• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Michael Lynagh's Australia XV (pro era)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
Michael Lynagh's Australia XV:
15. Israel Folau, 14. Lote Tuqiri, 13. Stirling Mortlock, 12. Tim Horan, 11. Joe Roff, 10. Stephen Larkham, 9. George Gregan, 8. Toutai Kefu, 7. George Smith, 6. David Pocock, 5. John Eales, 4. Nathan Sharpe, 3. Patricio Noriega, 2. Stephen Moore, 1. Sekope Kepu.

dunno about you but i'd be tempted to go Mat Rogers ahead of Tuqiri. Seem to recall he was a real pest vs the AB's. Maybe even go Wendell Sailor ahead of Tuqiri too.

Vickerman surely over Nathan Sharpe too

I'd also have Chris Latham ahead of Folau at fullback every day and twice on Sunday

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Tuqiri definitely ended up being the better of the 3........ but I’d be tempted to put AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) on that wing.

Also, agreed that Burke or Latham > Folau.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Agree entirely on Latho over Folau. I also think there are better options at wing than Tuquiri. Maybe Ben Tune or Rathbone.

Great player he is, but I think Poey would miss out on the 6 spot to a true No 6, like Fardy of Melon.

In what world would you play Kepu at LHP? At his best, he is an option for THP, but certainly not in the No 1 jersey. And I think I could find a better hooker than Squeaky as well, although again at his best he was pretty bloody good. I really have a soft spot for Jeremy Paul though.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
Agree entirely on Latho over Folau. .

wonder if Lynagh thought oh shit I've named an all-old-codger backline, better shoehorn one current player in or eyebrows will be raised.

vs AB's, my winger's I'd least like to see picked would be:

1 Roff
2 Rogers
3 Wendy
4 Tuqiri
5 AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)

Tune/Rathbone, solid, but strike no fear whatsoever

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
dunno about you but i'd be tempted to go Mat Rogers ahead of Tuqiri. Seem to recall he was a real pest vs the AB's. Maybe even go Wendell Sailor ahead of Tuqiri too.

I'd also have Chris Latham ahead of Folau at fullback every day and twice on Sunday
Why would he pick Kepu on the wrong side of the scrum there gotta be better props out there that play lose head prop

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

Fake news, no one would seriously pick two 7s in the backrow

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Michael Lynagh's Australia XV:
15. Israel Folau, 14. Lote Tuqiri, 13. Stirling Mortlock, 12. Tim Horan, 11. Joe Roff, 10. Stephen Larkham, 9. George Gregan, 8. Toutai Kefu, 7. George Smith, 6. David Pocock, 5. John Eales, 4. Nathan Sharpe, 3. Patricio Noriega, 2. Stephen Moore, 1. Sekope Kepu.

I would not have Folau at 15, he has vital parts of his game missing that are required to be worthy of a spot in this type of team. He cant kick or pass both ways. I would have Latham at 15.

I am not a fan of both Smith and Pocock being in the team, pick a player in their position and if they are only second best then they go to the bench. I would have Pocock at 7 and Smith on the bench.

At 6 I have always been a fan of Owen Finnegan, there are others probably more suited but he is my pick and I would probably look at putting the (c) next to him too.

I dont really like the front row, I dont have any problems with any of them being picked as they are deserving of their position but it is just personal preferences.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Very Reds-centric Reg. What, 8 or 9 out of the 15?

I personally wouldn't have Cockbain, Sharpe or Foley in this side. In their places, I think should be Finegan (one "n"), Vickerman and either Moore or Paul. Finegan seemed to have more impact as a player than Cockbain. I was never a fan of Sharpie. Just a one trick lock - good at lineout but almost nil presence around the ground (sounds like someone else in the current Wallabies). Foley became a better coach than he was a player (ie forwards coach, not head coach); not as good as Squeaky or JP at their best.

Interesting that you've gone with Will over Gregan. I still remember the game where Will completely overshadowed George which to my mind kick started Will's career. Still a very big call.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
My pro era Wallabies would be

15 Burke (Tahs)
14 Tune (Reds)
13 Mortlock (Brums)
12 Horan (Reds)
11 Adam Ashley-Cooper (Tahs)
10 Larkham (Brums)
9 Genia (Rebels)
8 Kefu (Reds)
7 Smith (Brums)
6 Cockbain (Reds)
5 Eales (Reds)
4 Sharpe (Force)
3 Kepu (Tahs)
2 Foley (Tahs)
1 Slipper (Reds)

I didn’t even consider who they played for. Just who I thought was best for the wallabies.

Looking at it now I just see 6 Reds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.