• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Matt Giteau

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Just watched French highlights.

He has been on fire this year and superb in the last few games.

Looks to me he is playing the best rugby of his career.

How long before Australia relaxes the overseas eligibility?

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)

Very long. Agree with how good he is but we cannot do that. It will open the floodgates.

With our shortage of wingers, could do with Mitchell and Ioane too.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)

I would actually be interested to find out how interested Gitaeu was, and if he would entertain the idea of a return. Remember the ARU didn't exactly beg for him to stay, and its also a classic "personality" clash with a Wallabies coach that sent him over seas to bigger and better things - so many apparently shit Australian players leave and seem to all of a sudden find bags of talent and skills overnight. when they are overseas.

I agree with qwerty51, we cant afford to changes the rules as it will open the flood gates, but we need to do something. It is amazing watching the Top 14 each week (eurosport does 2 games a week on foxtel) how many Aussie players there are over there and how much talent we have let go.

I totally get why players go and stay for long periods as its a good life style, good competitive competition (almost international) and you know what your getting paid rain, hail or shine (unlike here where the ARU will give you $$ per game if you are in the coaches plans, pamper to his every whim, tow the line and don't ever clash or piss him off - instant pay cut if you do and you are stuck in Australia until your contract expires).

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
Select those that do go or don't give them a reason to go which is what the rebels and force are about. Guys like English, Inman, jones, smith, weekes would probably all be in Europe without Aus expansion.
Now we just need a $50m a year tv deal and relax the third party sponsorship rules (have existing $500k remain but have a carve out of up to additional $300k for three marquee players)

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
The dire financial state of the ARU, combined with the big $$$ offered in Japan and Europe will make it inevitable that overseas players will need to be considered for Wallaby selection.
The challenge will be managing it effectively so the numbers returning are limited.
Rugby like soccer is a global game and like it or not, we're competing with the big boys for talent.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
For a decent inside back to shine in French rugby is pretty easy, given the dross that is served up week in, week out.

For a country that has produced some of the most exciting players the world has ever seen, not to mention some teams who played rugby in the most adventurous, creative, style possible, they have fallen a long, long way.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
The dire financial state of the ARU, combined with the big $$$ offered in Japan and Europe will make it inevitable that overseas players will need to be considered for Wallaby selection.
The challenge will be managing it effectively so the numbers returning are limited.
Rugby like soccer is a global game and like it or not, we're competing with the big boys for talent.

Soccer has transfer fees.

T

Train Without a Station

Wow. Giteau must be the first player to leave Australia playing averagely and shine in Europe...

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
(almost international)

Almost, that Toulon squad is crazy, has a lot of international caps and would give most international line ups a run for their money. After all they did knock Munster out of the Heineken Cup and Munster beat the Wallabies the last time they clashed.

Reactions: mst

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Very long. Agree with how good he is but we cannot do that. It will open the floodgates.

Im not so sure that's the case Qwerty. I agree that there would likely be an influx of players going abroad but my gut says it wouldnt be as severe as some people think. Some players would go abroad, but most wouldn't. Most aussie, particularly those at the start of their careers, prefer to live and work in their home country, with their friend and family. Some will want to play for their local super team. Some players will follow the money but the majority of those fiscally minded players are already going abroad. Yes relaxing eligibilty rules will see some players leave that perhaps would have stayed but not as many as some suggest.

Relaxing eligibity could be as simple as requiring players to play say 50 tests for aus before being eligible abroad. There is only a handful of australian players that fit into that category and the ARU has the ability to top up a few contracts if they really want a player to stay. I think a rule like that would actually provide good intensive for our young wallaby rookies (like douglas)

Given that the ARU rely so heavily on the success of the Wallabies they probably have to find a solution. It could get to the point when we have a better team in Europe than we do in Aus.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Wow. Giteau must be the first player to leave Australia playing averagely and shine in Europe.

So all European club rugby is shit.

I take you watch Heineken Cup and reckon its piss easy rugby?

Seems to me the guy matured and is more focussed than he ever was here.

He hates playing under Deans didn't he? Under the right coach for the Wobs I reckon he would shine.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
I agree Blue. He would possibly be worth considering for spot in the squad. Not sure he would make the RC squad tho

Also I think its worth remembering that Giteau played a lot of good rugby for the wobs long before deans came along

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
For a decent inside back to shine in French rugby is pretty easy, given the dross that is served up week in, week out.

For a country that has produced some of the most exciting players the world has ever seen, not to mention some teams who played rugby in the most adventurous, creative, style possible, they have fallen a long, long way.

I would say that's a fair comment for most of their games, but there are plenty of games in the top 14 that on par with the soup running rugby - but there are limited French backs who can play this style without having other international around them. IMHO its why you see the reversion to the dower game play at international level. I will be interested to see what type of game play we get out of them when they play the Wallabies.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
The silver lining to Australian players plying their trade internationally is the promotion of the quality of players Australia produces.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
Clubs are financially compensated for a player going. I.e giteau goes to Toulon and Toulon has to pay the brumbies $1m for him. It helps poorer clubs who have good systems and produce good talent. That way they invest in a player and get something out of it when he leaves.
Under current system in rugby you get nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.