• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Melbourne Rugby Pubs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
To follow up on the Sydney version of this - Pubs in Melbourne dedicated to rugby.
Brunswick/East Brunswick - East Brunswick club is showing every single rugby world cup game. they have two dedicated big screen tvs

anyone else know of others post them up.

cheezel

Bill Watson (15)
The London Tavern on Lennox Street in Richmond was pretty good for the Bledisloe. Massive screens but a whole lot of kiwis

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Voting closes the night before the first game so we all know where we are meeting, interstate fans planning on coming to Melbourne your more than welcome to vote.

Most happy with Turf bar afterwards, more than happy to make it pre and post if people want to keep things simple.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Good job KevinO, keep it simple and clear!

It should probably be noted that the Turf is an excellent post-game venue (not only because of their generous support of the club ;)).

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
should also consider the Botanical in Domain Rd.
closer than all the city pubs and just a 10 min down hill stroll to the bubble dome. probably about same distance as the post office.
also a supporter of the club.
plenty of parking nearby and on a tram line.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
should also consider the Botanical in Domain Rd.
closer than all the city pubs and just a 10 min down hill stroll to the bubble dome. probably about same distance as the post office.
also a supporter of the club.
plenty of parking nearby and on a tram line.

To far from a train station was why I left it off, time is precious when you are rushing to get a few pints in after work before the match.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Sticking to the criteria as a 'pre game pint pub' i think the list is a good selection. Nice one KevinO.

Post game it's really a free-for-all. Don't care where, long it's cold and wet. Turf or the Botang support the club and it's always nice to repay the faith. You are also respected when you wear your club colors in there, unlike a certain Richmond pub.

Chiefton

Herbert Moran (7)
I hope you don't mind me throwing my 2 cents in, but the London Tavern on Lennox St (just off Swan St) with it's large outdoor courtyard and it's on par menu could be a reasonable starting point for you lads.

For me as a resident in Melbourne's inner suburbs it's where my Rebels mates and I kick off most match days.

Reactions: Tex

Baldric

Jim Clark (26)
I hope you don't mind me throwing my 2 cents in, but the London Tavern on Lennox St (just off Swan St) with it's large outdoor courtyard and it's on par menu could be a reasonable starting point for you lads.
Furious agreement Chief. Great outdoor area and if there is no AFL on it is not crowded. Good food too.

AFL_Converted

Billy Sheehan (19)
Have always liked the precinct myself. Special mention for London tavern but I find that one a bit distant. I like to drink up to as close to start time as possible to put a buffer up against the rubbish they serve in ground up on a Friday night.

Anywhere that serves fat yak and close to Richo station would do though.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Guess the question becomes: do we crash that event or stick with our own pick? Guess this will only be a choice for round one, after that it wont matter.

chequebalance

Bill Watson (15)
Hey guys moved to Melbourne early last year and I am really missing my rugby. Do you guys do this for every game? Don't think i can make the 1st game as I am away but would be keen to tag along to others!

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Hey guys moved to Melbourne early last year and I am really missing my rugby. Do you guys do this for every game? Don't think i can make the 1st game as I am away but would be keen to tag along to others!

Welcome to Melbourne, the sporting capital of Australia :)

We are trying to establish a regular watering hole prior to each match, hence feel free to vote. It's just a chance for like-minded Rugby fans to get together, share a pint, grab some grub prior to walking down to AAMI.

The pubs in the list above were picked because of their proximity to AAMI park and to Richmond train station. Think of it as the equivalent walk from a Caxton Street pub to Suncorp. Most people will have their favorite drinking hole, but they probably didn't make the list due to the factors listed above.

After the match I think the general consensus is to drink at one of the sponsor Pubs, such as a the Turf Bar.

chequebalance

Bill Watson (15)
Hahaha thank you. I work in a pub that currently only shows rugby when I am on, so i do struggle to find someone to talk to down here about the game! Yep no where a few of those pubs are and have been to the turf bar to watch a few matches so will put my vote there. Hope to meet a few of you guys during the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.