• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Melbourne Rising 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
That's it, I'm going to tell everybody in town willing to listen, that Mitch Inman is playing for Rising, and that Daz told me!

Pillow talk isn't always gospel.

In all seriousness isn't the Rising squad announced today? I would have no issue with any Rebels who have played for a local club in Syd or Bris in the last year or two going home (thus having plenty of couches, or better, to crash on) regardless of if we're looking to develop them of not (Debrez for example).

People like Veinu, Sexton, etc are the ones you need to keep here because they don't have those connections and it's only fair. It's key also to keep guys like Veinu out of the ITM as well, I'm not saying he'll be Speight but Speight wasn't Speight in his first year here as well... SPEIGHT!

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
The Rising Facebook page implied they'd be announcing the squad on Friday, my assumption would be that the 17 blokes who made the cut would be told on Thursday, at the training session.

I would have thought that the 5 blokes who moved here directly from overseas (Sexton, Smith, Lahiff, Fugs and Veinu) would play for the rising, because it wouldn't be fair to ask them to move again. But apparently The Beef is playing for the Eagles, so I wouldn't know.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
The Rising Facebook page implied they'd be announcing the squad on Friday, my assumption would be that the 17 blokes who made the cut would be told on Thursday, at the training session.

I would have thought that the 5 blokes who moved here directly from overseas (Sexton, Smith, Lahiff, Fugs and Veinu) would play for the rising, because it wouldn't be fair to ask them to move again. But apparently The Beef is playing for the Eagles, so I wouldn't know.

Is that where his Dad lives?

T

Train Without a Station

Another 2 great articles on individual players that have been in the initial squad. Great stuff by the Rebels/Rising here:

http://www.melbournerebels.com.au/news/article/ryan-osullivan-enjoying-rising-experience

Melbourne Uni flanker speaks of his journey to the Melbourne Rising Extended Training Squad
There is no substitute for experience and flanker Ryan O'Sullivan has a wealth of it, amassed over twenty years of playing Rugby at home in New Zealand and around the world.
The 27-year-old, who now represents Melbourne University in the #DewarShield, was raised on a farm near Hinds in Canterbury and first played Rugby at the tender age of seven.
"My dad, brother, all my cousins and uncles played Rugby - it is just part of life where I grew up," he said.
After playing throughout school, Ryan continued to combine his studies with his beloved sport and played at the University of Canterbury during his time there.
But it was through representing the New Zealand Universities side in 2008 and 2009 that he came into contact with a variety of new playing styles.
In Ryan's first season with the team they faced their counterparts in the USA, the Collegiate All-Americans, and toured Asia the following year, competing in Malaysia, Hong Kong and Japan.
He said: "I definitely learned a lot from this - they play completely different styles of Rugby in other countries.
"In most of Asia the players are quite small, fast and very fit, whereas over here they tend to be much bigger."
Ryan also represented Mid-Canterbury, the provincial team for his hometown, in the 2012 Heartland Championships.
He added: "It was like the second division of the ITM Cup, which would be the same kind of level as the National Rugby Championship (NRC).
"It was a similar idea in that it was a national tournament with eight to ten teams, so we got to travel around a bit, which was great."
At the start of 2013, Ryan moved to Melbourne and joined the University team where his uncle is the manager.
"My girlfriend and I were living in Christchurch at the time, which was a bit of a mess after the earthquake.
"My sister was living here and said it was a good spot, so she persuaded us to come out.
"I have always played for uni Clubs - I played for one in Perth for a couple of seasons. It's a good atmosphere and there is always a good bunch of guys. Plus, with my uncle as manager, he wouldn't want to see me play anywhere else!
"I really enjoy playing in Melbourne and even with the popularity of AFL there is still a lot of Rugby here. The competition is pretty good, as is the turnout."
The Flanker is now hoping to add another string to his bow by making the final squad for the Melbourne Rising, where he is currently training as a member of the Extended Training Squad ahead of the Buildcorp National Rugby Championship (NRC).
Ryan said: "It's been pretty good so far with the Rising. We had a training run with the Rebels, which was great, but a bit of an eye-opener about the level we need to aim for.
"It's really good to be in the mix - it's always nice to get a bit of recognition and to know I must be doing something right!
"The first goal for me is to make the team and get a run rather than just sitting on the bench. Then I have to make sure I play well so I get selected again."
He is well and truly behind the foundation of the NRC and believes it can only be positive for Rugby in Australia.
"I think it's a really good idea. Getting people playing at a high level is the only way to help them improve," said Ryan.
"You gain a lot when you play people outside of your own region - I have learned that over the years from playing different competitions in different places and seeing very different types of Rugby.
"You tend to live in your own little bubble in Club Rugby, so this is great as it will broaden the playing experience.
"It will give players a reason to come here - from overseas as well - to try and make it at the higher level. They will see the Rising team as their shot to get into Super Rugby. It can only be a positive thing.
"You always want to get to the next level, so if I make the Rising the next level up is Super Rugby, but all I am focusing on for now is just getting better and better."

