• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

National U/16 Championships 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Cat

Sydney Middleton (9)
Had to take my son for x-rays so missed the games this morning and just made it back in time for the NSW Schools v NSW Country game.

After yesterdays display by NSW Country I must admit I was prepared for a slaughter today. Three minutes into the game and from a scrum deep in their own half NSW Schools passed the ball along the back line for the No.11 to score in the corner. A beautiful kick from the sideline saw them race to a 7-0 lead.

Schools won the ball from the kick off and kicked deep into Country territory, their full back failed to find touch with a poor clearing kick and it cost them dearly with the schools No.12 running through the middle to score under the posts after 5 minutes. 14-0.

From the restart Schools won the ball deep in their territory and passed the ball along the back line for their No.22 to run down the wing and score under the posts. 21-0 after 7 1/2 half minutes.

Good pressure by Country saw schools knock down a pass and from the resulting penalty they threatened the Schools try line by taking the tap. Scrappy play saw Schools pick up a loose ball and run down the wing. A lobbed basket ball pass that went metres forward, (to the ARU official who was taking stats and said it wasn't. I told you so! :p), also helped them gain valuable ground but they gave a penalty away in the first ruck 60 metres down field. Country then returned the favour but infringing and a tap and run saw Schools down in Country territory. Another ball along the back line and another forward pass (I saw that one too) saw a try under the posts. How come I can see these forward passes and I'm looking through a lens? 28-0 after 17 minutes.

Country then began to get into a rhythm and pressured School's line but to no avail and play then continued back and fore between each teams 22 line. With Schools attacking on the Country 22 a ball was knocked forward into the hands of the Country No.12 and with a duck and a turn he was through the back line and racing to the corner. A beautiful out wide conversion saw the whistle blown for HT with the score at 28-7.

Country now had the strong wind in their backs, were more determined and were prepared to hassle the Schools side. A ball stolen in a maul by the Country No.8 on the 22 saw Schools under pressure, and a few pick and drives saw the Country No.9 go over in the corner on the 34 minute mark. 28-12.

Schools then began to pressure Country again, although the backline passing wasn't as fluent as in the 1st half. Little mistakes allowed Country to regain the ball make ground back into Schools territory by breaking through the Schools line. A kick into the corner almost saw Country scoring with the Schools No.15 just managing to get the ball down in the in goal area ahead of the Country No.11.

Country weren't giving in without a fight, however, a scrum infringement inside the oppositions half saw Schools run the ball from the tap, passing along the line, and then back again to the other side to gain an overlap so as to score out wide. 33-12 after 51 minutes.

Schools knocked forward from the restart and from the scrum Country were able to attack once again. A grubber kick on the Schools 22 (shaking my head :mad:) into the legs of the defenders allowed Schools to regain the ball. An infringement a little up field saw Schools kick poorly for touch and only gain five metres. They then lost the lineout and Country again pressured making ground to the Schools 22. Another grubber kick, better luck on the next set of six, (can't you tell I hate them :mad:) resulted in a knock forward and a scrum feed to Schools. From the clearing kick Schools were penalised for offside which allowed Country once again to attack the opposition only to be held up over the line adjacent to the posts. Country attacked from the 5 metre scrum only to be denied on the line a number of times and Schools finally being penalised for a ruck infringement. From the tap Country passed the ball wide and from a pick and drive saw the No.1 go over in the corner right on the final whistle.

Final score - NSW Schools 33 v NSW Country 17

Schools passed the ball beautifully along the backs in the first half but were generally scrappy in the second. Full credit to Country, they should be proud of themselves as they could of dropped their heads at 28-0 but they didn't. At 28-12 if they had used the wind and kicked to the corners there was always a chance that the lineout throws would not have been straight.

Will see what I can do with videos tomorrow.

Delphy

Ward Prentice (10)
Small-DSC04233(1).JPG

Delphy

Ward Prentice (10)
Perfect timing Top Cat. Your match report nestled in the middle of the Schools v Country pics. :cool:

The Spectator

Herbert Moran (7)
Can anyone tell me if the Queensland sides are true 1 and 2 sides or are they "mixed ability" teams? i.e. talent spread across the teams.

I know it has been said before ad nauseum, but isn't it time for NSW to have a top 1 and 2 side, maybe also a combined states (barbarians) as we all know talented boys who missed out through a variety of reasons to contest at these championships? I can name 7 easily who would be not be out of place in this tournament.

NSW Schools have a strong backline but not as strong in the forwards and Sydney has the opposite. I would love to see a full strength NSW take on a full strength QLD, just like the big boys. It would certainly give the selectors performance benchmarks for 2014 and 2015.

Also, looks like the Lloydies are in the wrong comp for sure. I for one would love to see them chance their arm against other teams.

Three/four pools like state championships? Is 2014 time for change? or does no-one care as they are all moving on?

computerian

Frank Row (1)
First post here, checked out the Country v Schools yesterday - mainly to watch a couple of boys from my Club (Avoca Beach) and others I knew from the local Zone. Agree with Top Cat that better options in the 2nd half might have tightened the score up a bit more, Country do improve the more they play together as each game is like an extra training run for them. Their forwards were led very well by the strong #3, #8 had a real go against bigger opposition, when #2 came on after School had run up their big lead to nil his energy helped dry up clean ball for Schools, #9 a class act. I have some photos (concentrating on country) online at http://killcarepix.zenfolio.com/ctry16s2013 . They Country boys were helpful in scoring a couple in my corner
131001_ctry16_20.jpg

131001_ctry16_31.jpg

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Great referee positioning in the photo there. No need to go upstairs for that one.

