1. Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Nerdishness and Solar power

Discussion in 'Everything Else' started by Pfitzy, Jan 28, 2016.

1. Pfitzy John Eales (66)

Fuck his website is a bunch of toss as well.
  2. Pfitzy John Eales (66)

HJ Nelson likes this.
  3. Lindommer Andrew Slack (58)

Give us a rundown on the same size system as yours re pricing.
  4. Sully John Eales (66)

Damn! That's a good price.

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk
  5. Pfitzy John Eales (66)

Comparison to my system is kind of invalid, as things have leaped ahead a generation almost. Can't buy my little battery any more so the LG offerings blow it out of the water. But adding another battery at ~$5K (less STCs) looks tasty.

So, the comparison you need is versus today's Powerwall 2, to be equitable. Let's say you're spending $16k - which is Package #6 in the LG Chem doco:

Powerwall 2 package would include ~5kW of panels and 13.5kWh of battery storage.
    LG Package package has 9.6kW of panels (+92%) and 19.6kWh of storage (+45% storage)

Really it comes down to what your usage is. Figure our your daily usage and then get the battery that is about 75% of that. Should see you through pretty much every day with a bit of planning.

For example, if your annual power bills add up to using 22kWh per day (8000kWh per year or roughly 2000kWh per quarter), then you could probably get by with Package #5 in that document (7.2kW of panels, 13.1kWh of storage).

Maybe even Package #4 (4.8kWh / 9.8kWh storage).

Need to think about things like electric hot water, which is usually done "off-peak" (controlled load) and therefore is a low price and not affected by storage.

Someone in that situation might even consider Package #4 and a smaller solar system, and solar hot water.
    cyclopath and HJ Nelson like this.
  6. Pfitzy John Eales (66)

TOO good as it turns out - scam in operation. Avoid!
    Sully likes this.
  7. terry j Ron Walden (29)

link?
  8. Pfitzy John Eales (66)

From someone I know who looked into it:

"It appears that this is a very good scam. If you go to https://www.lgenergy.com.au/ there's a message on the main page stating that LG has no affiliation or association with LG Energy Solutions. I spoke to LG Energy last night and was told that they were investigating legal options. I found a forum at https://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/299332?page=1#comment that seems to confirm my suspicions. Fortunately, I haven't given them any money.seems the deal WAS too good to be true!!"
    terry j likes this.
  9. Lindommer Andrew Slack (58)

The real LG wouldn't be too happy about LGES's use of their logo. I'd imagine many would take that as a genuine LG offer.
  10. ChargerWA Mark Loane (55)

It's such a fucking shame that the Solar industry, like nearly any industry which has a growth phase at the hands of a government subsidy attracts all of the wrong sorts.

I know these were scammers, but half of the "legitimate" installer companies out there aren't much better.
  11. Baldric Jim Clark (26)

12. waiopehu oldboy Tim Horan (67)

If the price looks too good to be true, it is.
  13. 2bluesfan Nev Cottrell (35)

14. Pfitzy John Eales (66)

Its a very interesting move for the American market. They have a LOT of re-roofing over there, though I question the validity of installing one if you live in Tornado Alley ;)

Here? Not sure there is quite the demand for it. There will be people who think solar panels are ugly I suppose and want something a bit more low profile. Add in the fact that they're much better insulators than standard concrete roof tiles, and its heading in the right direction.

BUT I still have questions over how the wiring standards hold up, particularly with metallic sarking and steel framed houses.
  15. ChargerWA Mark Loane (55)

Looking at the tile it has two connector pins on the top which must clip into a DC Bus. The cost here is going to be micro inverters. If you're not across the efficiencies of solar panels, basically if you have multiple solar cells linked together and one fails, it drags the performance of the rest in the group down to the performance of the bad one. With so many potentials for failure with so many tiles you will need a lot of micro inverters instead of one big inverter, to insure yourself against a cell failure.

But either way, this is the future.

The more I think about Musk the more I think he is a modern day Gailileo or DaVinci. Feels like the dude might single handedly save the planet.
    Sully likes this.
  16. 2bluesfan Nev Cottrell (35)

cyclopath likes this.
  17. Pfitzy John Eales (66)

Can't be done. I'll just up the fuckery count.

I've put my concerns about wiring specs above, and with the patent SolarCity lodged now released to Tesla Energy, some clever cookie has dug it up:

https://electrek.co/2017/08/30/tesla-solar-roof-tile-system-explained-patent/amp/

Conductive adhesive to join multiple tiles together. To Charger's point:

Not necessarily - if you join a set of tiles together into (say) 250-300W arrays, like existing solar panels, you can use a micro-inverter or power optimiser for that array only.

So it becomes similar to the panels I have, with the SolarEdge Optimisers on each panel. One panel dies or gets a bit of shade, the others keep humming.

The solar tiles aren't designed to be every part of the roof - they're meant to integrate with existing tiles or shingles as well even though the cost of the solar tiles is supposed to be cheaper over the lifetime.

Not sure I'd want my entire roof stuck together with conductive adhesive.
  18. boyo Paul McLean (56)

I have now two strings (?) of PV panels and a battery. I will be interested to see how it all goes.
    Pfitzy likes this.
  19. Tex Peter Fenwicke (45)

How's the sun energy gig coming along chaps?