http://www.melbournerebels.com.au/news/article/from-durban-to-melbourne-greg-bauer

Box Hill hooker talks about his journey to the Melbourne Rising Extended Training Squad
Natural talent, passion and determination to succeed - Greg Bauer has all three in spades.
The 21-year-old South African hooker has been in Australia for just three months, yet has already made his mark playing for Box Hill in the #DewarShield and as a part of the Melbourne Rising Extended Training Squad ahead of the 2014 Buildcorp National Rugby Championship (NRC).
He explained: "I came over to see my mum, who lives in Queensland. Soon after I arrived the Box Hill coach got in touch, we met up and I haven't looked back. I love it here.
"I have fitted really well into the Box Hill family - they have looked after me very well - and we are doing better than last year apparently, so that's good."
The Rugby world could easily have missed out on Greg's talents. As a youngster he was a true all-rounder, playing Squash, Softball, Baseball and Rugby to provincial level and numerous other sports for fun.
His love affair with Rugby began when he joined a Club in his home city of Durban at the age of twelve, before representing his school side for a number of years.
Greg left home to pursue his Rugby career with the Pumas U19 Currie Cup team in 2011, but soon returned after winning a scholarship to the academy at the Super Rugby team he had supported from a young age - the Sharks.
In 2012 he was part of the Sharks' U20 squad and progressed the following year to their Vodacom Cup squad and U21 Currie Cup team.
"It was a very professional setup at the Sharks and they were my team growing up, so it was an honour for me to play there. It is everyone's dream to be able to play for their provincial Club," Bauer said.
"It was unreal, especially learning from Bismarck du Plessis, who was one of the Springboks who came to help train the youngsters. He is one of the best hookers in the world - you can't ask for more than that.
"He is probably my favourite player now, but John Smit was my Rugby idol when I was growing up. When he became CEO of the Sharks I was lucky enough to meet him, and he was a very nice guy, I have a lot of time for him. On the pitch he was a great leader and very versatile."
Versatility is a quality Greg will need off the pitch as well as on it, as he juggles final assignments from his Sports Conditioning diploma in Durban, embarks upon studying Business at Swinburne University of Technology and looks for a job.
But more than anything he is focused on getting the most out of his Australian Rugby experience, both in terms of skills and enjoyment.
He said: "It has been great to see how the game is played differently in different countries. Box Hill plays expansive Rugby, whereas in South Africa it is more about the power of the forwards.
"The setup at the Rising is very professional and I am really excited to be a part of it so far. It is pretty competitive too - the Rising boys are giving it everything.
"Coming from South Africa where Rugby is really big, it's great to see it growing in Melbourne through this program.
"Obviously playing for the Rising would be another level up, which would be great, but for me it's all about just playing Rugby and enjoying it.
"Every game - it doesn't matter who I am playing for - I am just grateful for the chance to be able to pull on a jersey, run around with all the boys and have fun."
While drawing huge enjoyment from playing Rugby, the young front row also has clearly defined short- and long-term ambitions.
Greg added: "I am really enjoying it at the moment, but I am also looking ahead. My goals are to win the Dewar Shield, play in the National Rugby Championship and try to get a contract, or at least train, with the Rebels.
"The main thing I find is to focus on achieving my goals and everything else will follow, and my family and friends are really behind me. I don't mind missing a night out with the boys to wake up early to train or do a recovery session, for example.
"I'm here to keep improving and to achieve bigger things."

