• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

New ARU Contracting post 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
http://www.rugby.com.au/News/NewsAr...on-approve-changes-to-player-contracting.aspx

From 2016, the ARU will have the ability to offer players the opportunity to play one season in a foreign domestic competition during the course of a long-term contract with Australian Rugby.
In addition, players who represent Australia in Rugby Sevens at the 2016 Olympics will be granted permission to play the 2016/17 Japanese domestic season without affecting their eligibility for the Qantas Wallabies upon their return in 2017.
Flexible contracts allow the ARU and Super Rugby provinces to reward players deemed to be making a significant contribution to Rugby in Australia.
Nationally Contracted Players – The ARU will exclusively manage the number of flexible contracts it negotiates with Nationally Contracted Players to ensure the pool of players available for Test selection is sufficiently strong each year.
Non-Nationally Contracted Players – Each Super Rugby team will be permitted one flexible contract per season for non-Nationally Contracted players.

Edit: formatting for the table below didn't work. The first line of each bit relates to Super Rugby, second to the test season and third to an overseas season.

Australia - Provincial

Test Rugby

Overseas (Japan)

2016​

Full season of Super Rugby, including Finals.​
Eligible for Qantas Wallabies selection during the June Test Window.​
Participates in the Japanese domestic competition following Super Rugby.​
2017​

Returns to Super Rugby in April/May, also includes eligibility for Super Rugby Finals.​
Eligible for all Qantas Wallabies Test matches.​
N/A​
2018​

N/A​

Australia - Provincial

Test Rugby

Overseas (France)

2016​

Eligible for Qantas Wallabies selection during the June Test Window.​
Participates in the French domestic competition following Super Rugby.​
2017​

Returns to Australia midway through the year and, following a rest period, will not eligible for Super Rugby in 2017.​
Eligible for Qantas Wallabies selection during the Rugby Championship and Spring Tour.​
N/A​
2018​

N/A​

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Does not define anywhere the definition of "long-term".

Simple solution: offer 3 year contracts only to the players threatened by foreign money. Anything else is short-term.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
I would prefer players heading overseas keep their eligibility for the first two Bledisloes, not just the June tests, cause these are the tests where we need our strongest team anyway.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Does not define anywhere the definition of "long-term".

Simple solution: offer 3 year contracts only to the players threatened by foreign money. Anything else is short-term.

I think it's saying that long term is 3 years.

SevensPhD

Chris McKivat (8)
I think the exodus of players may be one part, but it also sets up players wishing to play in the Olympics a chance to recoup income they may lose by missing some Super Rugby in 2016.

The ARU is not in a position to pay 7s contracts to the same level as Super Rugby, so allowing them to go to Japan after the Olympics negates some of the player salary issues.

Deputy Van Halen

Larry Dwyer (12)
Absolutely the right move, we can't compete with France and Japan money otherwise. Even more impressive is they're allowing club players to do it also which is great for those fringe wallaby level players.

It's a big turn around from having 'no appetite' for sabbaticals only a few months ago though.

I think this and the NRC are some great moves made this year, really shaking things up. They won't have immediate impact to the national team but there is potential for the future.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
This seems like the smart move to me. It still maintains the integrity of the Wallabies and Super Rugby by ensuring that players are playing in Australia.

It will give a few players the chance to push for Olympic selection by playing on the IRB Sevens circuit in 2016 and also set up a contract in Japan afterwards to ensure they are still rewarded financially.

I think it is the right move not to open up seletion to players playing solely overseas.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
hopefully there will be some sort of yardstick(s) implemented..

such as players who have fulfilled "either 30 tests or 3 full seasons of Super rugby whilst under ARU contract"..

that's just an example, not a suggestion..

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
I've been one of the people asking for this type of concession for a while. Great idea that will give the ARU better bargaining power without actually increasing player payments. We'll still lose some players but this will ensure that we lose less

T

TOCC

So tin-foil hat time, the timing of this press release aligned with Karmichael announcing his departure from AFL and the Reds squad announcement for next year has all seemed to align fairly well.

The ARU have previously refused to offer Karmichael a top-up to secure him for the Reds, yet the new contractual rules allow Super Rugby teams to offer one sabbatical per player per season. Are we going to see Karmichael head to Japan in the 2015-2016 window for a sabbatical?

Theory 2 is replace Karmichael with JOC (James O'Connor).. The ARU might have refused JOC (James O'Connor) a ARU top-up and the QRU have decided to use the sabbatical offer as a substitute.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I'd hate to think that this has come about to secure the signing of Karmichael Hunt..

if its to keep players like Folau, Douglas, Cummins, etc wearing the gold then thats an entirley different story..and an acceptable and important one..

T

TOCC

Of course it hasn't come about for the signing of Karmichael and thats not what i was suggesting.

If you read the article there are two categories, one for Wallabies and nationally contracted players and then another for Super Rugby(non-wallaby players).

The allowance of sabbaticals would first and foremost be for the longer term retention of the top Wallabies, but if this rule helps Super Rugby teams recruit players like Potgeiter and Karmichael then so be it.

Status
Not open for further replies.