1. Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Music ???

Discussion in 'Everything Else' started by NFL, May 26, 2014.

1. Slim 293 Jason Little (69)

Eyvind Kang's solo works are all brilliant IMO, in particular - Theater of Mineral NADEs and Live Low to the Earth, In the Iron Age.....

I don't really listen to the earlier Swans as much (mostly Body to Body, Job to Job when I do)......

My fondness actually lies in their most recent albums, plus Soundtracks for the Blind.
    Dismal Pillock likes this.
  2. Dismal Pillock John Thornett (49)

more bin scabbing:

Tom Verlaine - Cover LP 200 yen always skip past this guys solo stuff thinking its just gonna be pale contrails of his TELEVISION days. it kind of is but with a big drum sound. might be a grower though. 1984
    Television Personalities - When I Grow Up I Want To Be. 7" 200 yen. poignant mutherfuckers
    Sugar - Your Favorite Thing 7" 100 yen. different b-sides are a yes
    Raydio - Rock On LP 300 yen. some rock solid funk for us bleck jokers
  3. Dismal Pillock John Thornett (49)

bugger all record shopping here so far this year, too broke

DAVE BRUBECK live in paree lp 100 yeah wftever dave
    Rolling Stones - Waiting On A Friend 7"£1.50 man this song sounds good
    Deacon Blue - Real Gone Kid 7" £0.50 sucker for the bass line
    The Cure - Standing On A Beach • The Singles (And Unavailable B-Sides Cass, £3.75. ace b-sides here and there
    Run-D.M.C.* - It's Tricky 7",£1.50
    Sparks - The Number One Song In Heaven 7 £0.75
    Peter Gabriel - Digging In The Dirt 7"£1.99. shitpot recording job
    Tubeway Army - Are 'Friends' Electric? 7" £0.75 fuck yeah
    Elvis Costello & The Attractions - Oliver's Army 7" £0.99
    The Who - Who Are You 7" £0.60
    Thin Lizzy - Killers Live 7" £0.75 bit hit and miss for me. no stiffy here
    Laurie Anderson - O Superman 7"£0.75 intriguing
    Bob Dylan - Modern Times CD £4.99
    Bob Dylan - Love And Theft CD £2.75. fahk this sounds good dubbed to cobalt cassette tape. all 3 of these Bob Dullin cd's do
    Bob Dylan - Time Out Of Mind CD £2.50
    Faith No More - From Out Of Nowhere 7" £1.99 dated badly
    Genesis - Abacab 7 £1.25 drum sound yes the rest wft no
    John Foxx - Burning Car 7" £0.75 KILLER synthfaerie outing here.

[IMG]

BARONESS BLUE RECORD Vinyl LP (Album) 20.00. well it sounded alright on youtube. fuck this though. the drums almost save it for me but the rock star vocals and Malmsteen bullshit ruin it
    BARONESS PURPLE Vinyl LP (Album) 15.00. dislike this one even more
    BEACH BOYS SUNFLOWER (180 GR) Vinyl LP (Album) 18.50 very fucking relaxing, a bit maudlin 70's but cool cool water oh god
    CHROME ALIEN SOUNDTRACKS Vinyl LP (Album) 11.25 bout fuckin time. i deserve it
    EDDY CURRENT SUPPRESSION RING EDDY CURRENT SUPPRESSION RING Vinyl LP (Album) 11.50 "Having a hard time" goddamn that is alltime
    EDDY CURRENT SUPPRESSION RING PRIMARY COLOURS Vinyl LP (Album) 11.50
    DOOMRIDERS BLACK THUNDER (COLOR) Vinyl LP (Album) 8.00 stuff this, too hectic and pacy, was expecting doom, it says doomriders, i just want doom
    REATARD, JAY MATADOR SINGLES '08 (120 GR) Vinyl LP (Album) 12.75
    REATARD, JAY SINGLES 06-07 Vinyl LP (Album) 16.75
    The Fall - The Infotainment Scan cass 3 pound. bit too sterile dancey professional here
    The Fall - Shift-Work 3 pound, filthy fucking dirty, cleaning tape heads every 10 mins got real old real fast, BIN
    The Fall - Code: Selfish cass 3 pound, ditto fucking fluffybunny
    The Blue Nile - Hats. cass 2 pound. rooting this maudlin 1989 sookfest. totally miserable.
    Brian Eno music for films LP 600 yen. sounds terrible up loud, but down quiet, just perfectly sands the splinters from the maidenhead of another pregantly-paused room.
    Fleetwood Mac Tusk LP 100 yen. oh god I'm keeping it. Lindsey Buckingham, just love the bastad, might even check out his consequent solo works
    Astronauts LP best of 200 yen. surf is a yes
    Spotnicks vs Les Players. LP 400 yen stellar recording
    Wedding Present dont try and stop me mother 12" 400 yen. bit tinpot squally before the majesty of Seamonster & Albini sound took root

