• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Movie Thread

C

chief

Animal Kingdom is an Australian film which has achieved International recognition at some notable film festivals. I saw it the other day, and I will say its fantastic. People have even tipped it for Oscar recognition (I know an Aussie film, not happened since Shine!) It's based on the Swan St shootings in Melbourne except its in a modern time.

Suggest you all see it.

[video=youtube;R5BsYRmMfus]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5BsYRmMfus[/video]

Any other good films coming out?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
yeah have heard its awesome. can't wait to see it.

As a dad of you kids I don't get to see movies that much, but love them. Usually have to wait until DVD or Foxtel release.

Good thread though. Always good to hear whats good and not.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
got a couple that are out on dvd now but went right under the radar.

first up is Special, with all the superhero films out there at the moment, this is the best one of the regular joes become superhero movies. Absolutely beautiful and disturbing at the same time (and well linked to GAGRs job, hope you like it mate)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VVq9P5mtV4&feature=related

next up is a swedish vampire movie, "let the right one in", unfortunately its in subtitles so those in qld wont be able to follow the fantastic story but its also one of the most strickingly beautiful films ive ever seen. its not the action packed movie the trailer suggests, its more about suspence and isolation but the pay off is fantastic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZJUgsZ56vQ

matty_k

Peter Johnson (47)
Staff member
Saw the A-Team last week.

Whilst it isn't going to be a classic it surely is fun. With quite a few laughs.
Belief does need to be suspended in a few scenes.

Sharlto Copley (District 9) steals the show as Murdock.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
You guys heard of Beneath Hill 60? Outstanding movie. Makes you think about war all over again. And because I'm so awesome, I had the writer and director over for dinner tonight.

My favourite film of the decade is Moon.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
re: Animal Kingdom

Fark me, since when was Australia such an organise crime ridden hell hole! This plus catching up on Underbelly has tipped me over the edge!

Looks good but.

Leckie!!

re: Special

side effects may include; dizziness, vomiting, tenesmus, schizoid episodes and sudden death.

No comeback WJ!

matty_k

Peter Johnson (47)
Staff member
Beneath Hill 60 was an amazing film. On par with Gallipoli as a far as war films go.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
got a couple that are out on dvd now but went right under the radar.
next up is a swedish vampire movie, "let the right one in", unfortunately its in subtitles so those in qld wont be able to follow the fantastic story but its also one of the most strickingly beautiful films ive ever seen. its not the action packed movie the trailer suggests, its more about suspence and isolation but the pay off is fantastic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZJUgsZ56vQ

yep, saw that. It definitely has a certain style to it. The pool scene is awesome. Of course the yanks are making a remake with the chick from kick ass the vampire.

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
Saw the A-Team last week.

Whilst it isn't going to be a classic it surely is fun. With quite a few laughs.
Belief does need to be suspended in a few scenes.

Sharlto Copley (District 9) steals the show as Murdock.

The A-Team was bloody amazing.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Just saw The Cove. Wow! Amazing story. Couldn't say its really a documentary, but I don't think there are any true documentaries (ie equal account of both sides) but tis an unbelievable story told in an unbelievable way.

C

chief

Bringing this up again. I suggest you all see The King's Speech. Geoffrey Rush, and Colin Firth are exquisite. Certainly would be front runners for the Academy Awards.

C

chief

My sister - who's in the film business - reckons Firth would be up for the gong if Robert Duval hadn't done so well in Get Low http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1194263/

Logic is he's an American legend and at 80 could be his last(?) chance for an Oscar?

Can't see it happening Gagger, Duval missed out on a Golden Globe nomination. Besides Firth missed out last year (unfairly IMO) to Jeff Bridges (Crazy Heart) Firth was the front runner the whole time, but they went for a bloke who hadn't won it. Can't see Firth missing out on it this year, particularly after this film, take my word for it he was sublime. Best acting performance I've seen in some time.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Chief - did you actually like A Single Man?

I thought it was self indulgent pap, and had paid for tickets and a baby sitter to see it

Like the sound of The Kings Speech though

C

chief

Chief - did you actually like A Single Man?

I thought it was self indulgent pap, and had paid for tickets and a baby sitter to see it

Like the sound of The Kings Speech though

I really did like A Single Man. It was certainly an unusual storyline. But it was really quite a great film, with an unusual yet captivating characters.

I have to prove myself wrong about Robert Duval as well, he's definitely a chance for nomination for an Academy Award, he has been nominated for an SAG award, which gives a pretty good insight to the nominations for the Oscars. So I think your sister might be onto something Gagger.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Just saw The King's Speech tonight, and I concur with Chief. Fantastic film, and wonderful performances from Firth and Rush. If Firth does not win some awards, the process stinks. Followed up with some great tapas at the Spanish place down the road, nice glass of Rioja (and snagged a swig of my wife's Pinot Noir), now some very good small batch single barrel Bourbon on ice. Good night out!

T

Thomas

Animal Kingdom is an Australian film which has achieved International recognition at some notable film festivals. I saw it the other day, and I will say its fantastic. People have even tipped it for Oscar recognition (I know an Aussie film, not happened since Shine!) It's based on the Swan St shootings in Melbourne except its in a modern time.

Is it just me or do all Australian films have their characters have stereotypical Australian accent?

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Is it just me or do all Australian films have their characters have stereotypical Australian accent?

Totally agree. I've never heard anyone talk like that in my life, except when Bryan Brown lived in my street.

Has anyone seen the Legend of the bloody Guardians (the owl movie). Strewth cobber, what a pack of crook accents. Strike a light!

matty_k

Peter Johnson (47)
Staff member
I was about to say Bad Eggs as a film that doesn't but then I remembered it has Bill Hunter in it.