T

Train Without a Station

Just speculating but I reckon Jordy Reid and Lopeti Timani may be headed back to Sydney. Taking a punt I reckon they may keep the following 16:

1. Smith
2. Sexton
3. PAE
4. Jeffries
5. Neville
6. Fainga'a
7. Fugistaller
8. McMahon
9. Burgess
10. Hegarty
11. English
12. Inman
13. Ellison
14. Kingston
15. Debrenzci
16. Sexton

Heard that Ah-nau would be staying and wouldn't be surprised if they want to see more of Stirzaker or Meehan.

I'm sure having missed all year they will want Sexton playing and wonder if they will want Laefa playing too.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Just speculating but I reckon Jordy Reid and Lopeti Timani may be headed back to Sydney. Taking a punt I reckon they may keep the following 16:

1. Smith
2. Sexton
3. PAE
4. Jeffries
5. Neville
6. Fainga'a
7. Fugistaller
8. McMahon
9. Burgess
10. Hegarty
11. English
12. Inman
13. Ellison
14. Kingston
15. Debrenzci
16. Sexton

Heard that Ah-nau would be staying and wouldn't be surprised if they want to see more of Stirzaker or Meehan.

I'm sure having missed all year they will want Sexton playing and wonder if they will want Laefa playing too.

Not a bad line-up, only one probem is that Jordy, Fugs and Colby just had shoulder work done. Don't think they will be seeing any NRC time, sadly :(

I wondered in Tamati might have had another stint in Japan, similar to last year. Would like to see Max Lahiff get some more game time.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
You Shute Shield clubs need to learn if you want talent, you need to pay it.

Very shallow comment there, it should be about Australian Rugby. TWAS your reasoning on this topic has far more cred than that one liner.

Please just remember that Australian Rugby played a huge part in getting the rebels off and running and it is Australian Rugby that maybe providing considerable the financial support to the rebels so the rebels can "pay it".

I'm sure the Rays aren't getting the same support from the Tahs that the Rising are getting from the Rebels.

T

Train Without a Station

Dave, that's because the Rays (not specifically the Rays, but Sydney clubs) want to be in charge. That was the complaint about the ARC. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

Let's remember the ARU also pay grants to Shute Shield Clubs. What Shute Shield clubs do not do, is provide a new market and new product for the current TV rights deal which is $25M a year. Essentially each region is contributing $5M to that deal. You could argue that based on current viewers, NSW and QLD contribute more. That would be wrong though, as it's not based on a per viewer basis. Factors like the size of the market and potential growth are considered into this and this is areas where Melbourne and Perth offer an upside. Also if growing subscriptions in these regions is a priority, Foxtel will want the product for those areas.

This is also an investment in the future by the ARU. Growing the game in Victoria leads to a foothold in the second biggest market in Australia. What also needs to be considered is that the game is a subscription TV game. What state has the lowest subscription base that Foxtel are trying to grow? Victoria.

The ARU aren't doing this out of charity, they are doing it for their future investment, which funnily enough, will benefit all.

But I stand by my comment, that if the Shute Shield Clubs want rights to players who may have played for them a couple of years ago over the Rebels, then they should pay them to be full time professionals as the Rebels do.