[IMG]
  4. Dismal Pillock John Thornett (49)

AMON DUUL II viva la trance LP 1,200 yen fucks me off I cant get into this, too psychy/hectic, massively rooting the 2 lp’s after this, Hijack and Made in America, pricey purchase for me too gahh, why can’t all their songs sound like “Loosey Girls”
    Peter Gabriel - Red Rain 7" £0.99 big speakers love the ornate studio wankery
    The Isley Brothers - Take Me To The Next Phase (Parts 1 & 2) / Live in the life (7") £0.99 A & B side both killers. Already have LP versions fuck I’m an OCD fluffybunny
    Slave - The Hardness Of The World LP £3.49 crucial condition upgrade. Rock solid funk for all us bleck bitches & hos
    Ed Kuepper - Everybody's Got To LP £4.99 fucken awesome fucken knew it would be
    Bob Seger - Hollywood Nights 7" £0.99 wft
    Dr. Feelgood - Down At The Doctors 7" £0.99 condition upgrade.
    Black Sabbath - Paranoid 7" £1.79. only about the 4th time I’ve bought this
    Neil Young - Four Strong Winds 7" £0.99 bit maudlin but yeah righto
    Siouxsie And The Banshees* - The Staircase (Mystery) 7" £1.79 yep
    Blue Öyster Cult - On Your Feet Or On Your Knees 2xLP £2.99 fuck no cannot see what people see in this band
    Mike Oldfield - Tubular Bells LP £2.99 bought to enable discogs flog of OBI version, sometimes the obsession bleeds into a sickness
    Roy Orbison - It's Over 7" £0.99. condition upgrade. GODHEAD
    Kate Bush - Wow 7 £0.99 Brits look after their records like they look after their fucking teeth.
    Ohio Players - Skin Tight LP £3.99 to complement cass version. Anal fluffybunny is a yes
    Cocteau Twins - Pearly-Dewdrops' Drops 7" 2 pound. godhead
    LINDSEY BUCKINGHAM out of the cradle CD 200 yen. 1992, works for about 3 creative songs the rest is just billion dollar studio guitar wank, look at me, I’m worth 45 million (I looked it up) and oh by the way did you know I have 74 spanish steel pedal mandolins GTFO
    PATTI SMITH GROUP easter LP 300 yen. Imagine there was some monster feminazi group wank over this back in the day, no idea here in context-stripped North Korea-with-borders-of-the-mind, just know it is a pretty fuckin interesting record and every teen in the 70’s probably contemplated jacking it or jilling it over that cover.

[IMG]
  5. The torpedo Chilla Wilson (44)

Anyone else go to the Bruce Springsteen concert last night?
  6. Dismal Pillock John Thornett (49)

Nope, looks like it was just you and the Boss, chief.
    Although I have owned all his glory days lp's over the course of my life.

Wild The Innocent:4/10 sort of passed me by
    Greeting Asbury park:4/10 ditto
    Born To Run: 5/10 iHomo, hasnt aged well. too overwrought seppo-y
    Darkness on the edge of town: 9/10. magnum opus iHomo.
    The River: 5/10. reacquired after 20 year gap. aside from Hungry Heart, didnt thrill
    Nebraska: 8/10. godhead.
    Born in usa 6/10. loved this back in the 80's but weird how little guitar it really has compared to all the wussy 80's keyboards
  7. Braveheart81 Rocky Elsom (76)

One of his later albums that I really liked was Devils & Dust from 2005.

Well worth checking out if you're a fan. The songs on it were mostly written quite a lot earlier.
  8. Dismal Pillock John Thornett (49)

yeah its funny how old blokes you think might be washed up can put out an album you never knew about and its goddamn great. eg took a punt on 3 "recent" Bob Dylan cd's, wasnt expecting much, and now love all 3 to death

Modern Times
    Love and Theft
    Time out of mind.

got me thinking about my Top 10 Alltime Favourite Boss songs now...
  9. Dismal Pillock John Thornett (49)

1. Open All Night
    2. Something In The Night
    3. Racing In The Street
    4. Johnny 99
    5. Darkness On The Edge Of Town
    6. Thunder Road
    7. Hungry Heart
    8. Adam Raised A Cain (live from 5xlp box)
    9. Atlantic City
    10. State Trooper
  10. Dismal Pillock John Thornett (49)

