• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Motorcycles - Bikes and Riders

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
As much as I think it's great that a bunch of you guys are committed athletes and like to use your own steam to push your bikes around, is there anyone who likes to use fossil fuel instead?

To kick things off I've been riding for a bit over three and a half years pretty much every day. I've got a Ducati Monster 600 that i commute and do the Old Highway north of Syd on but I'm looking to upgrade at some stage this year (probably a pipedream). It's definitely not perfect but I love the girl, and she sounds great! Do you guys ride off road/tour/scratch/trackday?

Not my bike but same colour and model....

1.jpg

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
I rode a Suzuki Across 250 for 6 months in Brisbane, was a great bike with the fuel tank under the seat there was enough room in the boot for a helmet.

When I moved back to NSW and changed my license over I didn't realise motorbike Ls expire down here, so haven't done anything for a few years as I have to do the intro to riding course again. I'm booked in this weekend though, might go for my Ps straight after and then look for a decent 600

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
I grew up on a farm riding motorbikes and as such don't really see much pleasure in riding, I think I associate it too much with work. I'd much rather drive a nice car... plus there's no room to store my cricket kit. As for riding a bicycle I just don't get it... really I don't... sorry guys.

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Where are you doing your course? I've been to HART at St Ives for all mine and those guys were great. Most of my mates have been to Clyde and apparently they're not exactly flash there (and you're stuck under an overpass all day).

Let me know if you want to buy a Monster around the middle of the year tho!

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
I'm going to St Ives, and that Ducati looks awesome! What's one of them go for?

S

spooony

Grizzly 660 4x4 Difflock from 2004
ATV_000.jpg

ATV_003.jpg

ATV_002.jpg

This is my 5yr old after his first Bike. He was 3 or 4yrs old here. Just after we bought it he decided to drive out of the mall with it and it went and parked it next to another motorcycle
09032010.jpg

My sisters husband living in Namibia bought this 1200 recently to go motor out against the dunes
2000vornrechts_big.jpg

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Thanks, I reckon it'd be anywhere between 5 and 7k, although I haven't looked on bikesales in a while.

@Spoony Yammy looks good, you can ride a quad on the road in SA? Not sure if it qualifies as a bike due to number of wheels tho ;)

S

spooony

Thanks, I reckon it'd be anywhere between 5 and 7k, although I haven't looked on bikesales in a while.

@Spoony Yammy looks good, you can ride a quad on the road in SA? Not sure if it qualifies as a bike due to number of wheels tho ;)
No not actually but we take it when we go camping at Hermanus or go to Namibia and nail the dunes with it. It got lights so it can driven on the road if you get a 3rd party for it. Sometimes we try the side of Tafelberg buut you need a 175 or around there to get it on top of Tafelberg as the bigger bikes will cut out.

I got a Dt 175 Yammie as well but I smashed a Landrover with it lol So it busy getting fixed up

And yes it is a bike. Why do I need a bike license to drive it then?

Karl

Bill McLean (32)
I had an 03 HD V-Rod from 03 to 2010. Loved that bike. It was converted to business venture capital about 2 years ago.

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
That Beemer is awesome!

Nice that we've got a bit of an eclectic collection already. I have a Yamaha XT225 in my parents shed that I learnt to ride on - have been keeping it in the hope of doing some proper off roading but still haven't gotten around to it as all my mates have road bikes anyway.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
GPX250R Kawasaki. Have car licence but only have the bike. Love it, even if it does get a tad suicidal in very windy conditions.

The attached file is a pic of what my bike model is, including the colours but not my actual bike (which reminds me I have never taken a photo of my bike in years so should do it).

I'm on my green P's, had to renew my L's twice. The MOST test here in NSW was harder than the driving test using a manual. I had to wait through 7-8 people passing their test before I did it last, nerve wrecking.

If I had the money I'd upgrade my road Kawasaki to one with bigger cc's & have an offroad bike like the adventure ones they have on the Dakar rally (BMW or KTW for mine).

