of occasions and there was at least one seasoned first grader in the Norths pack.

A grinding game, the "D" and keeping Easts to one try + the consolation is what won the game. For that matter the D in 2's was also awesome with some big hits being made.

Some big names turned out for Easts, Grey, Chapman, McKibben, and a game like that was needed needed after last week.

Front row had a very solid 80 minute game - well done.
Luke Jones was a stand out.
Marshall Milroy had great control, and his 2 touches in the Jordy try were special.

Status
Not open for further replies.