• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

National U/16 Championships 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Anyone from far afield prepared to offer up a form guide?

Qld Reds seem to the the form side from North.

Qld Whites with nothing to lose and all to prove often surprise with their form.

NSW Schools and Sydney Juniors look too close to separate. Schools have no trial form to judge them on. Juniors looked sharp against Country, but struggled a little against ACT.

NSW Country usually struggle a little with their combinations on Day 1 and Day 2, developing as the tournament wears on. Losing kids to city schools in Sydney and QLD means that this franchise will be playing off for the minor placings.

ACT are always tough competitors and reserve the right to surprise. They played a strategic game the other week and have an accurate goal kicking sniper who will keep the scoreboard ticking over in increments of 3.

No one expects Vic or WA to play off for the Gold Medal, and they relish the underdogs title. They always have some very talented players that would walk into either of the fancied NSW or QLD squads but struggle with player depth. Both typically play a physical game and opponents will know certainly know that they have played a game of footy afterwards.

F

fireball

Anyone from far afield prepared to offer up a form guide?

Qld Reds seem to the the form side from North.

Qld Whites with nothing to lose and all to prove often surprise with their form.

NSW Schools and Sydney Juniors look too close to separate. Schools have no trial form to judge them on. Juniors looked sharp against Country, but struggled a little against ACT.

NSW Country usually struggle a little with their combinations on Day 1 and Day 2, developing as the tournament wears on. Losing kids to city schools in Sydney and QLD means that this franchise will be playing off for the minor placings.

ACT are always tough competitors and reserve the right to surprise. They played a strategic game the other week and have an accurate goal kicking sniper who will keep the scoreboard ticking over in increments of 3.

No one expects Vic or WA to play off for the Gold Medal, and they relish the underdogs title. They always have some very talented players that would walk into either of the fancied NSW or QLD squads but struggle with player depth. Both typically play a physical game and opponents will know certainly know that they have played a game of footy afterwards.

F

fireball

Why ignore the indigenous side? Must be an oversight. Anyway they could well surprise, a lot of gifted league boys in the team who are already playing elite rep level many contracted to nrl clubs. May lack some union finesse but skill wise I'd back them against many of the others.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The Lloyd McDermott Team has been "ignored" above in my quick and dirty form quide because they play in Div II along with Tas, NT and South Aust. The latter three teams have also been ignored.

The Lloydies do pose an interesting challenge. On past performances they are far too good for Div II, but are they good enough for Div I? If you do promote them to Div I who do you drop to accommodate them and keep it to a nice "square" 8 team championship?

Like NSW Country and NSW Schools situation, the Lloydies often lose all their best performing athletes to the Div I State teams, which further reduces their ability to compete with the big boys in Div I. Given the choice, would a young indigenous lad prefer to play for his state or the Lloydies?

I've heard some whispers one of the cost cutting reforms on up for consideration for National U16's is that the Div II champs will be scaled back and may not be run in parallel with Div I champs (both opens and U16's). This is currently considered at the thought bubble level, but thought bubbles seem to become policy rather quickly at the moment, particularly when there seems to be some short term cost savings associated with that bubble.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Would forum members please let me know if they are attending matches at the Oz U/16 Championships and are willing to write a match report or two on some of the matches.

They need not be full-blown reports as we had every week for the GPS matches just the vibe of the flow of the game - the half-time score and full time score.

Who scored what try is not so important though you might want to write about some impressive movements or an exciting finish if you want to, or some other part of the game you found interesting.

Also give a mention about who stood out as being a likely star player after this year.

If a few people can do one match a day, or every other day, we can spread the work out and give a decent coverage for folks who can't be in Sydney to watch the Championships.

The reports don't have to be long - about 350 words will do. It's not as many as you would think.

This post already has 180 words.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
fireball, are there any Lloydies that we should be looking out for?

Dark Shark, Knockers, Sam Hauser, any gossip from North of the Tweed River? Any QLD correspondents coming down here that is prepared to write a match report or two, or a quick preview on who to watch out for?

