• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

National U/16 Championships 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Day 2 results
QLD White 24 v NSW Country 27
NSW Schools 22 v Western Australia 13

Sydney Juniors 29 v Brumbies 14
QLD Red 50 v Victoria 7

No games today

Round 3 tomorrow
Western Australia v NSW Country Riverview / Oval 1 1030
NSW Schools v QLD White Riverview / Oval 1 1500

Pool B
Victoria v Brumbies Riverview / Oval 1 0910
QLD Red v Sydney Juniors Riverview / Oval 1 1340

DIVISION 2 Results and draw
Tasmania 15 v National Indigenous 48
Northern Territory 17 v South Australia 48

30/09/2010
National Indigenous v Northern Territory Riverview / Oval 2 1000
Tasmania v South Australia Riverview / Oval 2 1430

1/10/2010
Northern Territory v Tasmania Riverview / Oval 2 0840
National Indigenous v South Australia Riverview / Oval 2 1000

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Even though they have lost both of their games thus far I have to say I'm greatly encouraged by the results the WA boys have been able to muster. They have lost but not by a great deal. For those who have been there would you say that the overall standard of the WA team has risen of late.

supporter

Sydney Middleton (9)
Even though they have lost both of their games thus far I have to say I'm greatly encouraged by the results the WA boys have been able to muster. They have lost but not by a great deal. For those who have been there would you say that the overall standard of the WA team has risen of late.
----------------

Agree. They deserve repect from the QLD White and NSW Schools after their last two games.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Why don't QLD enter a QLD State/Junior squad to accomodate those who don't attend QLD GPS schools.

The Queensland teams are picked from schoolboy rugby, club rugby and state champs. They pick about 100 kids at the start and cull them down each week at training. The system works quite well as some very good talent can be found. The truth of the matter though is that the majority of the talent is at GPS schools.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
It sounds like the QLD system is a more fair approach.

Schoolboys in NSW if they are playing Club rugby as well get two bites of the cherry, NSW Schools and Sydney Juniors/NSW Country, to get representative honours.

The reality is all NSW 15 year olds are in some form of school by law, so the NSW Schools team seems a bit of an anachronism. If the playiong standard in the Juniors competition is not high enough to get enough kids into the State teams, then they need to take a good hard look at their coaching and development procedures to become more competitive.

Why not a NSW I, NSW Country and NSW Metro team?

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)

We've certainly come a long way at junior level in the last decade or so and it's fantastic for the growth of the game here. I would also say that the influx of expat families (especially from RSA) in the current generation has most definitely helped. Thank you mining boom!

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Anybody been at the tournament yet? I couldn't go on Monday and Tuesday but am going tomorrow and Friday.

Working Class Rugger must be right: that was a very skinny win by NSW Schools over WA Schools. Looks like the Wild West has some good young hombres out there.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Thanks for the explanations re: Queensland Rugby teams. Quite a few of the people I know who have something to do with Rugby in WA have been saying for a while that from the U16's down that a whole new level of talent is coming through. One that will be able to match it with the big boys. But to be fair most had their sights on this year's U14's to be the first team to be truly competitive (heard alot of good things about the Kalamunda and Joondalup teams). Pretty sure one of them toured Queensland last year as U13s trouncing their opposition in every game. Its good to see the level increasing and may it continue. Having Junior rugby strong across the country will greatly assist the game in the future.

supporter

Sydney Middleton (9)
Anybody been at the tournament yet? I couldn't go on Monday and Tuesday but am going tomorrow and Friday.

Working Class Rugger must be right: that was a very skinny win by NSW Schools over WA Schools. Looks like the Wild West has some good young hombres out there.
-------------------

Western Aust had better second half that NSW as they over the line with 2 tries. I rate their back better than NSW as they break NSW line easily and score their tries.

FTS

Billy Sheehan (19)
Supporter, see any future home grown Wallabies amongst them?

10. Steven Komene and 13. Chance Peni played schoolboys for WA and are quite a handful once returning to 16s. Komene very small but very smart and works very well with his forwards, while Peni is big fast and strong with good footwork.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Blame that on the fact that GPS schools are handing out the scholarships in QLD willy nilly, a truer indication of where the talent came from initially would be if someone looked for where all the players were schooled in year 7. Not a whinger for scholarships by any means, I think they provide great opportunities to those that could normally not afford such a thing; and if you found this number out you'd see that they're not in any way making either QLD side by means of where they're educated. Instead it's moreso a case of just where they happen to be right now.

I'm being a bit pedantic but in QLD secondary school starts in Grade 8. Would be an interesting stat though. I do know a few guys who have been on "scholarships" since grade 8 (not officially rugby ones but it does play a part in the selection)

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Sydney Juniors beat QLD Red
QLD White beat NSW Schools

Why can't there be NSW I, II, III and QLD I & II like there is for Opens? All these other names are just confusing

Status
Not open for further replies.