1. Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Nerdishness and Solar power

Discussion in 'Everything Else' started by Pfitzy, Jan 28, 2016.

1. oztimmay Peter Sullivan (51)

I did notice that. Very classy and thoughtful.

Who are you, and what have you done with the real DP?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  2. Dismal Pillock Greg Davis (50)

Local terrorist investigates distance from house to sun “for no particular reason”

--SMH—

A local terrorist has attempted to calculate the distance from his house to the sun but refuses to be drawn into local speculation that he is planning on piloting his entire house all the way to the sun by using the house’s stored solar power and then, after having landed on the surface of the sun, proceed to steal all of the sun’s precious solar power.

[IMG]

“Don’t be stupid” retorted the terrorist. “When, I mean, if I land on the surface of the sun, I would just be there to replenish the solar needs of my house. I would never take more solar energy from the sun than I need to run the utilities of my house for 6 or maybe 7 millenia.”

“Besides, the sun is almost 800 million miles way” continued the solar terrorist. “In laymen’s terms, that’s like from here to Wollongong and back 800 times. No doubt as my solar powered house forward slash spacecraft gets closer to the sun, one or more of my family members will start whinging that it is “unseasonably warm today”. ‘Not compared to the surface of the sun it’s not’ I will say in response, and then, coincidentally, I will point out of the window and say to the whinging family member, ‘speaking of which, there is the surface of the sun right outside the window there. You won’t be needing your jacket today, valued family member. A light windbreaker will suffice.”
    Pfitzy, cyclopath and Hugh Jarse like this.
  3. cyclopath Phil Waugh (73)

Clownishly big pixels for Pfitzy's junk. Or Pfitzy's pfist pfull of junk.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
  4. Pfitzy John Eales (66)

Big fists
  5. Pfitzy John Eales (66)

6. Pfitzy John Eales (66)

7. Lindommer Andrew Slack (58)

Adding to Pfitzy's renewable theme I'll make a small diversion to recycling. We should recycle ALL batteries, that includes car batteries, the AA/AAA/D batteries used in torches, remotes, etc. I save mine for a trip to the local Battery World or when I'm shopping at Aldi.

It's all covered here: http://www.batteryrecycling.org.au/home
    Pfitzy and boyo like this.
  8. 2bluesfan Nev Cottrell (35)

9. Pfitzy John Eales (66)

That would make it economically sensible from the get-go for most consumers.

My Powerwall v1 has 6.4kWh storage (6kWh usable) with power of 3.3kW. Gets me through most nights unless there are consecutive rainy/overcast days.

Powerwall v2 has 13.5kWh storage (suspect 13.0kWh usable) with power of 7kW. That's enough to power my house nearly all day if full, even if there is cloud cover.

AND ITS THE SAME FREAKING PRICE INSTALLED.

I'm kind of pissed about that, Elon ;)

BUT the offset incentive of $5K in Sweden basically makes it half-price and that is payback time of about 6 years, depending on your setup.
    2bluesfan likes this.
  10. Pfitzy John Eales (66)

11. Dismal Pillock Greg Davis (50)

Local Terrorists Head Declared “Asteroid of Mass Destruction”.

--SMH--

A local terrorists head has been declared by NASA to be an Asteroid of Mass Destruction. And, as an “AMD”, the potential cranial crater-maker has been placed on both the NSA and NASA A.M.D. Watchlists.

[IMG]

According to asteroid spokeswoman Dr Aunty Doris Gunston, “if this sun terrorist wankers plan doesn’t come off, and his noggin misses the sun and shoots off into space, that asteroid-sized skull of his could potentially use gravity to slingshot around the sun and rocket back down to earth and wipe out the whole fucken planet. In summary, I can only say that if you see this pricks head careering towards the sun at a great rate of knots, please get in touch with your local constabulary and have a bit of a yarn to them about it. Tell them Aunty Doris sent you and be sure to ask them how were those fucken scones last week.”
    Pfitzy and Spieber like this.
  12. Pfitzy John Eales (66)

Sunrise crew were at my joint today - airing tomorrow at 7:47AM Sydney time.
    mst and Sully like this.
  13. Pfitzy John Eales (66)

14. oztimmay Peter Sullivan (51)

Pfitzy likes this.
  15. Sully John Eales (66)

Jeez Koshie is a tosser.

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk
    ChargerWA and Pfitzy like this.
  16. Pfitzy John Eales (66)

Don't really get Kochie's point about the average home ownership time. Nobody really thinks about that, and I'd suggest my demographic does more than 7 years anyway. Kids in school n shit, 7 years is the blink of an eye.

The main thing is: 50 cents a day. Or 75 cents if you take out the customer referrals and application fee.

As I write on the blog, that may actually improve with the new panels, and the Reposit controller doing smart things for the system.

http://unleashthepowerwall.com/2017/02/21/year-of-the-powerwall/

Look at it this way:

I have about 6kWh to fill up every day, and can only do it at 2.5kW (3.3kW peak)
    I export about 10kWh every day, even after that.
    I import a tick under 4kWh across the year.

SO

If I had 13kWh to fill in a PW2 at 5kW (7 peak)
    I'd export (10 - 7 =) 3kWh *only*
    BUT in terms of import, I'd need less of that - I reckon < 1kWh / day because of the bigger battery with a bigger output on it.

My advice: if you're spending a couple of grand on electricity a year, first look at your billing and the efficiency of your house.

If, like me, replacing your air con will cost $10K+ for a saving of a few hundred a year, and getting double glazing will cost $15K+ for not much better, then Powerwall 2 might be for you!
  17. Highlander35 Paul McLean (56)

Do the double glazing people still get 90+% of stock imported from the UK?

That was supposedly a big chunk of the cost.
  18. Pfitzy John Eales (66)

No idea. But the company who quoted just over $7K to replace the windows below were offering 20% off until end of Feb. That's for the uPVC framed stuff as well so its not the cheap shit.

Windows are 1810 x 1800 (left) and 2650 x 1810 - about 8sqm of glass. Not cheap.

[IMG]
  19. Pfitzy John Eales (66)

Further: if I was building a house, I'd definitely chuck in double glazing everywhere, and minimise my window space full stop. Save a fortune over the life of the building if you get a good star rating.

BUT I can achieve almost the same effect for about $1200 in exterior awnings for the two windows above.
  20. oztimmay Peter Sullivan (51)