• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Marc Stcherbina hangs up the boots from injury

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
From the beeb

Stcherbina forced to quit rugby

Marc Stcherbina was injured during a Heineken Cup match in Toulouse

Dragons centre Marc Stcherbina has been forced to retire following a serious neck injury suffered in December.

The ex-Australia A cap, 32, suffered the blow in the Dragons' 26-7 Heineken Cup loss in Toulouse on 6 December.

In the wake of the injury Stcherbina underwent a successful neck operation in France.

"Obviously this is not how I would have liked my playing career to have ended. But... I am still a long way from the level of recovery needed," he said.

Stcherbina joined the Dragons from Welsh rivals Cardiff Blues in the summer of 2008, after stints with New South Wales Waratahs, Biarritz and Northampton.

"I would like to take this opportunity to once again thank the Dragons for their continued support this season, particularly during these past six months," Stcherbina.

"Every member of staff here together with the players and fans have made me feel welcome since I arrived and have shown overwhelming concern and support since my injury."

Dragons head coach Paul Turner said: "Marc is a quality guy as well as a great player and his loss was a big blow to the side.

"Although it is not unexpected - given the injury - that Marc has had to retire, it is obviously disappointing for him and the Dragons. In his short time at the Dragons he made a huge impact.

"I was very pleased when we were able to secure his services for the season and until his injury he certainly lived up to every expectation.

"Marc has proved through his time in France, England and Wales that he has been one of the top performers European rugby has seen over the last few years and we wish him all the best in his retirement."

Cardiff Blues chief executive Robert Norster said: "Besides being a player capable of mixing it with the very best at the elite end of the game, Marc is a positive character with a great personality who has a skill-set that will undoubtedly ensure a successful career beyond the field of play."

Check out his Simpson impressions! http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/welsh/7828913.stm

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Well played that man, and those Homer impersonations were just GOLD. He's bloody good. ;D

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Should never have let him leave the Tahs in favour of Mungo-boy Rogers.

If he and Stanny had been allowed to continue as first-choice outside backs at the Tahs, and hung around long enough for our forwards to develop, we'd have a couple of S14 titles by now.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
With Whits & Stcherber retired, the Sydney Boys High era is officially over.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
NTA said:

If he and Stanny had been allowed to continue as first-choice outside backs at the Tahs, and hung around long enough for our forwards to develop, we'd have a couple of S14 titles by now.

I beg to disagree, totally. The Tahs' problems have been and are far beyond anything Stcherbina and Staniforth could fix.

eddo

Larry Dwyer (12)
Biffo said:
NTA said:

I beg to disagree, totally. The Tahs' problems have been and are far beyond anything Stcherbina and Staniforth could fix.

I think Scotty was a vital member of the squad. It wasn't his fault that management couldn't get a decent 10 inside him.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Biffo said:

I've never heard someone beg to be wrong before. Well done that man.

When the two of them were on the Tah wings, the problems were in the forwards - people blamed our lack of a flyhalf but Manny Edmonds went to Perpignan and, with a decent pack, thrived.

When we finally got a decent pack at NSW, our backs went to shit because we didn't have any experience. Stebby at inside or outside centre with Stanny on the wing would have been excellent base for our backline.

eddo

Larry Dwyer (12)
Well,

While we're doing all the reminiscing.. Why don't we just bring back Nathan Grey? and jolt Dan Herbert's career back to life and pretend he played for NSW. . I always wanted to see those two play together. Talk about intimidating. Sonny Bill would've been dodging passes to avoid the hits.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
eddo said:
Well,

While we're doing all the reminiscing.. Why don't we just bring back Nathan Grey? and jolt Dan Herbert's career back to life and pretend he played for NSW. . I always wanted to see those two play together. Talk about intimidating. Sonny Bill would've been dodging passes to avoid the hits.

2001 Lions series.

eddo

Larry Dwyer (12)
I knew someone would say that...

I meant through a whole S14 (..S12..) but anyway.. the point stands.

That tour is a bit of a blur now,.. looking at the results it would suggest that the current Lions better not think the warm up games mean anything at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.