• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Motoring

Status
Not open for further replies.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
Australia falls behind in CO2 standards: report
http://www.drive.com.au/motor-news/...d-in-co2-standards-report-20140527-zrorw.html

"Australia continues to fall behind in its reduction of carbon emissions from new cars, a fresh report from the National Transport Commission has revealed.
According to The Carbon Dioxide Emissions from New Australian Vehicles 2013 paper, the emission average for the Australian vehicle fleet has fallen nearly 10 years behind equivalent European measures.
In addition, the report found average emission output of Australian-built cars was unchanged from findings in 2012."

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
Got to love "electric cars", (not). I remember listening to ABC science reporter, Bernie Hobbs, telling us that she'd bought an electric car. She did however admit that it was much dearer to purchase than a petrol or diesel equivalent, but she felt really good driving it!
She made the mistake of saying that it had 56 batteries (created by burning tonnes of fossil fuel), and that it had to be charged (for 8 hours each night), using electricity supplied via a coal-fired power station!
At that stage (two or three years ago), there were still problems with disposal, once the 56 batteries had reached their 'use by date.

Given that modern diesel-powered cars are returning around 4 litres per 100 kms, why would you drive around town in a vehicle loaded up with hundreds of kilos of batteries in a car with dubious braking capabilities, due to that excessive weight?

I feel very comfortable driving my petrol V8 Land Rover Discovery, given that I have only averaged 3,000-4,000 kms per year for the last 4 years!

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Hydrogen is the way of the future. I just don't think we'll see it any time soon. Anyone that comes up with a viable design based on H power is probably bought out by the big fuel co's before the idea sees the light of day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The technology is progressing rapidly, particularly in terms of the capabilities and price of the batteries.

Particularly as they become more popular and investment increases, the rate of advancement should also increase.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Said it before: as soon as it becomes economically more sound, human industry will jump all over it. Happened to animals, happened to steam, happened to electric. Petrol well get burnt eventually.

Given that modern diesel-powered cars are returning around 4 litres per 100 kms, why would you drive around town in a vehicle loaded up with hundreds of kilos of batteries in a car with dubious braking capabilities, due to that excessive weight?

I feel very comfortable driving my petrol V8 Land Rover Discovery, given that I have only averaged 3,000-4,000 kms per year for the last 4 years!

Diesel makes for a poor town car though - filter clogging etc. Much better if your regular commute is an uninterrupted 30 minute drive. Plus they cost more to buy so the economics aren't realised by everyone. I have always had petrol and 98 octane is a great way to save long term.

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
Pfitzy, you're spot on about diesels being less town-friendly, plus add the fact that many handpieces on diesel bowsers discharge distillate onto the user's hand because of worn or damaged o rings, and the maintenance/repair costs of diesel v petrol also tell a story, for example, a $5 spark plug v a $550 injector, or a $250 fuel pump v a $5,000 injector pump!

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Said it before: as soon as it becomes economically more sound, human industry will jump all over it. Happened to animals, happened to steam, happened to electric. Petrol well get burnt eventually.

Diesel makes for a poor town car though - filter clogging etc. Much better if your regular commute is an uninterrupted 30 minute drive. Plus they cost more to buy so the economics aren't realised by everyone. I have always had petrol and 98 octane is a great way to save long term.

Diesel engines need more frequent servicing. Oil and filters every 5000km is good practice.

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
I recently disposed of my Land Rover Discovery V8 [mentioned above], to the charity "Kids Under Cover", via their 'Donate Your Car' program.
You remove the registration plates, surrender them to Dept of Transport (and obtain a refund for any remaining amount), then a car-carrier picks the vehicle up at your home, at a time that suits you. Manheim, (the largest auction company in the world), sells the vehicle at their nearest auction centre, and then hands the full amount to Kids Under Cover. They also cover the cost of collecting and transporting the vehicle.
The money is used to build self-contained accommodation (in the back yard) for "troubled youths" who need some space from the rest of their family, and who would otherwise end up living on the street. They also offer a scholarship program to assist young needy people with education, job training, etc., plus a Mentoring program to improve a young person's confidence and self-esteem.
An extremely worthy charity, which I recommend to you all to consider when you are thinking of trading-in or disposing of that 'unwanted vehicle'!
BTW, they also take "non-goers"!! See Kids under Cover at kuc.org.au

Runner

Nev Cottrell (35)
Julia Louis-Dreyfus Does Commercial For Battery-Operated Mercedes AA Class Car On ‘SNL’ - YouTube.

webicon_green.png
https://www.youtube.com/embed/arQ8_PW-RiA?rel=0&iv_load_policy-3

Status
Not open for further replies.