• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Mining and the Media

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
We've talked before about GetUp and what I regard as the valuable job they do in putting forward alternative views or airing issues which wouldn't otherwise be aired. Many didn't appreciate their value. We've also talked about the value of a serious free press. Finally, we've talked about the mining advertising campaign surrounding the mining super profits tax. Well here is something to tie those three things in together.

I regard this as a sinister development.

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Rinehart's just bought a chunk of Fairfax and there is talk of her getting a position on the board.

bryce

Darby Loudon (17)
It's a worry. Rinehart did the same thing with Channel Ten and soon afterwards Andrew Bolt got his own show.

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
It's the old story money talks...

Yes, through the advertising and the shock jocks (who we know are for sale). But traditional print journalism is supposed to be independent and to hold government, and, increasingly with their influence growing, corporations, accountable. Of course we know that Rupert runs his own agenda. Fairfax has been a counter to that, to some degree. That is clearly going to change.

The ABC is the ultimate independent media though. It will seem increasingly left wing if the extreme right controls all of the media.

Bruwheresmycar

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Insanely rich people discussing the best angles to trick the public into supporting their selfish, self-wealth driven agenda? What a surprise...

Thanks for posting though. People should be made aware that (some of) those trying to take over media in this country think fox news is "fair and balanced" LOL. The future doesn't look too bright.

But who am I to talk. If the mining companies think our media needs to be more like the american fox news, it must be a good thing!

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Not that it's directly related but the Globl Mail launched today. Apparently a new and independent outlet in Aus apparently funded by an anonymous benefactor.

Haven't had a chance to read any stories yet but thought I'd mention it was out there - theglobalmail.org and theyre on twitter as well

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
I don't have a problem with this - surely people who can afford media, owning media, and then dictating editorial content on their media would be their right in a democracy? If others choose to watch and be influenced by it, that's their choice too.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Yeah I am with Moses here.

If they want to put millions of their own dollars into a new TV station then more power to them. It's their money and they can do what they want with it. And if they want to make it a right-wing Bolt-fest then that's OK as well. Much like a left-leaning billionaire making his TV station all about Robert Manne or Marieke Hardy.

The assumption they are making is that this network will take off like Fox News in the US (even though Fox News has a pretty miniscule share of viewers in the States). I don't think the partisan cable news culture will necessarily fit with Australian viewers.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
The assumption they are making is that this network will take off like Fox News in the US (even though Fox News has a pretty miniscule share of viewers in the States).
If a right wing channel were to be popular, then perhaps it is showing what it's viewers want to see. Perhaps those people are in fact right wing!

Just because others are not leaning the same way doesn't make it wrong.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
The problem with Fox News isn't that it is right wing, but that it repeatedly fails any test of journalistic integrity in the way it represents the news. It systematically distorts the truth to suit its own ends.

There is nothing wrong with right-leaning networks per se, as long as they distinguish between opinion and facts. This line is very blurry on Fox News.

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
I think that the line between opinion and fact is blurry in all media outlets, over particcular issues or particular times.

My principle - Read, view, hear everything with a tonne of salt and just because it is on a media out let (be it radio, tv, print or internet) doesn't make it true or right. Extra players in the media just make more shit to sift through.

Just imagine where we would be if we believed everything that we read on GAGR. ;)

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I agree with Moses and BaaBaa in that it is their right to do so, if they want to. It is naive to think it would be "news" and not opinion, though. Why do it otherwise? That discussion to me sounds more like plotting a distorted view of the truth, which I find a bit off. What really bothers me is that that super-twat (IMO) Monckton is involved.

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
this isnt exactly new: Frank Packer and RC before him loved using their papers to control politics and swing the public to their preferred government. Nothing has changed - that's one of the advantages to being very rich I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.