• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Melbourne Rising 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Train Without a Station

Everybody is too sensitive. That includes the people complaining about nsw and qld having too many ARU top ups.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
If the Rising do run away with it this year, you maybe just tweak things and cut down their Super Rugby players by a couple next year. It also needs to be remembered that they offered at least one Super Rugby player (Meehan) out to other teams and he wasn't snapped up.

It's certainly not something to get up in arms about. It's probably more a call out to the other teams that they need to improve their preparations and start earlier, particularly with the players that are available.

T

Train Without a Station

If I was the rising that's what I'd be pointing to. I'd be saying hey the other teams didn't even want one of ours so why are you cutting us back further.

The thing is if they make a call based on this year, what happens if next year Colby Fainga'a, Jordy Reid, Scott Fugilstaller, Bryce Hegarty, Ed Quirk, Dave Dennis, Curtis Browning, Ben Tapuai, Mike Harris, Ben Lucas, etc. are fit and playing for the other teams and the competition are a lot stronger.

Remember that the Reds for example suffered significant injuries and finished the year with something like 5 players outside the 35 playing.

What we've seen is that the teams that are missing a large chunk of their best players struggle to match up. When the replacements are club players, that's always going to be the case isn't it?

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Did anyone see the tweets that the official NRC account sent out over the weekend? Asking if the Rising squad with a heavy Super Rugby player base was "fair" to play against teams like Brisbane City, who had a higher percentage of club lads?

Firstly, if it wasn't for injury, the City team would have had significantly more Super Rugby players in the game day team.

Secondly, the Rising team is made up of players from the Super Rugby team that won the wooden spoon this year.

Thirdly, the game in Vic needs some good news and a bit of "get on board the Rising bandwagon" can only be good for the game in Vic and as a whole for the competition.

And lastly, bite me, you pack of whinging, glass-half-empty, spoil-sporting, no-clue-about-the-big-picture tossers.

Seriously, talk about a damned if you do, damned if you don't argument. All I hear is that the Rebels are second rate, and are taking up a Super Rugby spot that should go to Sth Africa/NZ/Japan/USA/Tonga/Iceland, and we are not developing any "home-grown" talent.

When we get a few wins on the board, suddenly we are a Super Rugby powerhouse that is bullying the other NRC clubs around the paddock.

The Rising doing well may just get rugby in this state a few more column inches in the paper, it may sell a few more Rebels memberships in the next Super Rugby season, it may get a player or two in a Gold jersey,and may just get a few local club players to the next level via, wait for it, developing our own talent.

ARGH.

/EndConspiracyTheoryRant

That account is just some dude north of the Murray, nothing official about it all. Bio: "Officially dedicated to the new National Rugby Championship in Australia. Unofficial Account #growthegame"

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
But next year won't rising just select 16 uninjured rebels and siphon off the remainder again. There will always be injuries but rising siphon their injuries onto the rest of the comp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I reckon we will see more Rebels/Rising in the Wallaby squad next year anyway (and remember its RWC year, so squads will be impacted by that).

The likes of Jones, PAO, Smith, Sexton, McMahon, Neville, possibly English and who the hell knows - possibly even Stirzaker? All strong contenders I reckon.

pablo

Darby Loudon (17)
Interesting post on the Rising FB page.

A heap of Victorians playing across the NRC at the moment. Here's a squad of 22. 3 Wallabies, 8 Players with Super Rugby Experience. NRC Team
1. Tetera Faulkner (Perth Spirit) - Moorabbin
2. Siliva Siliva (Canberra Vikings) Endeavour Hills
3. Cameron Betham (Greater Sydney Rams) Kiwi Hawthorn
4. Sakaria Noa (Greater Sydney Rams) Souths
5. Angus Hamilton (Melbourne Rising) Quins
6. Tala Gray (NSW Country Eagles) Northern
7. Jack Du Guingand (Qld Country) Quins
8. OJ Noa (Melbourne Rising) Quins
9. Junior Paila. (Melbourne Rising) Endeavour Hills
10. Rod Iona (Canberra Vikings) Moorabbin
11. Joe Kamana (Melbourne Rising) Moorabbin
12. Christian Lealilifano (Canberra Vikings) Northern
13. Ben Tapuai (Brisbane City) Box Hill
14. Rex Tapuai (Brisbane City) Box Hill
15. Junior Lalofi (Brisbane City) Northern
16. Tui Tuiatua (Melbourne Rising) Moorabbin
17. Fereti Saaga (Melbourne Rising) Melb Uni/Northern
18. Frank Amituanai (Melbourne Rising) Footscray
19. Sione Taufa (Melbourne Rising) Quins
20. Martin Naufahu (Melbourne Rising) Footscray
21. Lloyd Johansson (Melbourne Rising) Quins
22. Sefenaia Naivalu (Melbourne Rising) Box Hill

23. Darcy Etrich (NSW country) souths
24. Davis Tavita (Perth Spirit) Moorabbin
25. Lani Tiatia (Western Sydney Rams) Moorabbin

This is great, and shows that the Vic rugby comp is improving. You do have to take it with a grain of salt as not all of these players are home grown Victorians....e.g. Sefa, OJ, Davis...but have just played Premier rugby here.

