• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Melbourne Rising 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

daz

Okie dokie, time to bump this for the Victorian chapter of GAGR folk.

I can tell you Zane Hilton will be HC, with Craig McGrath as assistant.

What will the team look like? Who from the Rebels needs to play, and which local lad deserves a shot?

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
We need whomever is staying to be playing.

No offense to the Shield boys meant, but we were very very poor this year, and we need to maximize the opportunities for those staying, particularly if the hope of 5 teams remains alive.

For mine that currently looks something like:

Hookers

Hanson
Uelese
Leafa or Siliva

Props

Sa'aga
Weeks
Lomax
Ah-Nau
At least one of Moloney and Metcher

Locks
Cummins
Jeffries
Toolis
Douglas
Ha'angana

Backrow
Timani
Leota
Fainga'a
Reid
Tupai
Maybe Fox

Scrum Halfs
Stirzaker
Goddard
Maybe Snowden

Fly Halfs
JGB
McGregor
Volavola if he re-signs and/or doesn't play for the Warriors

Centers
Hodge
Sefa
Engo
Tuipulotu
Maybe Horwitz if he wants to come

Back 3
Koroibete
Tupou
Maddocks
Tumualealiifano

Players who miss out due to injury and/or Wallabies selection should then be replaced by a combination of youngsters, locals and if we're genuinely interested in signing them, blokes like Miller and Sinclair.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
We need whomever is staying to be playing.

No offense to the Shield boys meant, but we were very very poor this year, and we need to maximize the opportunities for those staying, particularly if the hope of 5 teams remains alive.

For mine that currently looks something like:

Hookers

Hanson
Uelese
Leafa or Siliva

Props

Sa'aga
Weeks
Lomax
Ah-Nau
At least one of Moloney and Metcher

Locks
Cummins
Jeffries
Toolis
Douglas
Ha'angana

Backrow
Timani
Leota
Fainga'a
Reid
Tupai
Maybe Fox

Scrum Halfs
Stirzaker
Goddard
Maybe Snowden

Fly Halfs
JGB
McGregor
Volavola if he re-signs and/or doesn't play for the Warriors

Centers
Hodge
Sefa
Engo
Tuipulotu
Maybe Horwitz if he wants to come

Back 3
Koroibete
Tupou
Maddocks
Tumualealiifano

Players who miss out due to injury and/or Wallabies selection should then be replaced by a combination of youngsters, locals and if we're genuinely interested in signing them, blokes like Miller and Sinclair.

And from the Shield, anyone from Quins. What? C'mon!

D

daz

I liked both Miller and Sinclair. I liked the enthusiasm and the "oomph" they brought to the team. In think it would be a travesty if we didn't give them a real shot (possibly via the Rising) to get on the Rebels books in 2018.

I tend to agree with your assessment; the Rising must be 80% Rebels and 20% local product/potential Rebels. If any team in history has showed they need as much game-time and fitness that can be thrown at them, it was the Rebels circa 2017.

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
2017 Melbourne Rising Fixture

Rd 1. Sun 3 Sep, Perth Spirit v Melbourne Rising, McGilvray, 5.00pm (AEST)

Rd 2. Sat 9 Sep, Melbourne Rising v Fiji, Harlequins, 3.00pm (AEST)

Rd 3. Sat 16 Sep, Sydney Rays v Melbourne Rising, Pittwater, 1.00pm (AEST)

Rd 4. Sun 24 Sep, Melbourne Rising v Greater Sydney Rams, Harlequins, 3.00pm (AEST)

Rd 5. Sat 30 Sep, Queensland Country v Melbourne Rising, Bond University, 3.00pm (AEST)

Rd 6. Sun 8 Oct, Melbourne Rising v Canberra Vikings, Frankston, 1.00pm (AEST)

Rd 7. Sun 15 Oct, Brisbane City v Melbourne Rising, Wests, 1.00pm (AEST)

Rd 8. Sun 22 Oct, Melbourne Rising v NSW Country Eagles, Harlequins, 1.00pm (AEST)

Rd 9. BYE

T

TOCC

Surely it would be in the best interest of the Rebels and Australian Rugby for the Rising to loan one of their hookers to a Sydney team

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Can't imagine the Rebels management would want Chibba and Uelese anywhere but here.

T

TOCC

take your pick..

Obviously the Rebels would want to directly oversee the development of Uelese, and Hanson is a mainstay... So choose between Leafa and Siliva, they get no development benefit by sitting on the sidelines..

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
https://melbournerebels.com/2017/08/08/rising-name-extended-training-squad/

Local training squad named. Not gonna list it because it's 46 men strong, as they're also using it as an opportunity to select the Axemen squad.

No surprise that it is Quins dominated. I can only assume that having any sort of Rebels contract (including Injury cover or Development squad) rules you out of being considered a club player, as I'd have expected guys like Douglas, Ha'angana, Tupai and Tumualealiifano to be named in this section of the squad otherwise.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
https://melbournerebels.com/2017/08/08/rising-name-extended-training-squad/

Local training squad named. Not gonna list it because it's 46 men strong, as they're also using it as an opportunity to select the Axemen squad.

No surprise that it is Quins dominated. I can only assume that having any sort of Rebels contract (including Injury cover or Development squad) rules you out of being considered a club player, as I'd have expected guys like Douglas, Ha'angana, Tupai and Tumualealiifano to be named in this section of the squad otherwise.

Douglas is playing for Northland in NZ and you'd say they'd consider Haangana/Tumualealiifano contracted, as well as Pote Tupai.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Douglas is playing for Northland in NZ and you'd say they'd consider Haangana/Tumualealiifano contracted, as well as Pote Tupai.
That's interesting, hadn't heard that. Obviously don't hang around the right circles apart from here.

T

TOCC

Quite a few Fijian's coming through the Island Breeze Rugby Plus program which brought Naiavalu to Australia: Ukalele, Rate, Moto, Baleilovu, Nairavu and Nabolakasi.

Then there's also Serupepli Uru, the giant U20s lock.

Status
Not open for further replies.