• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Melbourne Rising 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
If Stirzy won't be starting for the Rebels next year, then it kind of makes sense... Sure it would have been Colby if he had been fit

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Watched some of the highlights earlier and boy did Koroibete seem to have some wheels. I hadn't noticed it so much at Super level but he seriously put the foot down for that first try of his. He'll be a real asset for the Rising particularly late in the game when some of the younger/club level players who may not do as much conditioning work as the regular Super players begin to tire.

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
I am thinking of going tomorrow, a few questions. How much does it cost to get in? What's the parking like at Quinn's? Can you bring your dog in with you to sit on the grass?

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
I am thinking of going tomorrow, a few questions. How much does it cost to get in? What's the parking like at Quinn's? Can you bring your dog in with you to sit on the grass?
In order:

Free entry

Parking is abysmal, it's more or less all street, and they're narrow enough that you can only do so on one side.

Dog gets in NP

Additional info: Ashwood is a crap ground to watch Rugby at. Be well aware.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

D

daz

Well, all things considered, the Rising have capped off a very poor NRC season, mirroring the senior team. 1 win in 8 games, and not even looking like being semi-competitive in most of those losses. Zane Hilton has not covered himself in glory over several seasons as HC.

Having had a chat to various people, the gambit of blooding some youngsters for the future was good in intent, but woeful in timing.

The Rebels had a terrible year, but supporter engagement is critical for success. We can't have both the Rebels AND the Rising play out wooden spoon seasons, back to back. While I don't really give a flying fart about what others think, the fact of life is that in pro sports, perception is reality. And the reality is, there is a general perception that Vic rugby is a pile of steaming shite.

Based on the results for both pro teams, and W/L ratio alone, its hard to argue otherwise.

I'm sure things will be different in 2018 for the Rebels, but we have to decide if we are in the NRC to have a competitive crack, or to simply give Rebels selectors a look at youngsters.

If it is both, then the balance needs to be shifted.

Either way, much like the Wallaby Scrum in recent years, the Rebels and the Rising need to lift the profile and start smashing perceptions.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
Well, all things considered, the Rising have capped off a very poor NRC season, mirroring the senior team. 1 win in 8 games, and not even looking like being semi-competitive in most of those losses. Zane Hilton has not covered himself in glory over several seasons as HC.

Having had a chat to various people, the gambit of blooding some youngsters for the future was good in intent, but woeful in timing.

The Rebels had a terrible year, but supporter engagement is critical for success. We can't have both the Rebels AND the Rising play out wooden spoon seasons, back to back. While I don't really give a flying fart about what others think, the fact of life is that in pro sports, perception is reality. And the reality is, there is a general perception that Vic rugby is a pile of steaming shite.

Based on the results for both pro teams, and W/L ratio alone, its hard to argue otherwise.

I'm sure things will be different in 2018 for the Rebels, but we have to decide if we are in the NRC to have a competitive crack, or to simply give Rebels selectors a look at youngsters.

If it is both, then the balance needs to be shifted.

Either way, much like the Wallaby Scrum in recent years, the Rebels and the Rising need to lift the profile and start smashing perceptions.
yes it was an interesting approach. the Rebels/Rising management clearly decided on the lets look at prospects approach. the backline youngsters performed admirably but the forwards got towled up in the games i saw. clearly there were a number of Rebels who needed rest and repair and a number who have/were moving on. Would have been different if Smith, Hanson, Lomax, Weeks, (Cummins more than a couple of games) , Fainga'a, Reid, English had been available and played. However, overall as an experiment i think it was useful. the backline tyros have shown they are all probably up to super rugby eventually and some, Maddocks, Tuipoltu, Semisi are ready now. Leota, Meafa and Tupai in the forwards all show promise as well. but a win every now and then is nice.

T

TOCC

Prioritising development of youngsters doesn't have to come at the expense of winning games, Rising looked poorly coached and the senior players in the team didn't lead by example or provide effective leadership. Blokes like Maddocks looked to be the only one who actually cared at different points in the matches. I'd be surprised if the Rising team had an average age that was much younger then the likes of Queensland Country

Status
Not open for further replies.