Crucial binscabbing update

ADRIAN BELEW twang LP 300 yen. How about “no” Scott
    AFGHAN WHIGS gentleman 12 100 yen. Always a yes these pricks
    AVAIL 4am Friday LP 450 yen. Reacquisition of one I used to thrash in the 90’s. nice nostalgia. will probably never play again
    BATS live wfmu 7 300 yen. Always a yes, The Bets.
    BOB MOULD s/t CD 300 yen. Maybe a yes
    BUCK BILOXI culture LP 850 yen. Flavor of the month darlings. It’s shit. Heard it all a zillion times before.
    BUTTHOLE SURFERS widowermaker 12 600 yen
    BUTTHOLE SURFERS piough LP 750 yen. still hillaaaaaaarrrous but still shit
    CABARET VOLTAIRE live 79 600 yen. 79, couldn’t go wrong
    CHILLS heavenly 2X7 450 yen. NZ music just does not exist in japenn so this was a breathtaking find
    CHROME flashback 2xCD 400 yen. Some live tracks I didn’t have
    CONVERGE/COALESCE 7 500 yen. Hell on toast
    CORRUPTED/INFAUST 7 600 yen. Best.
    CORRUPTED/BLACK ARMY JACKET 500 yen. munter
    CORRUPTED loss 7 800 yen. Too ambient

[IMG]

DINOSAUR JR quest 7 450 yen. awesome
    EARTH living in the gleam CD 500 yen. Real bummer. Not into it
    ELECTRIC WIZARD dopethrone CD 1100 yen. Another crucialle reacquisiton
    FALL selfish & shiftwork CD 900 yen. Bit discoey but some godhead
    FALL bbc radio 1 CD 500 yen boomfah
    FRICTION s/t CD 700 yen godhead OG japan punks, j-version of SF’s “Crime” for me
    Foul lp 600 yen. gorgeous
    FUZZ s/t CD 700 yen. Hipsters do doom metal, gtfo
    [IMG]
    GODHEADSILO scientific LP 100 yen. Total pants shitting 90’s reaqcusution. Total fuckign downer that the thing has more surface noise than fucking noise.
    GODHEADSILO/HAMMERHEAD 7 100 yen. Shit my drawers when I found this. Bummer, its “experimental”
    HAnK WOOD AND HAMMERHEADS momma 7 100 yen. Wild ride is a yes.
    KARP/RYE COALITION LP 750 yen forgettable after Karp’s glorious lp outings
    LAURIE ANDERSON big science LP 350 yen. besides O Superman, the jury’s out. Mr Heartbreak way better
    LAZY COWGIRLS radio CD 500 yen. Huge raucous glory
    MAGAZINE the light pours 7 400 yen. GODHEAD.
    MARK LANEGAN no bells LP 100 yen 700 yen
    MARK LANEGAN BAND bubblegum CD this guy has been either a huge yes or a huge no for me. These two, the latter.
    MASTERS OF REALITY welcome CD 500 yen a few munters
    NIGHT MARCHERS allez 12 400 yen. Took a punt, thought their first from 2008 was a bummer but man oh man, theyre back on the HOT SNAKES train here
    SLOWDIVE just for a day CD 750 yen. Too dismal, even for me.
    SLOWDIVE Souvlaki CD 900 maudlin a go-go

[IMG]

THRONES white rabbit LP 1400 yen almost had a heart attack in my bumcrack when I found this. I may have actually squealed aloud in the shop, like a little girl finding her long-lost but very, very favourite Barbie doll in the shelves. TOTAL doom metal, TOTAL destruktionne.
    TODAY IS THE DAY supernova LP 750 yen another pant-shitting 90’s amrep find
    VANGELIS best LP 100 yen yes, yes you can have your laughs, Vangelis, but the wanky Sonab speakers cream their daks to his 70’s synth action
    WEDDING PRESENT live LP 500 yen. Almost always a yes this band.
    WHO tommy LP 700 yen. Sumptuous. Except for Pete’s pedo bits.
    ZAPP heartbreaker 7 100 yen. need entire first 5 years by this band.
  11. Dismal Pillock John Thornett (49)

doesn’t anyone here buy music any more? You pesky kids with your tinpot freebie downloads

PART CHIMP Thriller LP $15. munt noise doom. Hasn’t got the uplifting anthemic qualities of “I Am Come” .
    SLOMATICS Estron CD $4. Total bogsnot knuckle-drag doom metal. Perfectly in my wheelhouse but somehow not really memorable
    FALL - Seminal Live CD €3.00. of course, God. Kurious Oranji for the win
    FOLK IMPLOSION - One Part Lullaby CD €3.00 dance music drums are a no. Sounds like one of those “chill” snowboarding videos. Fuck this shit.
    THE BAND - Best Of CD €2.50 my Band lp’s are so crusty and crackly thought I better see what the songs actually sounded like. Turns out, on CD, they’re totally compressed soulless garbage. Back to the rusty lp’s
    SENSE FIELD - Tonight And Forever CD €4.00. always have time for these emo sooks but stretching it here. Back to “Building” lp
    MULE - If I Don't Six CD €3.00 90’s reacquisition, wasn’t entirely rooting it then. still not
    CONAN live at roadburn CD $5 boring swamp doom munt from hell, love it
    PART CHIMP Chart Pimp CD €4.00 Iron Pond for the win, Tortal Desutruktionne

12. Slim 293 Jason Little (69)

I've had a busy year, and finally got around to picking up some things I should've bought years ago.

