• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

National U/16 Championships 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Day 1 Results Summary (unofficial)
Qld Red 57 Vic 24
Qld White 36 NSW Country 8 (17-3 H/T)
Syd Juniors 37 ACT 15 (25-5 H/T to Jnrs)
NSW Schools 40 WA 3 (28-3 H/T)

Wood Rat

Alfred Walker (16)
A hot day out there. For all the big lads
After establishing a good lead at oranges the sydney lads relaxed a little and let the brumbies back in with a penalty and converted try. Deserved points almost mimicking the first half start. Though the officials may like to watch the available video to review one of their points decisions but in the wash up this is not hugely significant
About 15 minutes into the 2nd period With the difference back to only 10 and Sydney in deep defence, I am guessing it was a safety break, to allow some refreshments needed in the heat, seemed to give the Sydney lads an opportunity to wake up again and proceed in the manner they were in the first half to finish with a couple more tries
I think the final score was 37/15
Tries for Sydney were scored in the backs and through the forwards I think reflecting the across the field dominance they held in this game, and a good team balance, a vast improvement on the pre season game two weeks ago, but left room for increased intensity should the weather turn cooler at any stage this week

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Safety rules dictate that when it is above 28 degrees (I think) they have to have a hydration break every 15 minutes.

Happened last year when the poor buggers were playing in 32+ degrees.

Happens in the early Soup trial games in Feb and March.

For many of the boys this will be their first intro into high performance stuff, like pre and post match weighing and replacing lost weight with fluids, post match recovery sessions, monitoring diet etc.

Delphy

Ward Prentice (10)
I have photos from Schools v WA. If someone can let me know the best way of posting and preferred size I will put some up

Delphy

Ward Prentice (10)
Small-DSC03644.JPG

will connor

Frank Row (1)
Terrace's; moroney and horon, and churchie's scott young are key players for qld red, and could well be major contributors to the teams success in the tournament

Delphy

Ward Prentice (10)
More tomorrow if people are interested. Hopefully there will be a few more of WA with ball in hand. Didn't have a lot of it today.

My take of the game was that WA were reasonable at the breakdown, more than handy at the set piece but have a lot of work to do with defensive structures. Tackling was often hesitant and high.

Schools were explosive and unrelenting in attack and extremely well organised on the occasions that they had to defend. Clearly deserving of the early tournament hype.

WA did work themselves into it and have more to show than this slightly nervous opening game. Bring it on.

Lord Lardy

Frank Row (1)
Qld V Vic review if anyone interested. Vic started well took 3-0 lead. Qld fought back with couple of quick tries. Qld stretched lead to 40-3 by early in 2nd half. Qld very dominant. Vic then fought back and it was 40-24 with about 10 mins to go. Qld got another try. Vic had a try disallowed as ref wanted Vic to have penalty instead. Qld late try. Match summary is Vic really struggled with tackling in their back line. Qld back line very effective. Forwards evenly matched. Ref had a shocker - he awarded lots of penalties to Vic as Qld didn't release player. Does anyone recall the IRB guidelines for when repeating same offence is punishable by yellow card. I thought it 4. Congrats to both teams for a game played in the true spirit of rugby union.

Status
Not open for further replies.