I made the comment on Jack D-how the fuck to you spell it. The Rams are claiming he should play for them. Now based on the information I can find, he played Shute Shield in 2013. He played for Trinity Grammar and Australian Schoolboys in 2011. I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt and say he played Colts with the Pirates in 2012 even though I can't find any evidence of this. Now people are saying he "belongs" playing for the Rams because he spent a year in colts and a year in grade there? Seriously, get fucked. That's not developing talent, that's capitalising on existing, identified talent coming out of the schoolboy system.

Now this is not always the case, and players like Caydern Neville for example have been pretty much solely developed by Shute Shield clubs.

But just because a bloke has played at one, doesn't mean he was developed by them. For every Caydern, there's a Jack.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
To much reading, I referenced your one liner which could piss people off because it is allot more than that.

I made reference to your reasoning because you have justification behind your thoughts which we dont have to agree with. I also used the words Australian Rugby because it should be about that - that is something we both agree on

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
How is it not good for Australian Rugby to have a young Super Rugby player gaining more experience with his franchise's NRC team?

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
How is it not good for Australian Rugby to have a young Super Rugby player gaining more experience with his franchise's NRC team?

I'm going to wait and see before i pass to much more comment. It needs to be built with valuable contributions rather than critical slander.
TWAS one liner came across as the latter, but i know his contributions are valuable and that is why i posted.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think his comment was fair. West Harbour and the Rams realistically have no better claim on Jack Debreczeni than say the Old Trinitarians Rugby team saying he should be playing subbies for them outside of the Super Rugby season.

T

Train Without a Station

I just don't understand how any team has a claim to players in perpetuity in fact.

A player registers with a club, and is bound to them for that season pending a release/transfer. Some may have signed contracts potentially, but also these would generally be signed on the proviso that a higher level contract would supersede it.

Legally no claim has any claim to a play that has not registered with them at the start of a season generally.

Now perhaps some of these players have emotional ties to these clubs and therefore may prefer to play for their NRC teams. But as they are contracted on a 12 month basis to a Super Rugby franchise, this is really at the franchises discretion. Legally, playing in the NRC is work in the case of a Super Rugby contracted player. I would prefer to work at home. My employer would prefer I work in the office. We compromise, and I work in the office. As my employer pays my salary, I follow their directions. Much like I would expect that in the NRC case, the Rebels choose who they want to retain for the Rising (Let's remember, this looks to actually benefit other teams more - The Rebels are more concerned with The Rebels and therefore are using Rising as a development tool allegedly letting players like Weeks go, to give PAE more game time), not be left with whichever players want to remain.

As I have noted previously, if players are not comfortable with this, they should not sign a Rebels contract, stay working as a labourer, for their parents, or whatever they were doing and they are free to play club rugby for whoever they want and represent whoever they want in the NRC.

In order to even the playing field, limitations have been set on the amount of players that can be used by an NRC team. Players beyond this 16 man nomination limit are seemingly free to choose where they go, within the 16 man limits of other teams.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)

1. Smith
2. Sexton
3. PAE
4. Jeffries
5. Neville
6. Fainga'a
7. Fugistaller
8. McMahon
9. Burgess
10. Hegarty
11. English
12. Inman
13. Ellison
14. Kingston
15. Debrenzci
16. Sexton

TWAS

fuglistaller definitely needs a rest/surgery, mcmahon may still be with the sevens squad, doubt ellison will play (still contracted in Japan?) and could do with a rest, kingston still injured ?, think they will do better playing stirzaker and meehan rather than burgess. reid is apparently having shoulder surgery also.

anyway we will find out in a couple of days

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
You'd figure Burgess will be in the initial Bledisloe squad announced tomorrow given that Genia is unavailable at the start of the series.

T

Train Without a Station

Yeah good point. I only thought they may keep him because they would likely want one or two senior players. If he makes the Wallaby squad hopefully they make him a Wallaby ambassador also. What else would happen? Stars have Phipps and Burgess?

Status
Not open for further replies.