• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

My Super Rugby Solotion!

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Doc Craven use to qoute that you never should just check the scoreboard. Much better to concentrate on the things you did wrong and try and fix that. We are talking about rugby here and myself think we should do what is important for rugby first and foremost and try and fix this.

The fact is that the three southern nations need each other and all three contribute over the years and help each other to stay at the top after a long time. So we dont need to fix this but we need to look at the three countries needs to make us even better.

Otherwise as in Doc's days is that money is the most important thing in the modern game. So this is the one that should drive Super Rugby. Each country have their own idea the way it should go forward and the farts at the top should compromise. If me and Biffo can do this , sure the they can do the same.

We do have to get the fixture list right at the same time. The one stumbling block is the season start, so lets fix the most important one, that is the 3 Nation. That one should be last. So start with the lowest level and that is the CC & NPC. Australia dont have this so we can start the CC/NPC in January for all that matters. Then play Super Rugby and 3 Nation last. Fix the 3 Nation timeframe and let the rest fall in. The big benefit for all three countries is that their top players can be manage better within their province at the lowest level and lower their workload.

The only way I see Super Rugby go is to rather cut on the amount of teams then to make them more. Make it a Super12 again and let each country have four participants..

SA/Aus/NZ can decide on their own the amount of teams in their local provincial competitions and let the top 4 teams qualify for Super Rugby. If Aus want to include Japan or the PI let them play in their local competition. IF SA want the Vikings or whatever team let them qaulify through the CC.

To get a more fairer end result divide the 12 teams in two sections (2 SA, 2 NZ , 2 Aus)and let them play home and away. The two top teams in the sections can play semis and final to get to the winner.

Or play the S12 like we did in the past.

Myself think its very important to have a strong rugby structure. Thats the one that bring the young ones through. Thats the most important one for the quality and the future of rugby.

S

Spook

O'Neill suggested something like this but SARU knocked it. That is, the best from each local competition play a final series.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Thats not exactly the same thing Spookie, they had a problem about the seasons start and he wants more teams init.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
I quite like the idea of startig with domestic rugby and building up to the 3N. It would even help Aus to foster a domestic comp, although there is actually far more politics to be overcome for this to occur.

I haven't counted the weeks, but it feels like there would still be trouble fitting the season in. You would need to allow 2-3 weeks between comps to allow players to recover and some basic training time.

To be honest, I think this would be most difficult for NZ as they struggle with rugby crowds early in the season anyway.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
mark_s said:
I quite like the idea of startig with domestic rugby and building up to the 3N. It would even help Aus to foster a domestic comp, although there is actually far more politics to be overcome for this to occur.

I haven't counted the weeks, but it feels like there would still be trouble fitting the season in. You would need to allow 2-3 weeks between comps to allow players to recover and some basic training time.

To be honest, I think this would be most difficult for NZ as they struggle with rugby crowds early in the season anyway.

This is what Jon is trying to get, but would require SA and NZ to totally reschedule their seasons which they are just not going to do.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Dont think it will hurt them more as it is at the moment. If I read through the lines on TSF I think they have more a problem if the structure of their competion. The amount of teams playing in the NPC.

The big differense between my thoughts and ONeil's thingie like Spookie qoute is that we and NZ have S14 franchises and the CC & NPC have provinces. Think both countries always had the problem chucking these together as a S14 franchise. It sure dont work well.

But if you give the smaller ones a change to get into S14 rugby they'll settle. The disadvantage of this is that you will get your top lot not playing in that level. Thats where NZ have a problem because they use central contracts for the top players.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
PaarlBok said:
Dont think it will hurt them more as it is at the moment. If I read through the lines on TSF I think they have more a problem if the structure of their competion. The amount of teams playing in the NPC.

The big differense between my thoughts and ONeil's thingie like Spookie qoute is that we and NZ have S14 franchises and the CC & NPC have provinces. Think both countries always had the problem chucking these together as a S14 franchise. It sure dont work well.

But if you give the smaller ones a change to get into S14 rugby they'll settle. The disadvantage of this is that you will get your top lot not playing in that level. Thats where NZ have a problem because they use central contracts for the top players.

Pray tell me when you think the Cheetahs and Lions are going to settle.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Well I think Saru will have to make the desicion but this is only my idea. I call them all farts and they have their own agendas afterall.

Going back to top : They will never take a rugby one afterall, not like Doc Craven did.

Status
Not open for further replies.