• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

National Rugby Championship 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Most Premier Rugby Competitions are under way, or about to start in the next week or two.

So who knows what is happening with NRC 2015.

FoxSports have committed to the competition for the next 5 years, although there may be some changes.

Assuming that the same teams (or a very close facsimile) will compete in this years NRC, has anything been happening recently in terms of squad selections, Coaches. and Assistant Coaches.

Wicks and Beasts seem to have embraced their country roots, and there doesn't seem to be any talk of a Wicks only entry.

Sydney Stars probably underestimated the number of "their" professional players that would be released to them when they made their initial bid to "sort of" go it alone last year, and they essentially had to rely on their Shute Shield team, with a couple of invited guests. I reckon that they will not make the same mistake again, and will be fairly active in the market to attract some fringe pro players to the Inner West.

Many of the NRC teams outside NSW have great support from the local Super Rugby Franchise and don't need to do too much over the Premier Rugby season to stay "current". With the four NSW based franchises a marriage of convenience, operating independently of the Waratahs, they will be at a bit of a disadvantage during the Premier Rugby/Super Rugby season.

Have the Rams, Rays, Eagles and Stars had any squad meetings or sessions to maintain some form of readiness for season 2015?

Is it safe to assume that QRU will divide up their contracted players to the same franchises they were allocated to in 2014?

Will we see more of the Developing Player or Franchise U20 selections playing in curtain raiser games?

No new news on the official NRC website at http://www.rugby.com.au/nrc/Home.aspx since last year.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
it'll be interesting to see where the NRC players signed to 'unassociated' super rugby sides end up, e.g. does Dargaville stay at the stars or move to the Vikings?

NDale

Bob McCowan (2)
Cheers mate (BigSteve), I'm new to writing and enjoying it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheHam

Allen Oxlade (6)
3 point conversion has been scrapped. Think penalties and drop goals will remain 2.
Probably a good thing.

RUNNING RUGBY HERE TO STAY

IT was one of the most unusual rule changes introduced to the inaugural National Rugby Championship, and the three-point conversion is set to get the flick in 2015.

While many of the rule changes that promote more attacking rugby — including quick throw-ins even if the ball is touched on the way out, and 30 seconds to set and feed a scrum — have been embraced, the added value of conversions has met opposition.

Goal-kickers had significant influence on games last year despite penalty goals and drop goals being reduced to two points, because the three-point conversions meant two of those were more valuable than a try.

From: www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/rugby/quade-coopers-toulon-talks-compound-queensland-reds-in-house-angst-among-players/story-fnp0m104-1227306894208

Joe King

Dave Cowper (27)
3 point conversion has been scrapped. Think penalties and drop goals will remain 2.

Will a potential 7 points compared to 2 be enough to inspire teams to almost always go for the line out/try rather than the kick for goal when they get a penalty? I hope so.

Pass it to Dunning!

Bob Loudon (25)
I don't like ditching the three-point conversion. Australia has been struggling lately with high-quality kickers. The two-point penalty goal diminishes the value of kicking, but the three -point conversion makes up for it. Without it, teams will be less inclined to include a good kicker in their side.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
But the point I made during the comp (to anyone who would listen) is that while it will increase the accuracy of kickers from inside about 35 metres - the typical distance of a conversion, it will ruin anyone who wants to land the critical long bombs you get in Test rugby: the 45+ metre kick to win you the game.

T

TOCC

If your going to claim the NRC will ruin long kickers firstly the the question needs to be asked did the old system encourage the development of long kickers?

How many Australian kickers at Super Rugby level can comfortably land a 45m penalty goal? 2 maybe 3..

To me they says the old system didn't exactly churn out a large number of accurate kickers, the Reds have been kicking at barely 50% for 2015... That's of no fault of the NRC's..

So how can you ruin something which doesn't exist?.....

NDale

Bob McCowan (2)
Yea I agree Pfitzy but there will still be that 45+ metre kick to win the game on a tied or close game.
It will however, limit the draw of doing it consistently throughout the game.
The NRC is a good place to trial these laws though, but it doesn't take much to look at how it works, as 2 points for a conversion and penalty is what you receive in the NRL.
There are still teams going for penalties early and at the back end of the game, not as much through the middle.
In the Sharks v Newcastle last week, there were 3 penalties kicked in the first 20 minutes.

NDale

Bob McCowan (2)
Agreed TOCC, also the NRC didn't exist until last year.
So it can't have to much of an impact on kickers as they play the "standard" point system for 80% of their season

T

TOCC

The NRC15 laws will actually see the penalty goals respectively worth more, it's likely this will see an increase in penalty goals from 2015.

IRB laws= 2.3 penalty goals/converted try
NRC14= 4 penalty goals/converted try
NRC15= 3.5 penalty goals/converted try

I would actually like to see the statistics of shots at goals compared to Super Rugby, given the number of tries in the NRC I wouldn't be surprised to see a NRC kicker have more shots at goal then your standard super rugby kicker.

Joe King

Dave Cowper (27)
It's tricky to try and use the NRC to develop players well in all facets of the game, as well as turn the heads of those who might have thought rugby is a bit boring. But I think the NRC is getting that balance pretty right. And it may even develop parts of our game, that give us an advantage in Super Rugby and Test rugby. There is club and everything under it, and Super Rugby above it. I don't think less penalty goals is going to harm us much. But let's see how it goes for a bit.

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
jerseys.jpg

My opinion on better managing the jerseys (so they don't all end up yellow)

T

TOCC

Great work... Let's just hope the ARU enforces alternate jerseys this year as well

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Sorry but I don't think those help that much. Eagles and Stars look identical. Both are close to the Spirit and City. Why is no one in lighter blue.

Status
Not open for further replies.