• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

National U/16 Championships 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
For the past couple of years, I usually copy and paste an updated version of last years U16 National Tournament thread starter to kick things off. - Usually this is the NSW team lists from the paper following the July U16 Schools tournament.

Not so this year, but old habits die hard.

It looks like the ARU have decided to cut their support for the National U16 tournament. Correspondence below.

From memory, I recall hearing a figure of $100k funding from ARU to the tournament.

What is that alleged $100k pays for and can it be done cheaper?

NSW JRU state champs run on the smell of an oily rag and they seem to do a fairly reasonable job at it.

Can we organise an alternate G&GR "sponsored" National U16 tournament? Plenty of people in Gaggerland offer frank and fearless advise on what the current mob are doing wrong.

What can be done differently to make the necessary savings to make the Championship still viable?

Airfares have been paid for by ARU. Make the teams raise the funds themselves.
Accommodation, food and medical have been paid for by ARU. Make the teams raise the funds themselves.
Ground Hire? How much would a school like TSS, Kings or Riverview actually charge? = plead poverty.
Referees, referee coaching etc. You need the best so arrange for sponsorship, or have the canteen fund decent referees.
Media Management. I've got one word - Lee Grant.

SJRU Response
So the SJRU (and NSW JRU it seems) response is to continue to do what they have always been doing. State champs in June Long weekend, Sydney vs Country games and a probable NSW JRU selection to take on all comers.
Last year the "all commers" that NSWJRU took on was U15's and U17's vs ACT and SJRU U16 vs ACT.

NSW Schools response
What are NSW Schools going to do about it? Nothing from their webpage. They will probably plough ahead with the U16 tournament at Knox where ISA, CAS, GPS (called Presidents Selection), AICES, Country SChools, and CHS play each other.
There just will not be the annual masonic player trading exercise going on between Schools, Sydney Juniors and Country Juniors as they select their teams for Nationals.

New Opportunities
ARU pulling out their sponsorship of the National U16's, should be seen as an opportunity to revisit the "pathway", and ask some questions such as:
a. Is there a role for any U16 talent development given the JGC focus on U15 and U17?
b. If so what form should it take, and who should run it, when should it be run, and who should be in it?
c. Where do the Shute Shield (and John Dent/Bris Prem) clubs/districts fit in to this on the player development continuum?
d. What role do the Super Rugby and or NRC franchises have in this?

Using the KISS principle, do we move to a NRC based development model where we roll out NRC teams at U16, U18, U20, Opens.
ARU can stay doing the JCG at U15 and U17's although it does seem to be a rather expensive top down development model.

The tradition of The Australian Schoolboy to be replaced with Australian U18 Rugby Team.
The Schoolboys may have a proud "brand" but times change and things move on.
I'm old enough to recall the long standing tradition of most people smoking everywhere in the workplace. As a "never-smoker" I'm glad that times have changed in that regard.
Who would have tought that people would play cricket in coloured clothing. Barefoot on the Lawn Bowling rink?

Where/What is the revised Pathway Strategy?
When Australian Rugby needs to have a measured strategy rolled out with stakeholder involvement from all levels regarding the "pathway", we seem to be getting policy development on the fly using the Federal Politics Thought Bubble Decision Making methodology that is delivering surprises at the last minute to those with most skin to lose in the game.

Finance is driving everything, and to be honest it should. Australian Rugby does not have the cash reserves or fiscal goodwill to spend as it has in the past. Uneconomic and non-productive practices must be terminated until there is money in the coffers to start behaving like a charitable organisation again.

Perhaps this thread should be called "Rugby's Pathway to Gold - How to Fix it", "Rugby's Pathway to Gold - What it should look like", "ARU Pathway - An Alternate version" or some such title.

GROWING THE GAME
Along with the strategy to deal with the elite (The Pathway), where is the strategy to grow the game, to get more players genuinely playing, not just attending a fan day?

What is the strategy to get everyone in Australian Rugby working off the same sheet of music that will spread the gospel of Heavensgame across this wide open brown land of ours, to convert the sports heathens from the dark side towards the light that is the game played in Heaven.

The laws of probability dictate that the more numbers you have involved, the greater the chances there are of unveiling organic talent. It is cheaper as well.
Rugby and Rugby Culture is too good to be limited to the affluent leafy suburbs of the Eastern Seaboard of Australia.
How is the centre going to help the grass roots volunteers and teachers get rugby (back) into the CHS system, the CCC system, and the AICES and other non-aligned Private school systems.

Does anyone think that a cashed up NRL and AFL are going to stop trying to storm the ramparts of Qld GPS, AAGPS, ISA, and CAS systems?

The ARU To Do List
What are (or should be) the top three things on the ARU and Australian Rugby To Do list?
1. Get more money
2. Get more people playing Rugby
3. Get a clear and unambigious pathway from Under 6's to Wallabies, with offramps along the way for those who just want to play the game for fun (that is most of us, by the way).
4. Win Bill and the Bled, (and the IRB 7's, Jnr RWC, Bingham Trophy, World 7's [boys and girls versions], Commonwealth and Olympic 7's Gold, TRC and SupeRugby).

