• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Melbourne Victory part of New Super Franchise???

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkhorse

Darby Loudon (17)
An Article in the Australian today revealed that Melbourne Victory as in from the A-League, or at least its owners, are the undisclosed second party in the running for the new super franchise.

More importantly, the licences of all current super 14 franchises will expire at the end of this year when the broadcast agreement runs out. Allowing the ARU to reallocate the licences to private equity, if the state idiots continue to dick around. Perhaps the sudden interest from the Gold Coast and Western Sydney is a prelude to a reallocation of licences.

What are your thoughts?

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,25757974-2722,00.html

R

rugbywhisperer

While there is a growing chorus for the Reds to be divorced from the QRU, I think that any mention to relocate to the coast would be tantamount to declaring civil war, the Brisbane rugby hierarchy already has 'thing' for the coast and any further exacerbation of that would cause great civil unrest, bordering on open warfare. The UN would have to be called in to keep the peace.

H

Harfish

I still have my blue helmet from Bosnia. If the Gold Coast Reds become a reality, should I wear it to a game? My parents have a holiday home on the Gold Coast.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
relocations wont happen, the equity in the brands themselves is to high to move them around. its not worth it.
the melbourne victory are very well run, could be a good idea, i wonder if they are planning on sharing a name and branding?

Epi

Dave Cowper (27)
waratahjesus said:
relocations wont happen, the equity in the brands themselves is to high to move them around. its not worth it.
the melbourne victory are very well run, could be a good idea, i wonder if they are planning on sharing a name and branding?

Why not. European footballs teams do it so why not?

Plus I'm a Victory supporter - may be able to get two memberships for the price of one.. :thumb

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
cos in europe as in america, they have citys of large populations every hundread miles, we dont, the teams have to go in high populated areas. if you moved a team from brisbane, chances are most of the people wouldnt go to games anymore, the gold coast isnt going to get the same numbers.

same with sydney, moving to parramatta wont do crap. the only team that wouldnt be affected by it is the force, as there new, not cos im knocking them. but the brand is still young enough to start again.

louie

Desmond Connor (43)
waratahjesus said:
same with sydney, moving to parramatta wont do crap. the only team that wouldnt be affected by it is the force, as there new, not cos im knocking them. but the brand is still young enough to start again.

personally i like the force. i think there have been some birthing problems but overall i think it's a great thing. good crowds and good rugby coming out of the west. keep it going

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
the force will do well long term, i think the term "cowboys" has been an understatement to how they have been run so far though. i only say they can be moved based on the fact they have only been around a few years, getting a name and team out there in sydney or brisbane is an extremely hard thing to do. so much competition, its a shame the force are moving to a small ground, i think it will limit the number of people who can actually see the team and get invovled with rugby.

Epi

Dave Cowper (27)
waratahjesus said:
cos in europe as in america, they have citys of large populations every hundread miles, we dont, the teams have to go in high populated areas. if you moved a team from brisbane, chances are most of the people wouldnt go to games anymore, the gold coast isnt going to get the same numbers.

You misunderstood. I mean that European football teams have teams in other sports and competitions. FC Barcelona have a basketball team called FC Barcelona Basquet and a handball team called FC Barcelona Handbol for example...

No reason Melbourne Victory can't have a rugby team as well and call it Melbourne Victory Rugby. They'd be able to share facilities, and attract fans who aren't into obscure local sports like AFL and rugby league... ;)

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
waratahjesus said:
if you moved a team from brisbane, chances are most of the people wouldnt go to games anymore, the gold coast isnt going to get the same numbers.
I don't think they'd have many troubles matching the Reds crowds elsewhere, how hard can it be to dig up 500 spectators?

G

Good Foot

Does anyone more in the know than myself think multiple bids from Melbourne will make it harder for them to receive the 15th team? Personally, I think the next team should be located there and think it will be successful down the road (past the expected initial problems in player recruitment). Certainly I think it can only be a good sign that the soccer team believes it is a good idea to push this bid (unless they're a mole trying to take down rugby from the inside ;)), indicating multiple groups think it will be a success- but do you think this will work against both bids in their attempts to get the team? i.e., a squabble leading to another location getting the bid instead.

F

formeropenside

Go Samoa - it would be great to see a PI side return to Super rugby.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Re: Melbourne Victory part of New Super Franchise?

Handsoff7! said:
Does anyone more in the know than myself think multiple bids from Melbourne will make it harder for them to receive the 15th team?

The smart thing for the ARU to do would be to decide which Australian bid goes on to be considered by SANZAR; that way our intended recipient isn't distracted by courting NZ or SAf over the ARU delegates. Personally, I think it should be Melbourne and I hope they have the brains to set up a stand alone Melbourne Mudlarks board which has sufficient capital to ensure a successful business. But it's imperative the team stay in public ownership and be owned by the VRU. I sincerely hope we don't get seduced by the short termism of private ownership and its subsequent shitfights over player availability.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
think the scheduling of the super 14 will take away any club v country commitments wouldnt it?

dont think aus rugby will ever get to a stage were a club holds a player back.

cant find the article but will try to get it up later, apparently other states arnt happy that the victory is bidding as all the license agreements are up next year so private owners could buy out anyone or outbid teams, the local unions are getting ready for a shitfight!

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
This one is really going to test JON. It's an issue that will make or break his 2nd administration. If Melbourne gets up, it's a feather in his cap. If SANZAR (esp NZ) get the shits with our handling of it, he should lose his job.

Status
Not open for further replies.