• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

National Rugby Championship 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
I hope this is true..

It will be interesting to see what happens when the NRL/AFL finals begin, Foxsports won't have as much content to broadcast and will have some spots open up which could be suitable for the NRC.

With the broncos unlikely to make it much further a potential NRC debut for Hunt post NRL finals would have to be looking particularly appetizing.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
And with Reds Rugby putting their streaming expertise into the system up there, it could be special. Bring him in on a home game and make sure EVERYONE knows about it. Hopefully the servers melt.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
And with Reds Rugby putting their streaming expertise into the system up there, it could be special. Bring him in on a home game and make sure EVERYONE knows about it. Hopefully the servers melt.

If the notice is there Fox may well jump in and take it. Wouldn't be a bad result though I suppose I'd rather it was an away game, given I can already see all the home ones. Looking at the draw and assuming it's for City, round 7 vs the Rams at Pirtek would probably be the one of most value to the comp as a whole.

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)
Fox sports streamed the Australian Barbarians on fox sports.com.au when they played canada in 2011.

Foxtel Play/Go shows sky news as a free test channel. It would be good if we could get any of the streamed NRC stuff to feed into a "free sports" channel on that platform as that would enable viewing on Apple devices as well as anything running foxtel play (like samsung tvs/blu ray and xbox 360).

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
No chance of Hunt playing NRC. The Reds just signed him for a heap of money to play for the Reds. They will give him an off season to put on 5-10 kgs and become a destructive runner again.

James M7

Allen Oxlade (6)
Maybe it has been mention somewhere in GAGR before , but I have a question. The NRC was form to promote and further increase the exposure of local talent who wish to try and make a career out of this game and so the gap between club level and super rugby was not such big jump. So my question is , so does that mean every player playing in this new NRC comp is eligible to play for the Wallabies?? If they are not why pick them in front of local talent.??

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
The majority of Blokes playing in the NRC would have played either Super Rugby, Club Rugby, or both within Australia this season. There are a few exceptions, off the top of my head, Steve Mafi (Australian born Tonga international Lock/Blindside, signed for the Force in 2015), Cameron Treloar (Aussie Lock played in France for the last decade, swan song for NSW Country) and a couple of Pasifika boys signed for 1 or 2 NSW sides.

Most of these blokes would be Australian eligible. Of the rest, they're split into Blokes who could be eligible to play for Aus after residency (e.g. Telusa Veainu and Sefanaia Naivalu of the Rising), or players who've been internationally capped by a Pacific Nation, either at Full level or Sevens.

The experience that the other 29 blokes on the field would get playing with a full professional like Steve Mafi would be a bit more important than the 80 minutes into a Lock who could simply be journeyman player.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
So my question is , so does that mean every player playing in this new NRC comp is eligible to play for the Wallabies?? If they are not why pick them in front of local talent.??

Almost all the players are eligible to play for the Wallabies.

This competition isn't just about development. It's a national championship involving all but the top 25 or so players in the country. The aim for the teams should be to win the title, not simply to develop players for higher levels.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
And let's not forget one salient point: development of match officials.

We have been sorely lacking of late, and these guys also need support and training to get up to international standard.

Did I say "guys"? We had Amy Perret running the line at Parra Stadium on Thursday night. She's only recently been elevated to full refereeing of Shute Shield games, and this is a great step moving forward.

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)
And let's not forget one salient point: development of match officials.

We have been sorely lacking of late, and these guys also need support and training to get up to international standard.

Did I say "guys"? We had Amy Perret running the line at Parra Stadium on Thursday night. She's only recently been elevated to full refereeing of Shute Shield games, and this is a great step moving forward.

Wasn't she the one that just refereed the women's RWC final?

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Yep. Good ref - doesn't love herself like some of them, and the boys don't give her much shit either. I've had a female ref in Subbies once or twice. Most blokes don't know what to do when their brotherly instincts kick in and they want to go "aw ref!" then realise they're whining to a chick ;)

Kate Elizabeth

Herbert Moran (7)
We have Rachel Horton up here as well - first Prems match this year. Knows her rugby bloody well. With the rise of 7s because of the Olympics, we should have more 7s and 15s refs available across both genders and making a positive impact in NRC as well. Much needed as you say Pfitzy.

Pass it to Dunning!

Bob Loudon (25)
If I'm reading the websites correctly there seems to be a big difference in prices for the matches eg Rays $15 an adult Rams $29 an adult. Is this right !!!
The Rams had it half-price if you liked them on Facebook, so maybe it was a ploy to get more followers. But it didn't seem to attract any more punters.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
It seems to me that the majority of gate fees are $15 per adult. At Bond Uni its free cause there is no fence.

T

Train Without a Station

We were sitting behind the posts in the second half speculating how easy it would be to to purchase GA then sit in one of the open air corporate boxes!

Status
Not open for further replies.