• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Melbourne Rising 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Sorry if I gave that impression.

Its not really an indictment that he's not cracked the Glasgow line up.

Kellock, Gray, Swinson, Ryder and Nakarawa is an immense group, probably the best in the pro 12. Redmayne is also the best lock in Scottish club rugby right now (can't believe I forgot he was assigned to the warriors).

Scottish rugby has 4 zones, Glasgow, Edinburgh, Caledonia and Borders (West, East, North and South respectively) with the Calendonian sides linked to Glasgow and Borders sides linked to the gunners. Except in the case of injury, it's frowned upon by the SRU to take players from clubs outside your zones midseason.

He'd hardly be a bad pick up. While not up to Shute Shield level, it's certainly a much tougher and different competition to Dewar Shield, and he seems to be playing well there.

Sent from my LG-P713 using Tapatalk

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
i assume gus is angus hamilton who played OZ schoolboys a few years ago. might be chasing a scottish future

Fairly sure this guy you speak of trained at my Gym to build up for his stab at the Scottish league. He was helped out by one of the trainers from said Gym who has a connection to Quins. I remember this because the Gym owner was amazed at his height, athleticism and work ethic. Never had the chance to meet him (he trained day, I train night) but he sounded like a beast.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Just On Gus Hamilton again:

Cannae Believe I didn't see this before. Full game of the RBS Cup Final.

Gus Hamilton in 5 for the Hawks. Slight Echoing with the commentators, but otherwise pretty good coverage.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Assuming he intends to play some part of the Harlequins season, coming back mid/late May gives him 4-6 weeks of an off-season, given the final Hawks game was on the 19th in the game I posted above.

If so, It indicates to me that he's simply gone to develop his game, rather than an intention of playing there, and, I feel would be a reasonable pick up for at least the NRC side.

In the end, it's 8 games, he's a Victorian, he's played some rugby at a "higher" level (depends what you want to say. There's no doubt that its better than Dewar Shield, but I've not seen enough Shute Shield to argue the merits there), and he's not be expensive. What's to lose?

T

Train Without a Station

I'd like to think that Ryan O'Sullian, Brenden Westney and Siologa Leota from Melbourne Uni would all be potential players, but realistically, with Fugistaller, Fainga'a, McMahon and Timani all zero chance of making the Wallabies I'd say at best in the case of injury one back rower may get bench time.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Until the Super allocation is revealed, it would be stupid to rule out any player who's performing well at VRU level.

But it would be silly to start talking about players without looking directly at those the Rebels had training with them over the summer.

While there never seemed to be an official list, I grouped together the following from a list of Rebels articles during the preseason. If anyone else knows anything, feel free to contribute.

Martin Naufahu
Tui Tuiatua
Pat Toeta
George Stuart
Moli Sooaemalelagi
Kemu Valetini
Brendan Westney
Tome Blake
Fereti Sa'aga
Joe Kamana
Dale Stevenson

http://www.melbournerebels.com.au/news/article/experienced-locals-impressing-hedger
http://www.melbournerebels.com.au/news/article/schoolboys-making-big-impression-at-rebels
http://melbournerebels.com.au/news/article/moli-impressing-mcgahan-in-tough-pre-season
http://www.melbournerebels.com.au/news/article/kemu-brendan-relishing-opportunity
http://www.melbournerebels.com.au/news/article/schoolboy-tom-making-impression-at-rebels
http://www.melbournerebels.com.au/news/article/rebels-extend-squad

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
Hi Guys is Peter Samu and Reni Molimau playing for clubs in melb and a chance of making this team???
haven't seen either name on any of the team lists published each week, but could have missed molimau.

is samu no longer at Randwick ?

T

Train Without a Station

I'm just walking through Albert park and it's got me wondering, have they looked into the possibility of using lakeside stadium as the venue instead of AAMI park.

Today there is some women's soccer being played there with the gates unmanned. It looks to be the perfect size for a lower tier team with an unknown supporter base.

Depending on availability, surely this would be a much more cost effective location.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
While it's only a little snippet, I thought that this was potentially exciting, Tom Sexton to get a couple of games in before next season:

That's a good thing, a year out of rugby is a long time for someone who has always been on the fringe and not secured a place any where.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
I'm just walking through Albert park and it's got me wondering, have they looked into the possibility of using lakeside stadium as the venue instead of AAMI park.

Today there is some women's soccer being played there with the gates unmanned. It looks to be the perfect size for a lower tier team with an unknown supporter base.

Depending on availability, surely this would be a much more cost effective location.

I actually can't believe they are going to try use AAMI park, the stadium at Albert Park is perfect. After all they hosted the Wallabies v Lions Legends game.

Don't think South Melbourne FC want it used for Rugby though.

T

Train Without a Station

That certainly makes sense.

I can understand AAMI Park if it's the only option but I imagine every team barring the reds would kill for a ground like lakeside stadium to use. Professional standard yet perfect size to avoid over staffing and under filling .

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
That certainly makes sense.

I can understand AAMI Park if it's the only option but I imagine every team barring the reds would kill for a ground like lakeside stadium to use. Professional standard yet perfect size to avoid over staffing and under filling .

Well I assume only one side of Aami park will be open the same way it's set up for the LFL.

I'd even prefer going out to Box Hill to watch them play as long as it's not on a Friday night.

Status
Not open for further replies.