Good photos Computerian.

Welcome aboard on the good ship Gaggerland.

zacf01

Stan Wickham (3)
Can anyone tell me if the Queensland sides are true 1 and 2 sides or are they "mixed ability" teams? i.e. talent spread across the teams.

I know it has been said before ad nauseum, but isn't it time for NSW to have a top 1 and 2 side, maybe also a combined states (barbarians) as we all know talented boys who missed out through a variety of reasons to contest at these championships? I can name 7 easily who would be not be out of place in this tournament.

NSW Schools have a strong backline but not as strong in the forwards and Sydney has the opposite. I would love to see a full strength NSW take on a full strength QLD, just like the big boys. It would certainly give the selectors performance benchmarks for 2014 and 2015.

Also, looks like the Lloydies are in the wrong comp for sure. I for one would love to see them chance their arm against other teams.

Three/four pools like state championships? Is 2014 time for change? or does no-one care as they are all moving on? [/quot

QLD Reds is the strongest team (ie QLD 1) with Qld White the 2nd team

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Had to take my son for x-rays so missed the games this morning and just made it back in time for the NSW Schools v NSW Country game.…

Thanks for the report Top Cat - I put it in the blog,

Delphy - thanks for the photos - I put a few of them in the blog.

Top Cat

Sydney Middleton (9)
Thanks for the report Top Cat - I put it in the blog,

Delphy - thanks for the photos - I put a few of them in the blog.

Got a bit carried away with that one :)

I'm uploading a video of the first half highlights to Youtube and even by reducing the quality and making the file size 1/4 of the original it is going to take 463 minutes to complete. Can't even get ADSL2 here yet they have NBN just across the road :(.

number 6

Allen Oxlade (6)
Got a bit carried away with that one :)

I'm uploading a video of the first half highlights to Youtube and even by reducing the quality and making the file size 1/4 of the original it is going to take 463 minutes to complete. Can't even get ADSL2 here yet they have NBN just across the road :(.

Can you please paste the youtube link? I'd like to see some of the match.
Hope your son's X-rays were break-free!

The Spectator

Herbert Moran (7)
Sydney 20- Vic 15. Game played before weather changed. Sydney dominated first half 20-3, running its bench players which is good to see. Vic came back in second half, scored in last stanza so again scoreline a bit flattering to the run of the game. Sydney 12 - Hawkins strangely yellow carded with 5 to go? Those closer might shed some light on that but didn't look too bad from the stands.

Sydney has No 4 - Leaver out with concussion and 16 - Tutanoa out (probably!) with dislocated shoulder in today's game. Like everyone else, the strapping is working well holding them all together.

Who will they play, Schools or Qld White?

Aurora Australis

Frank Nicholson (4)
Who will they play, Schools or Qld White?

Sydney 12 - Hawkins strangely yellow carded with 5 to go? Those closer might shed some light on that but didn't look too bad from the stands.

Didn't look as bad as any of the collection of cheep shots one of the Vic was taking, just ask Tutanoa!

Lord Lardy

Frank Row (1)
SYD JUN versus VIC was a fascinating game. SYD deservedly held a 20-3 lead at half-time. In the second half the VIC forwards totally dominated SYD. I didn't keep an exact count but there were only 2-3 minutes when the ball was in the VIC half. SYD received a warning from ref for foul play. They ended the game with 14. If the game had gone on another 5 minutes I doubt anyone in the crowd would have expected SYD to hold out. The VIC forwards had previously dominated ACT whilst thrashing them 45-5. Congrats to VIC forwards and well done SYD for holding out.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
QLD Reds (6T, 3C) comprehensively beat ACT (1T, 1PK) by 36 to 8 (H/T 15-8)

NSW Schools (3T, 3C, 3PK) comprehensively beat QLD Whites (1T, 1C) by 30 to 7 (H/T 20 - 0)

Final is repeat of last year. QLD Reds v NSW Schools.

QLD Red must be favourites.

The Spectator

Herbert Moran (7)
If the game had gone on another 5 minutes I doubt anyone in the crowd would have expected SYD to hold out.

I think your dreamin'! All the Sydney supporters had no doubts. Sydney was pacing itself with 1,2,3, and 12, off for the majority of the game and resting 4, 15. It is all about being match fit and injury free for Friday. Sydney looked like they wound down at 20-3.

Aurora Australis

Frank Nicholson (4)
SYD JUN versus VIC was a fascinating game. SYD deservedly held a 20-3 lead at half-time. In the second half the VIC forwards totally dominated SYD. I didn't keep an exact count but there were only 2-3 minutes when the ball was in the VIC half. SYD received a warning from ref for foul play. They ended the game with 14. If the game had gone on another 5 minutes I doubt anyone in the crowd would have expected SYD to hold out. The VIC forwards had previously dominated ACT whilst thrashing them 45-5. Congrats to VIC forwards and well done SYD for holding out.

And 30" shorter not so close

Top Cat

Sydney Middleton (9)
Can you please paste the youtube link? I'd like to see some of the match.
Hope your son's X-rays were break-free!

Thank you Number 6 it was a thumb dislocation which he has done before and will get fixed after this tournament.

I will post you the video link once I have successfully uploaded it. I let it run last night but it appears there is a glitch somewhere so I am in the process of uploading it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.