One thing it does highlight is that too much talent is let go at an early stage!

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The big change for Victorian rugby will come when the talented rugby players stop leaving Melbourne when they're 18 or thereabouts to go and look for opportunities to find a professional contract by playing in Sydney or Brisbane.

I think we're already seeing that in Perth where more young talent are coming directly into the Force/Spirit from Perth club rugby compared to Perth players going interstate and then progressing to the professional ranks.

Things should improve significantly in Victoria in the next five years given that is how far behind they are the Force in terms of existence.

The trickle down effect of those players hanging around and improving the standard of the competition is significant in my opinion.

Jimmy C

Allen Oxlade (6)
Great news for the Rebels, for Vic Rugby and importantly for Australian Rugby. The system is starting to work!

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Great atmosphere tonight at AAMI. The crowd is really behind the team, lots of good banter and plenty of passion. My theory is that many of the 2,000-odd who have turned up so far are usually spread out across the ground, but the NRC has allowed all the bolshies from behind the goals to get together.

If you're yet to get down and see a match live I reckon you should do yourself a favour and get into it. Some excellent entertainment on show.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
I'm 90% sure I'll get there for the Vikings game. Frustrated at not being able to get to the first two.

I'll get to the Country game, and both finals too.

FiveStarStu

Bill McLean (32)
Great atmosphere tonight at AAMI. The crowd is really behind the team, lots of good banter and plenty of passion. My theory is that many of the 2,000-odd who have turned up so far are usually spread out across the ground, but the NRC has allowed all the bolshies from behind the goals to get together.

If you're yet to get down and see a match live I reckon you should do yourself a favour and get into it. Some excellent entertainment on show.

It's great fun, a proper community game. It's like everyone knows everyone there.

Highly recommend getting down there for a game. Worth every cent.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
It's great fun, a proper community game. It's like everyone knows everyone there.

Highly recommend getting down there for a game. Worth every cent.

They should do a clubs round, get every club to try fill one bay with their supporters wearing club colors for a round and really get the banter going.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
I love being good at rugby. All Melbourne fans should get along to see a winning team - I figure we just about deserve it at this point.

Did you two hear those two Fijians blokes?
'Melbourneeee!'
'Risinggggggg'

Outstanding stuff.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
It's certainly not something to get up in arms about. It's probably more a call out to the other teams that they need to improve their preparations and start earlier, particularly with the players that are available.

The WA & VIC teams can basically start there teams in Oct / Nov as that is when there Super starts, they then have a whole season playing with each other against Super teams. How do the other teams adjust to that?

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
No offence Dave Beat but it's starting to come across as sour grapes. How about basking in the glow of the Tahs being champs of the real competition, and letting us cellar-dwellers enjoy actually winning a f*cking game or two.

Anyway - the smaller crowd lets the clever buggers in the stand exercise their wit on a grand scale. The two Fijian fellas were classic, as was the comment about the ref wasting our $7.50 with all of the reset scrums.

Great vibe.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The WA & VIC teams can basically start there teams in Oct / Nov as that is when there Super starts, they then have a whole season playing with each other against Super teams. How do the other teams adjust to that?

But they don't. They have Super Rugby teams to run which are really very different teams. There is a different head coach and generally a reasonably different side that is essentially the first team.

Most players across the NRC will be training as part of Super Rugby sides from Oct/Nov because many uncontracted NRC players will be vying for professional contracts by training for free across the Summer trying to win contracts. It isn't really just Melbourne and Perth which have an advantage over everyone else.

All the teams have the same issues where players are involved in club rugby after the Super Rugby season finishes, particularly those players who aren't normally in the matchday 23 during Super Rugby season.

Clearly the Sydney and Brisbane teams assembled later than they otherwise could have. That said, all the Sydney teams didn't start at the same time. Teams need to get their squads together for training whilst club rugby is still going on otherwise they will continue to struggle.

Teams and players need to juggle their involvement in club rugby finals with their NRC preparation. Only beginning to focus on NRC once club rugby is over will surely leave teams struggling regardless of how good their rosters are.

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)
Did I read something that said Telusa Veainu was not signed next season ? After his performance last night Rebels wouldn't want to lose such a talent.

Status
Not open for further replies.