The furthest I've travelled is from Newcastle to CC & back (which was for my MOST test). I am intending to travel further. My mate who I play against has a 250 Honda (model name elludes me) which she rode from Newcastle to Byron Bay. I'll be considering a similar kind of trip myself in future.

Attachments

• 76147_kawasaki_gpx250r.jpg
    76147_kawasaki_gpx250r.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 354

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Def glad I didn't have to do the full 3 years of P's when I got my licence. Just had to do the 6mths on Learners then a year of red P's I remember quite enjoying the test but the Yammy 250 was pretty much the perfect bike to do it on, so light and easy.

I think I'll stay on a middleweight naked bike when I upgrade, would love another Ducati, an Aprilia Shiver 750 or a Triumph Street Triple but my not-so-large wallet might put me on something a bit less fancy.

I love the adventure bikes too, if I do learn some proper off road skills something like a KTM 990 Adventure would be awesome

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
Lucky on the P's there Jnor, personally I think the green P's thing is BS. I remember doing the hazard perception test thinking to myself "christ if someone fails this they shouldnt have been even allowed to get their L's in the first place". I had some people try to convince me to do the MOST test on a 125cc but I was determined to get it on my 250 which I did. I was probably only a shade on 60kg's at the time so the weight & balance was something I was still trying to get used to at slow speed but now I'm much more comfy on the bike.

The good thing about the bike it that buying the best bike is easier money wise then trying to buy the best car. Love the acceleration a bike provides too.

KTM 990 is a good option, I've been told its got more simple control set up by comparison to the BMW.

BTW I wasnt real happy about the green slip issue with bikes last year charging an arm & a leg for something that the gov. should be encouraging people to use for transport, given the environment, petrol prices, etc.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Seems I don't have to do the P2s being over 25, in fact it seems I can do the Ps one week after the Ls with my QLD history. So this time next year I'll be looking for a superbike ;)

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Got my Ls today ;) It's ridiculous that I had to do the knowledge test again, if I know the road rules well enough to drive, surely I can also ride? I guess I must be a safer driver now that I know you need to be 16yrs 9months to apply for your Ls, FFS.

Any opinions on this? Planning on riding down Epping road and over the Harbour Bridge to work in good weather, plus a few fire trails and tracks a couple times a year with mates.

Might buy it tomorrow afternoon!

S

spooony

You can make it street legal by fitting it with a Dakar Dual Sport Kit if you want to as the stator is only 100w it comes out with. Its a very solid bike and can do most trails plus parts are cheap and reliable. One bad point is probably the looks it has no fins in the front making it appear older than it really is

430783_230716837014885_122967587789.jpg

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Got my Ls today ;) It's ridiculous that I had to do the knowledge test again, if I know the road rules well enough to drive, surely I can also ride? I guess I must be a safer driver now that I know you need to be 16yrs 9months to apply for your Ls, FFS.

Any opinions on this? Planning on riding down Epping road and over the Harbour Bridge to work in good weather, plus a few fire trails and tracks a couple times a year with mates.

Might buy it tomorrow afternoon!

You know I never thought that doing the knowledge test again was retarded, but it is. I think I subconsciously decided to just accept whatever the RTA tells me to do as my mind will melt if I try and rationalise it and there's no chance of changing them anyway.

The XR looks good, in a similar vein I'd suggest the Suzuki DR-Z400E (or SM) as there's a million of them out there and they have a good rep. Having done long trips on a 250 dirtbike I can say being a windsock does get pretty tiring so if you're planning on doing longer tarmac (or higher speed dirt work) look at the BMW G650GS or Kawa KLR650.

The great thing about dirtbikes is they're almost all learner legal

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
I'm looking at the DR-Z400E now, mainly cause I reckon stalling it in the bus lane on the harbour bridge then having to kickstart a trailbike would be a good look.

The windsock shouldn't be too bad, main reason for the bike is the daily commute and that's about 10-15 minutes. Really want road tyres though... how hard are they to swap over?

Which other dirt bikes have electric start?

Status
Not open for further replies.