• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Moving to Brisbane

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris McCracken

Jim Clark (26)
Not sure if this is supposed to be in this forum, but I don't see a better spot.

I'm moving to Brisbane next month. Before I sort out the less important stuff like where I'll live, etc, I need to figure out which club I'll lob up at.

What are some good candidates? The only important points for me are that there might be a chance to coach and that they have a feasible pathway if and when the boy moves up.

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)
Strong junior clubs with good pathways to seniors are Easts, Brothers, GPS, Sunnybank, and Souths. Souths are smaller, Wests are probably a good option too. All are good clubs with healthy junior numbers and teams right through to Premier division.

It depends on the area you're going to live in. Easts are based in Coorparoo, so inner Eastern suburbs - Morningside, Bulimba, Coorparoo, Norman Park, Camp Hill, Kangaroo Point, Wolloongabba, Cannon Hill, Carina - these are all suburbs near Easts (the club I know best).
GPS are based in Ashgrove, inner Western suburbs so Paddington, Red Hill, Ashgrove, Bardon, Rosalie are all close. Souths are in Tarragindi - Annerley, Greenslopes, Tarragindi, Dutton Park, Yeronga are nearby. Their senior ground is separate to their junior ground but a good club.
Sunnybank are further out in southern suburbs - very well funded club with good grounds due to pokie machines.
Brothers are in Albion - inner North, so Gordon Park, Albion, Fortitude Valley, Hamilton are all nearby, separate ground for juniors to seniors but strong junior numbers.
Wests are in Toowong - close to St Lucia, Auchenflower, Taringa.

Pick a suburb and then look at proximity to any of these clubs.

BaysideBird

Bill Watson (15)
Honestly, I'm more likely to pick a suburb based on the club I'm at. :)

Honestly, I'm more likely to pick a suburb based on the club I'm at. :)

Don't think you have to choose one of the big clubs. Some of the best rugby communities are at some of the smaller suburban clubs, especially for juniors. All the clubs listed above have upwards of around 1000 juniors so you can become just a number rather than apart of the club (I played juniors at Norths at a time where we had 850 juniors).

Depending on where you move to, here is a list of all the active clubs currently in Brisbane (except The Lions are defunct I believe):
http://www.bjru.com.au/club-rugby/clubs

Chris McCracken

Jim Clark (26)
Thanks for the resource. That's pretty comprehensive.

I'm not after a junior club. "The Boy" mentioned above is playing senior footy. In fact, he made his first grade debut at the weekend.

Chris McCracken

Jim Clark (26)
Strong junior clubs with good pathways to seniors are Easts, Brothers, GPS, Sunnybank, and Souths. Souths are smaller, Wests are probably a good option too. All are good clubs with healthy junior numbers and teams right through to Premier division.

It depends on the area you're going to live in. Easts are based in Coorparoo, so inner Eastern suburbs - Morningside, Bulimba, Coorparoo, Norman Park, Camp Hill, Kangaroo Point, Wolloongabba, Cannon Hill, Carina - these are all suburbs near Easts (the club I know best).
GPS are based in Ashgrove, inner Western suburbs so Paddington, Red Hill, Ashgrove, Bardon, Rosalie are all close. Souths are in Tarragindi - Annerley, Greenslopes, Tarragindi, Dutton Park, Yeronga are nearby. Their senior ground is separate to their junior ground but a good club.
Sunnybank are further out in southern suburbs - very well funded club with good grounds due to pokie machines.
Brothers are in Albion - inner North, so Gordon Park, Albion, Fortitude Valley, Hamilton are all nearby, separate ground for juniors to seniors but strong junior numbers.
Wests are in Toowong - close to St Lucia, Auchenflower, Taringa.

Thanks for this. It gives me a good idea of where everything is.

Status
Not open for further replies.