• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Media beat up of the week: Bird playing club rugby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Unfortunately, there's no "media beat up" icon, so I went with the League icon...which doesn't look league-like at all. Ah well...on to the beat up!

Sydney rugby clubs interested in signing Greg Bird

By Jon Geddes
February 19, 2009

Greg Bird may play for "a cut lunch" this year after losing his $350,000-a-season contract to play rugby league in 2008.

Bird may return to the football field playing club rugby union, with at least half-a-dozen Sydney clubs expressing interest in the fallen NRL star.

The Sydney rugby competition could provide Bird with a stepping stone to a European deal.

NSW Rugby chief executive Jim L'Estrange said the former Cronulla player was not suspended and there was nothing to stop rugby teams signing him.

"If there is any suspension in rugby league then that would carry over to rugby union so he wouldn't be eligible to play rugby union for any of our clubs," L'Estrange said.

L'Estrange emphasised that New South Wales Waratahs had no interest in signing Bird.

"It becomes a club decision and they will have to make a judicious decision as to whether it is good thing or not for them, taking everything on board," he said.

West Harbour general manager Gary Jones said his club would love to have a player of Bird's calibre "if he wanted to play for our standard playing fee, which buys you a cut lunch every second day".

Gordon coach Lachlan Fear, meanwhile, said the club had considered recruiting Bird.

"The biggest thing about getting a new guy to the club is does he fit the culture of the club," Fear said.

"If their character is not up to scratch then is no point in having them around."

Eastern Suburbs rugby manager Peter Maddocks said his club didn't shut the door on anyone.

"A community rugby club needs a good culture and I'm not necessarily talking about Greg Bird," Maddocks said.

"If we thought he would be someone who would be of benefit to the club - not only on the field but away from the field - then we would be interested."

Norths general manager Grant Richardson said he couldn't rule anything out.

"We would have to sit down and talk to the individual and see if our objectives are the same," he said.

Southern Districts are considered the favourites to sign Bird, as he has spent time training with the team and lives in the area.

But club general manager Craig Hawkings has played down the speculation.

"He is good mates with a couple of the young blokes here and they went to school together," Hawkings said of Bird.

"We have haven't discussed it."

Randwick coach Gary Ella said the Galloping Greens were always interested in good players "but he would have to prove his personal issues are behind him".

Eastwood coach Brian Melrose said Bird was clearly a good player.

Asked if his club could sign him Melrose said: "It would not be out of the question but it's not something I have given a lot of thought to."

Bird's manager, Gavin Orr, had no comment to make on a possible switch of codes.

Well done, Mr Geddes, without talking to the player or manager (both of whom I think are dickheads of the highest regard anyway) at all, you went and rang some rugby clubs for opinions on an option that might never be an option in the first place. Geddit? Geddes doesn't.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Sully said:
Hope he never picks up a footy again!

In regards to Bird: agreed. It wasn't just what he did to his gf that disgusted me, but also the way he tried to make a friend take the fall for his mistake.

Glassing a woman, or indeed any person? Pathetic.

Then trying to pin it on a close friend to get off (with the support of the manager)? Even more pathetic.

The gf sticking by him throughout all of this? Amazing.

The cynical part of me wants to know how much he is paying her.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
It appears the guy's career in league is deservedly toast for the moment.

The Sydney rugby competition could provide Bird with a stepping stone to a European deal

That is pretty accurate, some success in Sydney Club may give a French team a reason to buy him. But it is worth him looking a Tahu's comments on Marshall today

Timana Tahu calls on Benji Marshall to think local in switch

February 18, 2009

Rugby union covert Timana Tahu says Wests Tigers star Benji Marshall should forget about Japan and join a Super 14 franchise if he is serious about switching codes.

Tahu, who quit the NRL in 2007 to link with New South Wales, said Marshall would find the switch of codes difficult to manage if he didn't make it a fulltime change.

Marshall is currently exploring the possibility of playing for a Japanese rugby club during the next NRL off-season before returning to the Tigers in time for the 2010 NRL campaign.

Tahu said a move to Japan would be a soft option.

?He needs to come over here and play over here if he's going to try and crack it,'' Tahu said.

?Japan, it's probably easier on the body, there's not as many good players over there, it's really a retirement package for a lot of players.

?If you're going to try and succeed in rugby, do it the right way and play in the Super 14 or for the ARU.''

Tahu struggled to impose himself during his first year in the 15-man game, particularly with his ability to read the play in defence, though he did become a dual international when he represented Australia during last year's Tri-Nations tournament.

