• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Naas Botha Schoolboy "Klofies" Coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Have to give this man credit. He has been a great great player, been busy on TV and now start at the right place with coaching. Pick the right school, Klofies (Waterkloof) had an excellent year and look like Naas will take them into the next step. Just to give the indication to where SA Schoolboy rugby levels is heading is to just look from my stoep at Paarl Gim. Louis Koen also full time in charge of them and looking at their fixture list so impressive to see them start in early Feb at Alan Zondags Rugby Academy with three days of trials and top coaching.

Anyway this one is about Naas about to start his coaching career and just been qualified in SA Bok Smart program

Rugby365
Bok Naas is BokSmart
Wed, 23 Nov 2011 16:50

2507-5544-0-0_2639432.jpg

The legendary Naas Botha will try his coaching hand at school level first

Naas Botha, former Springbok captain and one of the greatest Springboks of all time, has become one of the 30,000 coaches and referees to have qualified through a BokSmart rugby safety workshop, in preparation to take up a role as head coach of the first team of Hoërskool Waterkloof in Pretoria.

The BokSmart qualification - run by the South African Rugby Union (SARU) in conjunction with the Chris Burger/Petro Jackson Players' Fund which sees to injury prevention and to the needs of injured players - is compulsory for anyone who wants to coach or referee at any level of rugby in South Africa.

Botha, who represented South Africa in 28 Tests between 1980 and 1992, was the 29,934th person to be certified from 1,301 BokSmart courses presented across South Africa since the programme's launch in July 2009.

"I really enjoyed the course and found it incredibly insightful," said Botha.

"BokSmart is great for rugby in South Africa and I believe that it could be beneficial to parents to also attend such courses, just for them to understand the code of conduct around the game better, which will probably lead to better behaviour next to the field.

"I'm excited about getting involved in coaching full time and found the BokSmart course essential in my preparations for next season. I can see it acting as a forum where the laws of the game can be taken into account and possibly even adapted to make the game even safer."

Dr Wayne Viljoen, BokSmart Manager at SARU, lauded Botha for being so interactive at the course, and sharing some of his wealth of experience with the group: "This adds immense value when someone of Naas's stature gets behind it and participates on the programme.

"It's fantastic that the programme is also picking up momentum, as every serious injury is one injury too many. BokSmart is world-class rugby safety programme that bears comparison with any initiative from among the top-tier rugby playing countries. Any player, coach or referee will benefit from the message we're trying to spread."

Arno Grobbelaar, a BokSmart Trainer for the Blue Bulls Rugby Union, said it was hugely beneficial to have someone of Botha's standing and experience in attendance.

Grobbelaar added: "BokSmart is not only about safer rugby, but also about sensible coaching.

"Winners play smart rugby and Naas is a proven winner on the field. Through his involvement at SuperSport, where he analyses rugby matches from the perspective of coaches, players and referees, it was extremely valuable to have him on the course.

"Naas took full part in the sessions," stressed Grobbelaar, "[he] made suggestions and regularly engaged the other participants on the course on their areas of knowledge and expertise.

"In the end, BokSmart places the player's future in safer hands by bringing together the various parties that play important roles in the safety of the game. Ultimately, we'd like to see a more professional and safer approach to rugby."

A former South African Olympic track and field champion, Gert Potgieter, also attended the course.

Potgieter is currently involved in a non-governmental organisation that uses sport as an upliftment tool in formerly disadvantaged communities; he is also involved in introducing rugby into these communities.

If you want to see more detail from the Bok Smart program

http://www.sarugby.co.za/boksmart/default.aspx

Rugby365
Coach Naas joins Klofies
Tue, 25 Oct 2011 12:47

The legendary Naas Botha will try his coaching hand at school level first

Naas Botha, regarded by many as the best flyhalf in the world in his playing days and still rated the best flyhalf South Africa has ever had, will join Hoërskool Waterkloof's coaching staff for 2012. He stopped playing in 1992 but has kept close to the game ever since.

Botha began his first-class career with Northern Transvaal in 1977, succeeding JP (Joos) le Roux in the No.10 jersey.

In his first season as a Blue Bull Botha was involved in their 41-26 victory against a strong World Invitation XV and guided the Blue Bulls to a 27-12 win in the Currie Cup Final at Loftus Versfeld against Orange Free State in September.

He told members of the press that he will be coaching the first team of Hoërskool Waterkloof and will also assist with the other teams. He said it was not a financial decision but rather a look at the bigger picture. The bigger picture was to return to the Blue Bulls as coach one day, "but first I've got to crawl before I can walk".

"My decision to join schools rugby was a rugby decision - I have a long-term plans in coaching," he added.

Botha who has been a rugby analyst for SuperSport for 18 years, acknowledged that it wouldn't be easy - but he said: "I will take one step at a time."

He also revealed that many clubs had asked him to join them, but he explained: "I felt that it was better to start at school level, but being a rugby analyst is very different from being a coach.

"I have decided to join Hoërskool Waterkloof because they have very good rugby structures in place."

Botha will continue with his job as rugby analyst at SuperSport.

He said that 90% of his job at the school would be during the week and on Saturday mornings.

Klofies had a great team this year winning three trophies - NuPower Tuks, City Cup and the Beeld Trophy. Waterkloof also had 14 players in the Blue Bulls Craven Week side.

SA Top 20
FNB Top 20 - 8 September (The final one for 2011):

1. Grey College of Bloemfontein
2. Affies
3. Selborne
4. Paarl Boys' High
5. Monument
6. Waterkloof
7. Noord-Kaap
8. Queen's
9. KES
10. Dale