WesternKiwi, I think your boy may have moved on but do you have any intelligence on WA preparations.

angrydog, Any ACT news, or can you dob in a Canberra based snout to give us a brief update?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
<snip>
As a parent from Victoria and fresh of the boat I thought the whole tournament was spectacular even if we under achieved as a team. It's a great venue, well organised and played in the right spirit that rugby is intended to be. Congratulations all, I look forward to next years as my son is one of the 15's who will hopefully be in next years as well.

Ps this is a great forum long may it continue!

I hope your boy is back again this year. As a returning veteran, you are obligated to divulge the good oil on the Victoria Squad preparations and form coming into the tournament, and to volunteer for a Match report or two. You know the rules.:)

donj

Allen Oxlade (6)
The Lloyd McDermott Team has been "ignored" above in my quick and dirty form quide because they play in Div II along with Tas, NT and South Aust. The latter three teams have also been ignored.

The Lloydies do pose an interesting challenge. On past performances they are far too good for Div II, but are they good enough for Div I? If you do promote them to Div I who do you drop to accommodate them and keep it to a nice "square" 8 team championship?

Like NSW Country and NSW Schools situation, the Lloydies often lose all their best performing athletes to the Div I State teams, which further reduces their ability to compete with the big boys in Div I. Given the choice, would a young indigenous lad prefer to play for his state or the Lloydies?

I've heard some whispers one of the cost cutting reforms on up for consideration for National U16's is that the Div II champs will be scaled back and may not be run in parallel with Div I champs (both opens and U16's). This is currently considered at the thought bubble level, but thought bubbles seem to become policy rather quickly at the moment, particularly when there seems to be some short term cost savings associated with that bubble.

donj

Allen Oxlade (6)
i know of at least half a dozen indigenous boys who opted not to trial for school or club and focus on the lloydies...it just means a lot more.

F

fireball

that would make sense. there is not one indigenous boy (to my knowledge) in either nsw schools or sydney and frankly that is appalling. rugby lets good indigenous kids slip through their grasp time and again, it is as bad as cricket. i know of several who were stars in gps at this age group...where are they? if you look at the numbers of indigenous boys in the nrl and in league junior rep sides rugby's failure is inexcusable. it certainly isn't talent that is holding them back. no wonder they go to rugby league. go the lloydies!

donj

Allen Oxlade (6)
that would make sense. there is not one indigenous boy (to my knowledge) in either nsw schools or sydney and frankly that is appalling. rugby lets good indigenous kids slip through their grasp time and again, it is as bad as cricket. i know of several who were stars in gps at this age group.where are they? if you look at the numbers of indigenous boys in the nrl and in league junior rep sides rugby's failure is inexcusable. it certainly isn't talent that is holding them back. no wonder they go to rugby league. go the lloydies!

donj

Allen Oxlade (6)
hear hear! i know of an indigenous boy who played for nsw rugby league, stars for his gps rugby team and yet ignored by rugby selectors. it baffles me and it is a shame.

The Spectator

Herbert Moran (7)

It's Dylan Grants fan club. Please. He will play in 2nds next year. Tom Wright is a lot stronger player and he was overlooked for the same teams.

donj

Allen Oxlade (6)
no not lost to union gladly. i predict we will see him in the joeys 1st XV next year. i don't think we are seeing anything as crass as racism here, i just think there is a cultural issue. some of the creativity, flair and spontaneity of the indigenous boys may not be as appreciated as it should be in the more structured game of rugby. rugby's loss though...imagine a wallabies with thurston, inglis, hodges, barba, fifita, et al.

donj

Allen Oxlade (6)
and that is another joke. how could tom not be there? whether it is dylan grant, or dylan mclachlan from scots, or ron streater mason, even travis blair - greg inglis's cousin no less - terrifically talented player who languishes in joeys c's while kids he'd run rings around play above him. rugby shockingly ignores indigenous kids and the proof is in the numbers who make it in other codes. as for dylan grant not playing 1sts...top try scorer for joeys 16's, quickest player in any grade...let's revisit that one next march.

Status
Not open for further replies.