SPARKS - Kimono My House
    MARIANNE FAITHFULL - Broken English
    BABA COMMANDANT AND THE MANDINGO BAND - Juguya
    SUICIDE - Suicide (yeah yeah, why did I only just pick this up.)
    BAD BRAINS - Bad Brains
    PATTI SMITH - Easter
    TORTOISE - TNT
    BIG BLACK - Songs About Fucking
    ROLLING STONES - Exile on Main St
    NEIL YOUNG - After The Gold Rush
    ABDOU EL OMARI - Nuits D'Ete
    TALKING HEADS - The Name of This Band is Talking Heads
    CONTORTIONS - Buy
    THE ISLEY BROTHERS - 3 + 3
    SIR RICHARD BISHOP - Tangier Sessions
    RICK JAMES - Street Songs
    PERE UBU - The Modern Dance
    MILES DAVIS - On The Corner (again, I didn't have this? wtf?)
    ROY AYERS - Everybody Loves The Sunshine
    DEXTER GORDON - One Flight Up
    THIS HEAT - THIS HEAT
    WILLIAM ONYEABOR - Who Is William Onyeabor?
    POREST - Modern Journal of Popular Savagery
    THE DWARFS OF EAST AGOUZA - Bes
    THUNDERCAT - The Beyond / Where The Giants Roam
    MUDDY WATERS - Hard Again
    BETTY DAVIS - They Say I'm Different
    JIM O'ROURKE - Simple Songs

I'm certain there's more but I'm too hungover right now to remember...
  13. Dismal Pillock John Thornett (49)

cheapies?

weird, I only like the 80's period of this band (Angst in my pants) and couldnt connect at all with those first 70's lps
    took me a while to come around to the casiotone blip blip thing but oh God Frankie Teardrop
    thrashed to deth. burned out
    new to this LP. rooting it.
    had this on tape and LP since it came out. Still, after all the years, the best way to clear a room of unwanted guests.

had a zillion copies of this but mustve burnt out on it in teen years. cant stand it now. Still, first consciousness is so strong I'll probably buy it again.
    idiotaclly sold this superb 2xLP even though its my 3rd favourite TH release (after Remain in Light then Fear of Music. MORAN.)
    rooted this one for a long time and still have it but weirdly the vocal inflections gradually turned me off the band completely. Oddly, still the LOUDEST live band I have ever seen.
  14. Slim 293 Jason Little (69)

A couple of bargains in there, but mostly reissues...

I've had some money to burn after a couple of years of tight savings.
  15. The Honey Badger Peter Fenwicke (45)

Someone please tell me what this thread is about. . Just collectables??

Sent from my F3115 using Tapatalk
  16. Dismal Pillock John Thornett (49)

most of it seems to be boring lists of the records I7ve bought over the last couple of years. not collectables though, im just a broke cheapie bin scabber
    The Honey Badger likes this.
  17. The Honey Badger Peter Fenwicke (45)

Yes, you are right. Very boring indeed.

Pretty poor use of scarce thread space.

18. The Honey Badger Peter Fenwicke (45)

19. Braveheart81 Rocky Elsom (76)

That Afghan Whigs album is great. Certainly their best.

Most Dinosaur Jr albums are great. J Macsis is an amazing musician.

Mark Lanegan made an album a few years ago with the main guy from Afghan Whigs, Greg Dulli. They were called Gutter Twins and the album was Saturnalia. It was pretty decent.
  20. The Honey Badger Peter Fenwicke (45)

Some might think this is a worse use of thread space.

I recently watched the movie Hell or High Water staring Jeff Bridges, Chris Pine and Ben Foster.

Best movie I have seen in years. It also has an amazing sound track. I ordered in from Sanity and just keep playing it. So dam good.

Got a strong country feel, bit dirgey in places but all quality. There is a lot of Nick Cave instrumental in between the tracks that is mood music for the movie, some of that is out there. But the tracks all Gold.

Here's one from YouTube with movie footage. Recommend the movie if you haven't seen it. Was on Big pond a few weeks ago.