The 28-year-old said Marshall could find success hard to come by in rugby union, where some of his individual brilliance would be nullified.

?Benji's really good for the Wests Tigers, but rugby union's a team sport,'' Tahu said.

?You really need the whole team with you, it's a structured sport.

?I think he'll find it a lot harder.

?I think if you come into rugby thinking mentally as a rugby league player, you'll go nowhere.''

NRL boss David Gallop poured cold water on Marshall's code-share plan, saying the Kiwi international had to choose one or the other.

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Agreed Blue. Ban him for 2 years at least (its far worse than drugs in my mind) and, once he has done his time, he can play.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
nah the Sydney rugby club,

Blocked at every turn from playing rugby league this season, fallen NRL star Greg Bird will instead play Sydney club rugby in the Sutherland Shire this season.

The former State of Origin and Cronulla Sharks star has been thrown a lifeline by Southern Districts Rugby Club and is set to play for them in this year's Tooheys New Shute Shield.

"It's not about Greg Bird signing to play with Southern Districts, it's about a young bloke who is going through a pretty difficult time having the opportunity to have a bit of fun with a few of his mates," Souths rugby manager Max Currie said.

It was those friends who approached Bird and convinced him to join them at the club.

"They said come down and have a bash with us," Currie said.

"He lives in the area and it is about giving the bloke something to do in a team environment. The club is conscious of his situation and encouraged the idea of his mates getting him along."

Money has not been discussed, but if Bird played first grade he could pick up $200 to $300 a game - the same amount as the rest of the team.

NRL boss David Gallop had no problems with Bird playing club rugby.

"Greg is facing serious criminal charges but playing some sport will keep him occupied and could be good for him," Gallop said.

NSW Rugby CEO Jim L'Estrange said the Souths board had obviously thought long and hard about the decision.

"They obviously think it is the right decision for the club," L'Estrange said.

Bird will spend his Tuesday and Thursday night's running around Forshaw Rugby Park in Sylvania with amateur players after they have finished a day's work.

Currie believes Bird would play in the No.10 or 12 jumper, but said it was not about him starting on a rugby career and there are no guarantees he will play first grade.

News of Bird's future came after The Daily Telegraph revealed this week that Souths were one of half a dozen premiership rugby clubs who indicated they may have been prepared to offer Bird an opportunity to keep playing football this season.

Southern Districts recently formed a partnership with the Southern Sharks rugby league team, one of the feeder clubs for Bird's former NRL outfit Cronulla.

Part of the deal is they will be able to swap players between codes, but Currie said Bird playing in the league team was not an option.

Since his release from Cronulla Bird has been in limbo. His bid to continue his career in the English Super League with Bradford was scuttled when he could not get a work visa for the UK.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
That is shithouse. Still faces charges and is signed up by the Rebels.

Just say no, people. If he is innocent, he'll go straight back to league, if he is guilty, you'll have to sack him again. Jim L'Estrange strikes me as a complete muppet.

R

rugbywhisperer

Lindommer said:
rugbywhisperer said:
Scarfman said:
Rabbitohs or South Brisbane?

Southern Districts=St. George+Port Hacking corrected

So it's on again, thank you for your dilligence.
I forgot about Port Hacking - but I had long left Sudney for sunnier pastures when that amalgamation happened so I really don't count it in my memory, wow, came in Warringah if I remember correctly. Well at least one club survived in tact.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Fuck its not like that club has enough troubles just trying to stay in Premier division than they sign up that dickhead! Still, he'll probably carve it up a bit in second grade with the training background of a professional game. Just whether he can stand playing in front of small crowds... wait he was in the NRL so he's used to that 8)

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
rugbywhisperer said:
Lindommer said:
rugbywhisperer said:
Scarfman said:
Rabbitohs or South Brisbane?
Southern Districts=St. George+Port Hacking
I forgot about Port Hacking - but I had long left Sydney for sunnier pastures when that amalgamation happened so I really don't count it in my memory, wow, came in with Warringah if I remember correctly. Well at least one club survived intact.

Yer right there, Whispers, Port Hacking and Warringah both came in to the top level in 1971. The Rats had the priceless advantage of Slaggy Miller's presence to kick them off, a presence PH never quite had. PH merged with St George in 1989 and, to be honest, have struggled ever since. Rugby should thrive in the middle class environs of the Sutherland Shire but it doesn't, and at the moment it's in deep shit. SD's always had good junior numbers (Oatley's a very strong junior club) but they get constantly pinched by others, Randwick and Easts especially.

Sydney needs a healthy Southern Districts, and Parramatta and Penrith, to make rugby strong.

Status
Not open for further replies.