FTA coverage will help achieve 1 and 2.

The Correspondence so far:

SJRU response to follow
RE: 2014 NATIONAL U16 CHAMPIONSHIPS
Dear CEOs and Game Development Managers,
As part of a number of proposals to reduce costs in 2014 and a round of conversations with each State Union, the ARU has made the difficult decision to cancel the 2014 National U16 Championships.
I appreciate that this decision will be disappointing for you and your stakeholders. We recognise that the National U16 Championships have been an important thread in the pathways of the participating State Unions and affiliates and they have worked valuably to provide opportunity for players at this level. However, we are confident that we have a development pathway that will continue to provide quality exposure and experiences for our talented young players – at state and regional representative levels, including quality offerings for players in the U16 age group.
In the past year in particular, we have done a lot of work to improve the development pathway for our players, coaches and match officials to ensure they can move from junior Rugby right through to the elite level. This work includes establishing the Junior Gold Cup (JGC) for Under 15 and Under 17 teams from across Australia; re-energising the national U20s program providing exposure to eight state/territories and regional areas to national competition; and expanding the Pacific Rugby Cup with the IRB, to include teams from our Super Rugby clubs. This is in addition to the existing junior and school programs to ensure the Rugby pathway continues to be one of the most accessible and varied in the Australian sporting landscape. It is important to communicate that none of the above listed new initiatives have been implemented at the expense of the National U16 Championships.
Through 2014 we will be engaging with all State Unions to further assess and review our development pathways. This process will include State Unions working with their respective stakeholders so that an aligned progressive pathway can continue to evolve and provide all participants with effective access and opportunities.
Through conversations held with many of you in the past few days, I recognise the desire to fill the U16 void in 2014 with alternative talent development and/or representative plans. In order for the ARU to most effectively support these plans, we would encourage you to share any ideas with us. As with all levels of the pathway, we will need to work together and align these activities to get the best results for participants.
I apologise for the relatively late notice of this decision – we were keen to explore all opportunities before having to take this significant step. Please do not hesitate to contact me on 0416 002 065 / ben.whitaker@rugby.com.au if you or your stakeholders have any questions.
Regards
Ben Whitaker
General Manager, Development Pathways

SJRU response

12 March 2014
To all SJRU Districts, Clubs and Players
We have been advised by the ARU today that the 2014 Under 16 National Championships have been cancelled.
We realise that many players, parents, coaches, and indeed Districts and Clubs, view this tournament as a prestigious stepping stone in the Representative pathway and will be greatly disappointed that it has been cancelled.
Sydney Juniors has immediately commenced discussions with Victoria and ACT to organise a tournament on the October long weekend along similar lines to the Under 16 Nationals. We will also be approaching the other States and inviting them to also participate. Further details of the proposed tournament will be distributed in the next few weeks.
In the meantime the SJRU will be choosing an Under 16’s team from the NSW Regionals on 28 and 29 June which will play NSW Country Juniors in Tamworth on 27 July.
Should you have any queries regarding the above please do not hesitate to email Kerry Brady the SJRU Competitions Manager at kbrady@nswrugby.com.au.

The ARU decision and the SJRU response have caused some discussion across multiple threads.

Perhaps we can corral all comments on "the Pathway" for U16's and the ARU decision in this thread.

Man on the hill

Alex Ross (28)
I think if we are honest, the “old” 16s national Championships was a pretty big affair and frankly I’m surprised they could get it done for your reported $100k. A quick visit to their web site http://www.rugby.com.au/tryrugby/Playing/CompetitionsResults/Under16.aspx shows just what they were looking to achieve.

I understand that in addition to the actual matches ALL participants (players, coaches, managers, referees, referee coaches et al) were ALL involved in further education activities across the course of the tournament and that everyone involved was billeted and fed at Iggies for the duration.

Without knowing the gritty details of precisely what Junior Gold does by way of education etc (i.e. drugs in sport, media in sport type learning that the old 16s covered off) I think that from all that I have heard, the concept has proved a qualified success – yes a few oddities in the logistics, but nothing that experience won’t make better next time.

Long term player benefits – winner!

Perhaps if I invoke the words of the legendary Lee grant… (http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/the-junior-gold-cup-is-kicking-its-goals/)

beserker

Herbert Moran (7)
Re Growing the game.
Rugby is fairly unique in that once you play it, it stays with you, get's in the blood, and other sports just don't do it any more.
However, this pathways thing is a nightmare -
1. all the good private school players are forced to leave the club system at U16's, and their club team falters.
2. School players trying to return to play are spurned. They are not invited back to anywhere as U19's. They compete with opens players who are 26.
Solve these and you solve the problem of opens player numbers.

We keep hearing about the need for FtoA TV. Well that isn't going to happen unless you can guarantee ratings. There is a whole theory of mass communications (you may have heard of such catch crys as The Medium is the Message etc). Ratings won't happen while the viewing public are not engaged. This won't happen while ever the game hangs on referee's decisions that can not be shown on replay. I don't mean to tell you all how to suck eggs but you have to talk TV talk if you're aiming there. Next time you watch an NRL game on TV stop to think how it has been totally transformed to fit that medium. To do this we need to say adios to NZ and SA RU, and get on with growing the game domestically, and with an open mind as to change.

