• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

National Rugby Championship 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gibbo

Ron Walden (29)
This is also a step up for the Shute Shield/Premier Rugby Referees. Hopefully some more of our homegrown referees will take the step up in Super Rugby and then into Test matches. Australian (grown) referees are vastly under represented at the top level

T

TOCC

This is also a step up for the Shute Shield/Premier Rugby Referees. Hopefully some more of our homegrown referees will take the step up in Super Rugby and then into Test matches. Australian (grown) referees are vastly under represented at the top level

Yep, it's not just the refs who will benefit from this competition, referees and coaches also stand to win from it as well.

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
Did anyone else struggle last night with the fact that we had two teams in very similar kits, then we put the referees in a similar colour and to top it off we played with a ball that was the same colour as the team jerseys - must have been a broadcasters dream!!!

I think about it from the player's perspective too.
When you're upside down, or making split second decisions under pressure on whether a player in your peripheral vision is a team mate or opposition the colours of the kits make a real difference.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
This is simply a case of the ARU asking the JVs to put themselves together, without time to properly govern it as Super and Club Rugby run in parallel.

The JVs in question have legitimate claims to the colours, and the ARU didn't have the time to veto anything. Plus its a bit stiff that you'd tell someone busting their arse to become part of your comp to go re-design their jersey! :)

Away jerseys next year will help.

But even the soccer WC fucked it up with a few of their rules. Netherlands (Orange) and Spain (Dark Red) were deemed a clash (Spain were "home" team), so Netherlands changed to their away strip of Navy Blue. But then both sides were in a "dark" kit, and Spain's away strip is black.

So Spain had to make a third strip as white. Just for that.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
The crowds seem to have been better than some of the critics expected.:)

A lot of tries scored across all matches, but Im sure the defence will improve as teams spend longer together.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)

A lot of tries scored across all matches, but Im sure the defence will improve as teams spend longer together.

Yeah, and the positive rugby played should help to draw more to the games in the future hopefully. The defence of the teams will stiffen up but I think the endeavour will continue. Which should make for great rugby.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
After Round 1

H2aNFkH.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_National_Rugby_Championship#Standings

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Not a great start for the Sydney teams but I think they'll improve in the coming weeks. Still seeing as the club heavy Spirit overcame the Brumbies laden Vikings that they and Melbourne are definitely in poll position.

2 of the 3 Sydney teams played away first up - and the Rams was the only real whitewash. They might have spent less time together as Eastwood and Souths played in the grand final last week.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I
2 of the 3 Sydney teams played away first up - and the Rams was the only real whitewash. They might have spent less time together as Eastwood and Souths played in the grand final last week.

I expect them to improve as they become more familiar with one another. The main Rams squad didn't get together until early this week with the weather not helping. Most of these guys haven't played with one another. Same could be said of the Qld teams but the NSW teams have the least number of Super Rugby players on their individual rosters.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Interesting that most are expect the Queensland teams to be in the second half of the ladder. On paper, City looks to be in the top four, I'd say, although they may have issues getting their stars on the park who you thought would have been there originally (Genia, Cooper, Horwill, Hanson, Browning, Gill, Taps, Turner, etc).

Is that a hang over from the Reds poor Super Rugby season, or from the ARC where the Brisbane teams were horrible?

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Interesting that most are expect the Queensland teams to be in the second half of the ladder. On paper, City looks to be in the top four, I'd say, although they may have issues getting their stars on the park who you thought would have been there originally (Genia, Cooper, Horwill, Hanson, Browning, Gill, Taps, Turner, etc).

Is that a hang over from the Reds poor Super Rugby season, or from the ARC where the Brisbane teams were horrible?

Probably more to do with the Reds form. Though if City were able to get their entire compliment on the pitch at any one time they'd be very dangerous. From my perspective the teams who are going to find this season the most difficult are the Sydney teams. They have to stretch the pro players further a field. While that's great for exposing talent it will take a little to get up to speed.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)

There are still a pack of c**twads out there though. This fool and another saying "no one is aware of this comp!" Which is ironic given they were clearly aware of it...

uploadfromtaptalk1408887591878.jpg

hawktrain

Ted Thorn (20)
Full replays and highlights going up on ARU youtube as we speak, only game not up there yet is the Country vs Rams game.

Parse

Bill Watson (15)
Soooo... will we be getting the NRC fixtures/results and table on the front page of GAGR like we do with the Super Rugby?

Hope those in power here can organise this.

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
Maybe he's been doing some yo-yo stuff between Grade and Colts like Deegan and Hanigan at the Wicks, Sandell and McCalman at The Corporation, & Natoli (before heading off to GarlicLand) at MMM.
I think that of the men you mmmentioned... How good a surfer is Fabian Natoli going to be after his stint in France? Lacanau? Biarritz?
Ahh the days of a young Westlake come pouring back mon ami..
Où est le surf et Êtes-vous marié?

Status
Not open for further replies.