• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

National Academy 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
ARU have posted up the new 7's squad, so they are all in the academy. I hear some clubs are starting to publicly announce which of their players have made it so I expect something official will come out in the next few days.

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I know Sydney clubs were asked to nominate 3 players for inclusion in the academy. I also am led to believe that any announcement won't come until after the HSC is finished

A

Albert

Players have completed the induction camp, and have commenced training in Sydney. I don't know specific names, but approx 30-35 players, plus the 7s squad. No doubt there'll be a formal announcement soon. People 'in the know' at each club, plus player managers, have the list of players.

Antony

Alex Ross (28)
It's a silence of three parts... one for all you Rothfuss fans

Really didn't expect to see Rothfuss get mentioned on here. I wonder how he'd write it..

"The first silence was the lack of an academy announcement; the second silence was the emptiness of the fields in the off-season; and the third silence, greatest of all, was the management-speak."

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
Really didn't expect to see Rothfuss get mentioned on here. I wonder how he'd write it..

"The first silence was the lack of an academy announcement; the second silence was the emptiness of the fields in the off-season; and the third silence, greatest of all, was the management-speak."

The third silence, greatest of all, was the patient cut-flower sound of JON waiting to die

Scott Allen

Trevor Allan (34)
Went to a meeting with ARU tonight explaining the Academy - lists of all players in Sydney and Brisbane were put up in the screen but don't ask me to remember them all - the presentation is being sent to attendees over the next few days so I presume the lists will be public by then. Confirm Sydney players have started and Brisbane players are going through their induction over the next two days.

Lots of interesting stuff came out of the meeting. Will put together a blog article providing more info and we are hoping to have a guest on the podcast from the ARU soon to explain. Nucci was there as the Academy falls within his area - he was really good.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Went to a meeting with ARU tonight explaining the Academy - lists of all players in Sydney and Brisbane were put up in the screen but don't ask me to remember them all - the presentation is being sent to attendees over the next few days so I presume the lists will be public by then. Confirm Sydney players have started and Brisbane players are going through their induction over the next two days.

Lots of interesting stuff came out of the meeting. Will put together a blog article providing more info and we are hoping to have a guest on the podcast from the ARU soon to explain. Nucci was there as the Academy falls within his area - he was really good.

more importantly did you like all the new branding up over the place and our nice new trophy cabinet?

Scott Allen

Trevor Allan (34)
Pretty spectacular Reg. I couldn't work out what all the trophies are though - didn't know there were that many around.

Scott Allen

Trevor Allan (34)
Just the best players - no geographical or age quotas - also no requirement for players covering all positions. As they told us, if the Brisbane academy has five wingers out of the 30 they currently have, so be it. There is also no maximum number of players in the academies - main criteria is "do they have the potential to play Super Rugby". If so, they want them in the academies.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Sounds good smells good.

Hope there is not a lot of whingeing if ex-Oz Schoolboys are picked. Shouldn't be if they are nominated by the clubs who couldn't give a rats about the pedigree of players.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I heard about this today, most are ex-Aus Schoolboys.

Sydney based players have already been training.

James Buchanan

Trevor Allan (34)
Is there an age limit to the Academy players?

This implies not:

Just the best players - no geographical or age quotas - also no requirement for players covering all positions. As they told us, if the Brisbane academy has five wingers out of the 30 they currently have, so be it. There is also no maximum number of players in the academies - main criteria is "do they have the potential to play Super Rugby". If so, they want them in the academies.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
This is a very interesting initiative by the ARU. In the past the ARU has been accused of somehow getting players they have chosen in their junior NTS teams into schools rep teams and later giving them preferred treatment for selection in Oz U/19 teams and more recently Oz U/20 teams.

I'm not saying this was, or is, the case, or not, but if clubs are nominating the players for the national academy then no one can complain too much even if players are ex-Oz Schools players.

I look forward to seeing how it works.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Is their a limit on how many players each club can nominate?

Maybe if they enforced such a limit (not so much for final academy positions but at least for trail positions) than it would lead to a more even spread of talent across the clubs as up and coming players would know that if they go to one of the stronger clubs they might not get the academy nomination. Not necessarily a bad thing in my mind, as long as concessions are made for guys who played junior rugby for the club.

Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.