Did you watch tonight's Tah's V Brumbies match? Great match but how was it decided? An un-verifiable scrum infringement. You can't sell that to advertisers and you need to fix this if you want FtA $.

hollowman

Peter Burge (5)
I don't see any ongoing need for the u16 nationals. The Junior Gold Cup seems to be providing the same or better opportunities for engagement and development of a larger group (ages 13&14, 15 &16) of talented juniors.

It would be a great shame to see any change that diminished the ongoing selection of Australian schoolboy teams. I am interested to understand why the existing school competition and selection pathway wouldn't continue (excepting the u16 comp)?

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I don't see any ongoing need for the u16 nationals. The Junior Gold Cup seems to be providing the same or better opportunities for engagement and development of a larger group of talented juniors.

This is internally inconsistent: do you think JGC is meant to be elite or is meant to provide opportunities for a larger group?

Man on the hill

Alex Ross (28)
This is internally inconsistent: do you think JGC is meant to be elite or is meant to provide opportunities for a larger group?

Not inconsistent - do you have a difficulty with providing an elite or sub elite experience to a larger body of players from a more diverse geographic background?

hollowman

Peter Burge (5)
Junior Gold is open to the best players from 24 regions across Australia. They are talented and the U17 sides contain mostly the same boys that would have played in the U16 competition. I am interested to understand if there is a need for anything more "elite" at these ages.

For the older boys the Australian schoolboy teams are the pinnacle of representative rugby. Is there really a plan to dismantle this? Why couldn't the National Schoolboy Championships continue to be the selection pathway?

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
So its no longer elite but sub elite...proves my point.
And i dont care either way but the point is no one seems to know what its meant to be

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
<snip> I am interested to understand if there is a need for anything more "elite" at these ages.
<snip>

If the reports that certain Schools are discouraging boys from attending JGC, or that boys/families are choosing school over JGC are true, then I would suggest that the JGC is not universally seen as being elite enough for some.

hollowman

Peter Burge (5)
I am sure that is true. Do you think the absence of an u16 competition might see changed views in the future? If not what elite opportunity are they looking for? State rep teams selection? I think that's best done at the open level.

There have been many comments about the shortcomings of the school, club representative pathways and the Australian Junior Rugby Union endeavour. Seems like JGC is a breath of fresh air.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
<snip>Seems like JGC is a breath of fresh air.

It is a breath of fresh air, but it does need to fit within a player development continuum from Minis to Wobs (with offramps) if it is not the entire pathway in its own right.

Despite the JCG, it seems that some of the Pathway stakeholders will be doing little to change their behaviour or view of their contribution to "the pathway".

The pathway still seems unpaved, twisty, poorly signposted and unlit.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I've watched U16 schools comp in NSW (i.e. when CHS play CCC, ISA,"GPS" and CAS), U16 nationals and state champs U16s final.
JGC is not a patch on any of that based on what I have seen and heard.
I think it is moot whether there is a need for elite at any age below about 16. All that says to me is that the ARU should spend the money on getting kids into the game from 10-15.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
IS,
I'd be keen for you to expand your thoughts on the pluses and minuses for both the JGC & the 16's Schools carnival.

The plus: its pretty obvious that there are a number of kids in JGC that have not played much union.
That's the minus too.
This is a very expensive way to teach converts how to play union.
The reality with the schools U16 is that its pretty bloody good: nearly all kids of that age are at school so it has real potential to find kids in the smaller school systems and high schools systems - plenty of my contemporaries who were league boys got a run in CHS opens some stayed and some went back to loig - if you tweaked the school tournament just a touch you'd actually have a really good talent identification opportunity from which you could build your JGC squads for 2015.
The selection process for this season was a debacle and no matter what anyone says plenty of the top boys from U16s 2013 are not playing in this comp - which makes it not as good as it could be.
There sounds like there'll be an unofficial u16s nationals in some way shape or form: that will keep the home fires burning during these dark ages.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
<snip>
The selection process for this season was a debacle and no matter what anyone says plenty of the top boys from U16s 2013 are not playing in this comp - which makes it not as good as it could be.
There sounds like there'll be an unofficial u16s nationals in some way shape or form: that will keep the home fires burning during these dark ages.

While the ARU seems to be chucking out both the baby and the bathwater because they think that they cant afford the soap to bathe the baby, and they have invested heavily in baby soap futures, they seem to have overlooked that investing in baby futures is not clever if both babys and bathwaters have been chucked out.

While the "underground" will probably keep the faith with various "unofficial" U16 tournaments going in one or other guise despite what the Vladimir Putin Pulver has dictated, it will only serve to continue to muddy the waters as to what is the real Pathway to Gold.

Further, the rare commodity of volunteer effort and unpaid interns (upon which our game is totally dependent) is not going to be used efficiently, to grow the game AND to make provide opportunities for the talented to get more gooderer.

Confusion will continue to reign.

Status
Not open for further replies.