• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Movie Thread

Karl

Bill McLean (32)
I know its not a movie, but I just finished watching the first season of Homeland and for TV, it's pretty darned good.

S

spooony

13 Assasins - 8/10 - subtitles sometimes went by to fast so I couldn't read them. Especially bad at the beginning. Other than that it was a good story with good cinematography. The fighting scenes were done in an elegant manner. Worth seeing before Hollywood tries to redo it but in a worse manner.

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Also not a movie but I'm half way through the 2nd season of Breaking Bad atm. Shit. Is. Epic. (someone remind me if I ever sub-edit a car/bike magazine to call an article 'Braking Bad')

Best TV I've watched since the Wire.

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
Breaking bad is intense... I still struggle to come to grips with the main guy being the dad from malcolm in the middle

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Saw Tintin yesterday, was a toss-up between that and Sherlock. The animation was amazing but the story's pretty weak and obviously set for a sequel BUT it's also an awesome nostalgia-fest for anyone who grew up with it

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
I just saw... wait for it... Alvin and the Chipmunks 3: Chip wrecked. The Chipmunks singing Lady Gaga songs. Does it get any better? For what its worth my kids loved it.

My highlight was when someone else's kid projectile vomited not once... not twice... but three times down the stairs. Poor kid.

The 15yr old cinema attendant wasn't sure how to clean this up. He returned 10 minutes later with 4 bags of kitty litter. Either that's what they usually use to clean up vomit or a lot of cats like crapping in that cinema.

Badger

Bill McLean (32)
My highlight was when someone else's kid projectile vomited not once... not twice... but three times down the stairs. Poor kid.

The 15yr old cinema attendant wasn't sure how to clean this us. He retunred 10 minutes later with 4 bags of kitty little. Either thats what they usually use to clean up vomit or a lot of cats like crapping in that cinema.

Always amusing to watch projectile vomit on TV or in a movie. Never seen it happen in reality. You didn't even need 3D!!!

Kitty litter soaks it up and helps reduce the smell. Then you vacuum when it's dry. It may not get rid of all of it, but most of it should be gone and much better than trying to clean it when it is still wet or waiting for it to dry.

Badger

Bill McLean (32)
Not a movie, but the Dexter series is pretty cool.

Dexter is great. I have only seen up to season four. The Trinity Killer was brilliant and the finale was a shocker. Looking forward to catching up on seasons 5 and 6.

Not for everybody though, especially, the squeamish with the high gore content.

Badger

Bill McLean (32)
Best TV I've watched since the Wire.

I haven't seen The Wire yet. I bought the series, but still to get around to it.

However, I recently watched season 1 of Treme which was co-created by David Simon. It took me a few episodes to get into it, but it was worthwhile. The music in the show is excellent.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
I watched the new Holmes last night, if you liked the first one, this one improves on everything, plus added Stephen fry. Pretty entertaining and great final act

lincoln

Bob Loudon (25)
Sherlock Holmes and The Girl with The Dragon Tattoo are must sees - SH has become a 19th century James Bond with good storylines, plenty of action, and plenty of tongue in cheek although way too much of Stephen Fry's cheeks! The Girl is a greater thriller movie with good script and acting - makes a good job of the book although one major change at the end. Movie to avoid at all costs is Warhorse - equine version of Lassie Come Home - absolute rubbish that goes way too long.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Dexter is great. I have only seen up to season four. The Trinity Killer was brilliant and the finale was a shocker. Looking forward to catching up on seasons 5 and 6.

Not for everybody though, especially, the squeamish with the high gore content.

Trinity was great wasn't it! That's as far as I've gotten too and I can't wait to get the next two sets.

I don't know about the gore though, it's not that bad.

Favourite character - Masuka!!

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Yeah, watched the new Sherlock Holmes movie, really enjoyed it. Downey Jr and Jude Law work well together. Guy Ritchie has done a great job with the two movies. Stephen Fry was good, as was the guy who played Moriarty.

Badger

Bill McLean (32)
Trinity was great wasn't it! That's as far as I've gotten too and I can't wait to get the next two sets.

I don't know about the gore though, it's not that bad.

Favourite character - Masuka!!

I have no probs with the gore, but some I know are put off by it.

Masuka is a great character. There is just enough of him that he doesn't become overbearing.

I've heard that season 5 is not as strong because there is no equivalent character like Trinity.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
Saw Tintin yesterday, was a toss-up between that and Sherlock. The animation was amazing but the story's pretty weak and obviously set for a sequel BUT it's also an awesome nostalgia-fest for anyone who grew up with it

I absolutely love Tin Tin! Grew up watching the cartoon on ABC in the afternoon after school as well as reading the cartoon books (x3 stories/book I believe). I then sold them at the local fete thinking I was getting old for them - wish I hadnt sold them! Came across the DVD box set a couple of years ago & have it now to relive the series. I laugh at how many times Tin Tin gets either knocked out, shot at, or gassed. Still need to find the comics that werent put into the animated TV series.

In regards to the movie I think kids would love it but for those of us who grew up with Tin Tin I'd give it just over a pass mark. I didnt regret seeing it, I thought it was quite good, they meshed a couple of other episodes into the overall episode they were doing (The Secret of the Unicorn/Red Rackhams Treasure) but it definitely couldve had more bulk to the story. I wasnt real keen on the fact that they made what was a innocent character in the comic series as a bad guy (the one they made red Rackhams descendant).

I actually think a better pick in terms of a longer story would have been to do "The Seven Crystal Balls + Prisoners of the Sun" or "Cigars of the Pharaoh + The Blue Lotus". Problem is I think they wanted a story to introduce Haddock & the Cigars+Blue lotus (which is one of my fav's if not my top fav) doesnt yet have Haddock introduced in the series. I think because they've gone with an episode/movie that has Haddock in it first off has buggered up any chance of doing another Tin Tin movie that involves the Cigars/Lotus story line or Tin Tin in America. For mine they've made a bit of a mess of it there. I reckon if a sequal is made then it will be based on the end of Red Rackhams treasure (introduce Calculus) then move into the Crystal balls + Prisoners storyline which I think would made a better story. There are a couple of subtitle non animated Tin Tin movies I watched years ago - currently trying to find them.

...but the nostalgia! yes I agree it took me back years. Watching Tin Tin made my relatives & I want to travel!

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
I haven't seen the second RDJ Sherlock Holmes movie yet but I can guarantee you it cannot be better than the Steven Moffat written TV series 'Sherlock'. This guy is my favourite screen writer, did a heap of the latest season of Doctor Who and also the amazing sequel of Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde simply called 'Jekyll'. Seriously take the time to watch these and then find a spot in the corner to cry at how bad most of australian television really is...

Also just remembered Moffat wrote Coupling... funniest sitcom in a long time. Watch the british version of this and not the butchered american one.